The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not a time to panic (RHD Proposal - Discussion)

24 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think you structure it front end loaded, so as to make it buy out friendly..........yes? Something like .........

year 1...................14 million..........................7 million signing bonus up front + 14 million regular (21 Million)

year 2...................12 million .........................12 million regular.......................................................(12 Million)

year 3...................10 million .........................10 million reguilar......................................................(10 Million)

year 4....................8 million. ..........................4 million signing bonus + 2 million regular................( 6 Million)

year 5 ...................6 million ...........................1 million regular.........................................................(1 Million)

10 Million AVG

Can we do that? Or what is the best we can do?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

14 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

THIS should be our target right here...I would actually consider him an upgrade on Tanev to be honest...and only 26

Last 2 seasons combined Tanev blocked more shots (281 to 184) but Severson way out hit (164 to 61) and obviously outscored (70 to 32).

He'd be worth Jake, Level 2 prospect, and a conditional 1st or 2nd (dependent upon if we make the playoffs and advance past the first round again).

This initially would look like a bit of a win for the Devils (just like the Miller deal looked good for TBL), but in the long run I think we win.

And maybe Damon would be happy to get out from behind Subban on the depth chart...play top pair...

He already plays top pair over Subban - Severson led their Ds in ice time with 23 minutes.  NJD need Ds - it seems illogic for them to trade one when they are looking to add Ds.

Didn’t know much about severson but read this https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.allaboutthejersey.com/platform/amp/2020/8/28/21403207/damon-severson-trade-bait-or-blueline-building-block-devils-stay-or-go

and he probably is worth a punt on. Cost would be interesting though.

I’ve made no attempts at hiding my like for Phillipe Myers but realistically I cannot see why the flyers would let him go, and what we have that the flyers would be interested in 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think you structure it front end loaded, so as to make it buy out friendly..........yes? Something like .........

year 1...................14 million..........................7 million signing bonus up front + 14 million regular (21 Million)

year 2...................12 million .........................12 million regular.......................................................(12 Million)

year 3...................10 million .........................10 million reguilar......................................................(10 Million)

year 4....................8 million. ..........................4 million signing bonus + 2 million regular................( 6 Million)

year 5 ...................6 million ...........................1 million regular.........................................................(1 Million)

10 Million AVG

Players would be bringing less home under that structure.  Escrow is 20% next year but gradually drops to 6% in 2023/24.   The new structure for longer deals is like a bell shape where the highest payment is in the middle of the contract.  Players will want to protect themselves at the start from higher escrow and at the end against a buyout.  They'll also want more signing bonus at the end as bonuses can't be bought out.  

Pietrangelo is looking for a 7 year deal at 9M or so - that's 63M or more when you are offering only 50M. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Wouldn't you if you picked him over Tkachuk haha

Haha. Yeah sure. Tkachuk is a dirt bag. Juolevi is a young prospect that I haven't given up on. 

He's had unfortunate and unexpected injuries but seems to be trending well. 

2 hours ago, mll said:

Players would be bringing less home under that structure.  Escrow is 20% next year but gradually drops to 6% in 2023/24.   The new structure for longer deals is like a bell shape where the highest payment is in the middle of the contract.  Players will want to protect themselves at the start from higher escrow and at the end against a buyout.  They'll also want more signing bonus at the end as bonuses can't be bought out.  

Pietrangelo is looking for a 7 year deal at 9M or so - that's 63M or more when you are offering only 50M. 

Thanks for the info...

So, originally, I designed the contract to (A) give him a huge ballon payment to entice him, and then (B) give him as small of a regular salary on his 5th year, so as is we had to trade him after his 4th year due to bad play or have him retire die to bad play, it would not be such a dramatic pain........

So you say Bell.......Hmmm?

year 1.........$8,000,000 regular salary............................................................................$8,000,000.........................NMC

year 2.........$8,000,000 regular salary............................................................................$8,000,000.........................NMC

year 3........10, 000,000 regular salary + $10,000,000 signing bonus...........................$20,000,000.........................NMC

year 4.........$1,000,000 regular salary + $6,000,000 signing bonus...............................$7,000,000........................NMC

year 5.........$1,000,000 regular salary + $6,000,000 signing bonus...............................$7,000,000.........................Limited NTC

This is better "IF" allowed, as it gives us buyout periods in the last 2 years, where we, don't actually get take a full penalty on them. Personally, I think he plays well for the full 5 years.......................

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hey Surfer, I am aware of our Cap restrictions, if that was what you were getting at............

My thought is this.......................

L. Eriksson still has 2 years on his contract and does not really figure into any of our re-signings. There is little doubt that his contract money is not needed, when his contract end.

We simply will not need his money...............so trading him now is money not earmarked for any specific player.........aka Hughes or Pettersson

So, trade Eriksson now, and use his $6,000,000 and our other cap space and Buy AP, as above.........

Is there any player available that provides us with as good or better player..............short/long answers are the same..............no!

Let's go and get him!

Eriksson + 20231st + Lind to a Cap team, will do it..........I am sure!

AP>>>>>>>>>>than Tanev.........therefore a forced and substantial improvement

19 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks for the info...

So, originally, I designed the contract to (A) give him a huge ballon payment to entice him, and then (B) give him as small of a regular salary on his 5th year, so as is we had to trade him after his 4th year due to bad play or have him retire die to bad play, it would not be such a dramatic pain........

So you say Bell.......Hmmm?

year 1.........$8,000,000 regular salary............................................................................$8,000,000.........................NMC

year 2.........$8,000,000 regular salary............................................................................$8,000,000.........................NMC

year 3........10, 000,000 regular salary + $10,000,000 signing bonus...........................$20,000,000.........................NMC

year 4.........$1,000,000 regular salary + $6,000,000 signing bonus...............................$7,000,000........................NMC

year 5.........$1,000,000 regular salary + $6,000,000 signing bonus...............................$7,000,000.........................Limited NTC

This is better "IF" allowed, as it gives us buyout periods in the last 2 years, where we, don't actually get take a full penalty on them. Personally, I think he plays well for the full 5 years.......................

In year 3 (2022/23) escrow would still be 10% vs 6% a year later.  

Bonuses can't be bought out.  A buyout after year 3 would carry a buyout cap hit of 9.67M for 2 years and another 2 years at 333K.  Similar figures for a buyout after year 4:  9.67M + 333K.  It's not ideal to have little salary left in a buyout as it increases the buyout cap hit.

LeBrun on Insider Trading confirmed that Pietrangelo is in Vegas visiting and for now is the only team he is interested in.  

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, mll said:

In 2022/23 escrow would still be 10% vs 6% a year later.  

Bonuses can't be bought out.  A buyout after year 3 would carry a buyout cap hit of 9.67M for 2 years and another 2 years at 333K.  Similar figures for a buyout after year 4:  9.67M + 333K.  It's not ideal to have little salary left in a buyout as it increases the buyout cap hit.

LeBrun on Insider Trading confirmed that Pietrangelo is in Vegas visiting and for now is the only team he is interested in.  

Ok.....not going to keep re-jigging the contract, but there must be a way, that gives us an easy out in year 5, while giving AP an early incentive...........

In regards to Vegas being the only team...............no doubt they have the inside edge, but that does not stop Benning from getting in there with his best offer

I am sure that Benning has his agents phone number

2 hours ago, mll said:

7 yr deal for a 30 yr old seems like a bad move unless we win a cup early and deal with the pain for 2-3 yrs

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

10 Million AVG

Players don’t want front loaded contracts right now because escrow will be coming down over the next few seasons. Look at all the new contracts signed. Most are “hump” structured. Low dollars early. High dollars in the middle. Lower dollars at the end 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sbriggs said:

7 yr deal for a 30 yr old seems like a bad move unless we win a cup early and deal with the pain for 2-3 yrs

@mll

A 7 year deal of 63 million has a average cap of

12,600,000 million per year.......................that is steep! 

Edited by janisahockeynut

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Is Erik Gustafsson still out there? If so he could be a great value signing. I didn’t know he had a 60 point season! He is a left handed dman. To acquire a RH dman I’d say something around Virtanen for Severson or work a deal with Tampa again or just be the bad guy and offer sheet Cernak.

Would rather not screw over Tampa and sour the relationship. The Miller trade worked out very well for both sides, perhaps another deal can do the same.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I can envision a few targets, provided we have one of Rafferty/Chatfield filling in the 3RHD position:

UFA: Hamonic at 1/$2.5-3 Million. More of a defensive D to stabilize a pairing with Juolevi, allowing Rafferty and Edler to pair together. It's possible to even go all in on Pietrangelo, but that really puts 2021-2022 signings into question (Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko).

Trade: David Savard would be a cheap acquisition as CBJ is looking to clear cap for a major signing (allegedly), though ideally we need to clear a contract ourselves, say Sutter for a 5th to a team that needs to hit the cap floor. Could pair with Edler or Juolevi. 

Offer Sheet: Cernak or Pulock. Could target either around the $4 million mark, which I think will be enough to disrupt both NYI or TBL's Salary Cap structures, plus only compensate a 2nd round pick.