The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not a time to panic (RHD Proposal - Discussion)

Well, we certainly did not see all the domino's falling so fast, but I am reminded that Benning let Tanev and Stecher go to Free Agency, so I am sure he has a plan. I am sure the plan has increased in cost over the past day, but never the less, Benning intentionally created the hole on RHD.

So, what are our solutions?

Promotion from within. Not a great answer, as we do not have a #1/2 RHD to replace Tanev, so this leads me to think that Benning will go outside to fill this role. The third pairing RHD, is replaceable from within, albeit, it is quite possible that it will not be as good as Troy Stecher, but that is unseen, so OK, let's accept that the 3rd pairing is replaced from with in.

Candidates....................Chatfield/ Rafferty/Tryamkin. My money is on Tryamkin, long term. See you in the spring Nikita. The fall back is Chatfield. But let's not forget Benn, who is here already. So, I just do not see a concern for the 3rd pairing.

Offersheet. Well, there are , 2 obvious candidates for this option. The first being Cernak and the second being DeAngelo. Both would be good options for different reasons. Cernak is my first choice as he is a big body, who can play big minutes along side of Hughes. Cernak is on a cash strapped team, and could be gotten. Trade for this Dman, is not a option as there is no way Tampa wants to move this guy, he is part of their future, so the only way is to offer sheet him. DeAngelo, is a more risky play, as he has deficiencies, but Offensively, he can run a PP and can put up the points. He will be wanting a big money for his payoff for his solid season last year......thank god for Covid. Either player should be offered the maximum 4.3 Million X 5 years, which a 2nd round offer sheet compensation requires. Certainly, their cost as a solution has more value than a 2021 2nd round pick.

Trade. This is where there is the largest selection of players. The problem is cost. The question is how much and who? Listed below is a number of suggested players, who may be available for the right cost. This answer will weaken our team, from where ever you move the asset from. It isn't imperative that Benning acquire a replacement asset from the UFA market, if this is the answer. The answer to who may be moved has been exhausted over the past few moths on CDC, with alot of CDC, getting out pitchforks out, when some suggestions have been made. But certainly Benning should act from a place a strength in regards to what we move. RW being the obvious, but there are others. My opinion, is we re-sign Toffoli, if Benning is considering this option. As the obvious choices are Boeser, Virtanen and Gaudette, who has recently been thought as, as not being capable of holding down the 3rd line center spot. Pearson is the other obvious choice, who may get you a better than average RHD. Excluding using a current roster player, using prospects and draft picks are, the only other way we can obtain a good/solid RHD, and may be in fact part of a package to get that RHD. So be prepared.......it will hurt, to varying degrees.

Trade options, that have been discussed are: Pesce, Severson, Ristolainen, Colin Miller, Josh Manson and Montour to list a few. If we are to give up asset, it is important that it be spot on with the payment. As I do not know these players well enough to actually gauge their value and what their true ability to play top line is, I will not make any absolute trade suggestions, but only will state that they all most certainly have varying costs. Buffalo seems to be the team with the most options, not necessarily the best options, but maybe the team that would trade one.

UFA signings.

Pietrangelo.............Go big or go home. $8.00 Million per year is about our Max offer, IMO. Not sure that gets him. Signing Bonus up front, and a NMC.........Bonified Norris Candidate.

Harmonic................ a version of Tanev, in almost every way. Not as good, but close! Also made of glass, but may benifit from playing with Hughes as well

Hainsey...................an old (39) smart veteran......good for 1 year, 2 at tops

I am sure Benning is planning his escape route, and I will watch with anticipation......if not just a tad bit of fear. IMO, and I said it last night. If Benning screws this up, he will be gone, and of his own makings. This is Benning's defining moment. Let's see how he gets out of this one!

I open the floor! Where do you sit on this? What is our answer?

Edited by janisahockeynut

AP is going to cost way too much cap wise and term, so if we can't land Cernak, I'd take a flyer on Hainsey for 1 year and have the D as follows:

Hughes Myers

Edler Benn

Juolevi Hainsey (calming, vet presence for Juolevi to learn from)

*Rafferty, Fanta for depth

Thinking if Benning makes a trade, it'll be a right shot D. Maybe a player who makes a little too much, or isn't a fit anymore. This may allow Benning to add Eriksson or Sutter in the trade.

Stralman (34) - $5.5 x 2 years

Subban (31) - $9 x 2 years

Boychuk (36) - $6 x 2 years

or better yet

Severson (26) - $4.2 x 3 years

Dumba (26) - $6 x 3 years

Manson (28) - $4.1 x 2 years

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I initially thought of him too but he is like Salo and Tanev in that every year he misses significant time due to injury

ahh good point, I didn't realize how much time he's lost over the last few years. 

The more I think of a 1st pairing Dman for Hughes, I think of someone who will be with the team for years..............

Personally, I do not see that anywhere in our system, so Benning needs to go out and get him.....

Other that AP...............there is no one that answers that decription on the UFA list........

So, oK..................is anyone prepared to Ship our 2020 1st  of with Eriksson to get the cap room? I mean AP is worth it...........

IMO, it is really a no brainer.................Ok, so with Eriksson gone we would have 14 Million to play with.........

I know it is alot, and I know it would be painful, but how about AP  at 5 years @ $10,000,000............NMC........Max Bonus

He would totally be worth it! Yes? @Dixon Ward ????

Edited by janisahockeynut

32 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Respectfully, I would say the Max for Pietrangelo is over $8 mil.  They were willing to pay OEL $8.25 for 7 years so Petro would definitely be worth more.

Imagine building the team going forward with Hughes and Petro.  

Not quite sure how far in the future you're building with Alex Pietrangelo, a 30 year old (see Brent Seabrook or Brent Burns). If he won't sign a shorter term deal due to his age, then walk away. Do we really need to be back here again in 4 years saying "damn, that Pietrangelo contract is an anchor, now we can't sign any good forwards".

2 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Not quite sure how far in the future you're building with Alex Pietrangelo, a 30 year old (see Brent Seabrook or Brent Burns). If he won't sign a shorter term deal due to his age, then walk away. Do we really need to be back here again in 4 years saying "damn, that Pietrangelo contract is an anchor, now we can't sign any good forwards".

I agree that is a risk, but he has been very healthy and has gotten better and better.  I don't think he will see a serious dropoff for a few years.  These guys would eat minutes and solidify the top 4 for at least 5 years.  A player like AP is worth so much as he plays 25 minutes and makes everybody around him better and more confident.  Our forward group and our younger d would be in a much better position to thrive.  A RHD who is better than OEL is a much better option, imho.  

I would at least think Benning should give it a shot.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ABNuck said:

I think you structure it front end loaded, so as to make it buy out friendly..........yes? Something like .........

year 1...................14 million..........................7 million signing bonus up front + 14 million regular (21 Million)

year 2...................12 million .........................12 million regular.......................................................(12 Million)

year 3...................10 million .........................10 million reguilar......................................................(10 Million)

year 4....................8 million. ..........................4 million signing bonus + 2 million regular................( 6 Million)

year 5 ...................6 million ...........................1 million regular.........................................................(1 Million)

10 Million AVG

Can we do that? Or what is the best we can do?

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Thinking if Benning makes a trade, it'll be a right shot D. Maybe a player who makes a little too much, or isn't a fit anymore. This may allow Benning to add Eriksson or Sutter in the trade.

Stralman (34) - $5.5 x 2 years

Subban (31) - $9 x 2 years

Boychuk (36) - $6 x 2 years

or better yet

Severson (26) - $4.2 x 3 years

Dumba (26) - $6 x 3 years

Manson (28) - $4.1 x 2 years

THIS should be our target right here...I would actually consider him an upgrade on Tanev to be honest...and only 26

Last 2 seasons combined Tanev blocked more shots (281 to 184) but Severson way out hit (164 to 61) and obviously outscored (70 to 32).

He'd be worth Jake, Level 2 prospect, and a conditional 1st or 2nd (dependent upon if we make the playoffs and advance past the first round again).

This initially would look like a bit of a win for the Devils (just like the Miller deal looked good for TBL), but in the long run I think we win.

And maybe Damon would be happy to get out from behind Subban on the depth chart...play top pair...

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

THIS should be our target right here...I would actually consider him an upgrade on Tanev to be honest...and only 26

Last 2 seasons combined Tanev blocked more shots (281 to 184) but Severson way out hit (164 to 61) and obviously outscored (70 to 32).

He'd be worth Jake, Level 2 prospect, and a conditional 1st or 2nd (dependent upon if we make the playoffs and advance past the first round again).

This initially would look like a bit of a win for the Devils (just like the Miller deal looked good for TBL), but in the long run I think we win.

And maybe Damon would be happy to get out from behind Subban on the depth chart...play top pair...

it would cost us a lot... I do wonder if Jake would be part of a larger package deal here, they do need Fs with size and Jakes got speed to burn.