Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] 26 players elect salary arbitration


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

By going to arbitration, Jake can't be given an offer sheet. I think he's eligible? This gives us more time to negotiate a fair contract with him.

You think ppl will offer sheet Virtanen and he'll sign it for 1.9 or below?

 

Also for all the hate Virtanen has gotten throughout his career, this is by far the most unfair. 25 other players elected salary arbitration including Olofsson, who was a Calder competitor, and Josh Ho-Sang, who has been an AHL contributor but nothing else. Come on guys.

 

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

Jake was on pace for an almost 50 point season while constantly getting punished and put on the 3rd and 4th lines.  Very limited time in the top 6.

 

He deserves a pay bump.    As you can see from all the players leaving,  looks like this team is not  willing to overpay their guys anymore.  

Ftfy

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many people going "bye Jake"... but why? So far we've only signed Holtby. We honestly don't know how arbitration will be this time around with the pandemic (they could overall account for that and give lower amounts to players).

 

I don't see how this is "bye Jake" unless if something else happens in the meantime.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I love how no one's talking about Ho-Sang asking for salary arbitration. Holy crap is he a cancer.

There were people here who wanted Ho-Sang. All I said to that was "nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!"

 

People just like to think everything will be perfect, which can work in some scenarios, but not when managing a team imo. lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

You think ppl will offer sheet Virtanen and he'll sign it for 1.9 or below?

 

Also for all the hate Virtanen has gotten throughout his career, this is by far the most unfair. 25 other players elected salary arbitration including Olofsson, who was a Calder competitor, and Josh Ho-Sang, who has been an AHL contributor but nothing else. Come on guys.

 

I think that going to arbitration avoids an offer sheet scenario.  I also said that it gives them time to negotiate a fair contract. Your valuation is your own.

Edited by RWMc1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Take the source as you want, but I was talking to my buddy tonight who's close friends with an NHLer. This player says that Virtanen is a wild child. Every time he gets paid, he spends that money, and puts on a ton of beer weight each summer (and has started to this year already). Further, he says that he doesn't take off-season training seriously and it's not shocking when he calls his trainer to cancel a session (can happen 4 times a week sometimes). 

I think the hope for him to mature is lost. Trade the kid. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Take the source as you want, but I was talking to my buddy tonight who's close friends with an NHLer. This player says that Virtanen is a wild child. Every time he gets paid, he spends that money, and puts on a ton of beer weight each summer (and has started to this year already). Further, he says that he doesn't take off-season training seriously and it's not shocking when he calls his trainer to cancel a session (can happen 4 times a week sometimes). 

I think the hope for him to mature is lost. Trade the kid. 

Heard same things about Stecher but that has no 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

So many people going "bye Jake"... but why? So far we've only signed Holtby. We honestly don't know how arbitration will be this time around with the pandemic (they could overall account for that and give lower amounts to players).

 

I don't see how this is "bye Jake" unless if something else happens in the meantime.

The CBA does not allow to use the financial condition of the team or the league as argument - they can't argue pandemic, drop in revenue or cap space.   The player side can use contracts that were signed when cap/revenue were still increasing. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Take the source as you want, but I was talking to my buddy tonight who's close friends with an NHLer. This player says that Virtanen is a wild child. Every time he gets paid, he spends that money, and puts on a ton of beer weight each summer (and has started to this year already). Further, he says that he doesn't take off-season training seriously and it's not shocking when he calls his trainer to cancel a session (can happen 4 times a week sometimes). 

I think the hope for him to mature is lost. Trade the kid. 

I don't believe it. He is not the worst player in the league at all. He has had his best season this year. You don't incrementally improve like he has by drinking his face off. Doesn't matter how talented you are.

 

Your friend has a $&!#ty source.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depending how all the other Ranger signings go and when it’s sent, we could send an offer sheet to Tony DeAngelo. I doubt he’d sign, the Rangers probably match, but he’s got lots of skill and we could use him on the right side :ph34r:

 

I expect Virtanen to sign or be awarded around 2.5 to 3m which is a little high but not out of line with his production. Also, all the complaints I read about him are the same things that were said about Todd Bertuzzi early in his career: the seeming lack of interest, lack of effort, questioned hockey IQ, etc. So, let’s say Virtanen isn’t going to be a first liner, but does he project to a second line power forward? I think so. 

Edited by CanuckMe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CanuckMe said:

Depending how all the other Ranger signings go and when it’s sent, we could send an offer sheet to Tony DeAngelo. I doubt he’d sign, but he’s got lots of skill and we could use him on the right side :ph34r:

 

I expect Virtanen to sign or be awarded around 2.5 to 3m which is a little high but not out of line with his production. Also, all the complaints I read about him are the same things that were said about Todd Bertuzzi early in his career: the seeming lack of interest, lack of effort, questioned hockey IQ, etc. So, let’s say Virtanen isn’t going to be a first liner, but does he project to a second line power forward? I think so. 

 

Can't offer-sheet players who have filed for arbitration.

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mll said:

 

Can't offer-sheet players who have filed for arbitration.

 

Oh that’s right. Well, let’s see where that deal lands. The Rangers say they want to sign him long term but he’s filing for arbitration so whatever they have offered hasn’t moved the needle enough.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CanuckMe said:

Oh that’s right. Well, let’s see where that deal lands. The Rangers say they want to sign him long term but he’s filing for arbitration so whatever they have offered hasn’t moved the needle enough.  

Brooks a few weeks back reported that they were looking to trade him.  His argument being that NYR don't want to pay their 3rd pairing D the 5M or so he could get.  Also he believes they want to open up a spot on RD for Nils Lundkvist.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Team is willing but when you have boat anchor contracts for boat anchor players what can you do?

 

loui 

sutter

Beagle

roussel

 

 

 

 

Beagle isn’t an anchor - do you actually watch games or just see the salary and see that he’s a 4th liner and go off on one. 
 

without beagle horvat would be doing all the defensive takes. He is also a model professional and by all accounts a fantastic mentor and example of worth ethic. He is this teams malholtra 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...