The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] 26 players elect salary arbitration

4 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

1.85 -- last year they (seemingly) always split the difference.

Ah that's what I was going for, completely misread it as Toronto offering 2 million and they are at 2.7 million and was splitting that down the middle.

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

"Dude"

23% offensive zone starts

2nd highest on ice sv% of all forwards (Sutter was #1).

59.1% faceoff guy - one of, if not the best in the NHL (taking dzone draws into consideration, he is the best).

19 Canucks gave up more on ice goals against per 60 (5on5) - not one of them played as hard minutes as he did.

#1 penalty killing forward (3:02/game).

Even better in the playoffs - where his line outscored the opposition 5on5, in ridiculously hard minutes against teams like St Louis and Vegas....

What sucks is your one-liner take - with literally zero context.....

despite the nay sayers about Beagle and his contract, Im a fan of his play. None more apparent than when Beagle was out earlier this year and Bo had to take all the key draws. It affected Bo's play offensively as hes being depended on too much. Beagle isn't going to get 30 - 40 pts but when he's out of the lineup, its very very noticeable in a bad way

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, filthycanuck said:

despite the nay sayers about Beagle and his contract, Im a fan of his play. None more apparent than when Beagle was out earlier this year and Bo had to take all the key draws. It affected Bo's play offensively as hes being depended on too much. Beagle isn't going to get 30 - 40 pts but when he's out of the lineup, its very very noticeable in a bad way

I don't mind Beagle's contract specifically, he just won a cup, we wanted to get him here. But when you have a handful of similar bad contracts, it becomes a problem. Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson. Benning's been much more smarter and ruthless with his contract signings though the past 2 years. Boeser taking a bridge contract like that, letting go of Tanev/Stetcher/Toffoli/Markstrom, Gaudette at 900K. So really grats on Benning. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

I don't mind Beagle's contract specifically, he just won a cup, we wanted to get him here. But when you have a handful of similar bad contracts, it becomes a problem. Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson. Benning's been much more smarter and ruthless with his contract signings though the past 2 years. Boeser taking a bridge contract like that, letting go of Tanev/Stetcher/Toffoli/Markstrom, Gaudette at 900K. So really grats on Benning. 

Really it’s just a sign of being in a different part of the rebuild. young players excelled, thus making our overpaid contracts bad that much quicker.

With Sutter, we were bringing in our temp 2nd line Center. Petey wasn’t supposed to jump to the top of our lineup so quickly and dominate. Sutter was just a place holder who was going to be in the last couple years of his contract when Petey was supposed to take over, and Sutters contract was supposed to be off the books by the time Petey was due a truly big raise. Same with the others (Beagle, Roussel, etc).

really it’s more a testament to Benning drafting and development that our kids overshot our timeline and put us in this cap crunch.

• Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, mll said:

Brown's hearing is on Thursday.  He can only get a 1 year deal as arbitration cannot cover UFA years.  

is it a team instgated or player instigated one for brown. I could see them not contesting to hard and then have him at an award over 4.5 and walk away potentially

17 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

is it a team instgated or player instigated one for brown. I could see them not contesting to hard and then have him at an award over 4.5 and walk away potentially

No team has instigated arbitration this season - all are player elected.  Both sides have to send in their briefs 48 hours ahead of the hearing. Those are the numbers from the briefs where each side argues their numbers.  When Ottawa submitter theirs, they might have not known that Brown is asking just above the walk-away limit.  

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

exactly.  you take a Beagle - or a Sutter out of the lineup and Horvat's role tilts more towards matchup and dzone starts - and his production dips.

The team then lacks a consistent secondary scoring line - and the pressure on the top line and powerplay unit increases.

The team as a whole shifts toward 'harm reduction' mode - excpept it's lacking hard minutes in the bottom six...add Gaudette in the mix in a center role and they had a center that needed to be sheltered...

Whether people like the 'foundation' or not - it's very necessary at the stage this team is at - to argue against it is essentially to prefer to remain a lottery team indefinitely until a couple waves of young players have developed at the NHL level.  That is a 'process' that doesn't necessarily end well - it's a long process where your young players are exposed - it requires a very patient fanbase and ownership that is willing to set back the prioritizing of results for years...

In the end - any serious team needs to build a real/serious bottom six imo - there are different ways of doing so, but those builds that don't 'need' foundation - are ones with veteran top 6s, and ones whose pmd isn't a 20 yr old....

23 hours ago, oldnews said:

"Dude"

23% offensive zone starts

2nd highest on ice sv% of all forwards (Sutter was #1).

59.1% faceoff guy - one of, if not the best in the NHL (taking dzone draws into consideration, he is the best).

19 Canucks gave up more on ice goals against per 60 (5on5) - not one of them played as hard minutes as he did.

#1 penalty killing forward (3:02/game).

Even better in the playoffs - where his line outscored the opposition 5on5, in ridiculously hard minutes against teams like St Louis and Vegas....

What sucks is your one-liner take - with literally zero context.....

Great take!  I personally look at Beags as Manny 2.0 in that he insulates our top Cs on critical FOs and kills PIMs so they do not have to. I understand that is the role of a 3C/4C, but at the same time he does it very well while providing the leadership and grit our young guys need. Overpaid? Fo sho. Undervalued aside from money? Yes because he does provide intangibles that many other teams would love to have. I honestly think that the egregious contracts of Sutts and LE cause us to lump Beags in with them when in reality, he provides much more value. 

3 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Great take!  I personally look at Beags as Manny 2.0 in that he insulates our top Cs on critical FOs and kills PIMs so they do not have to. I understand that is the role of a 3C/4C, but at the same time he does it very well while providing the leadership and grit our young guys need. Overpaid? Fo sho. Undervalued aside from money? Yes because he does provide intangibles that many other teams would love to have. I honestly think that the egregious contracts of Sutts and LE cause us to lump Beags in with them when in reality, he provides much more value. 

I think of Sutter similarly - when he's healthy - as a high end shutdown center who can counterpunch 20 goals in the process - so while he's been injured here a lot and people haven't had many consistent opportunities to see what he brings - I don't lump him in with Eriksson. 

Sutter and Beagle are a great one-two punch when they're firing on all cylinders - but we don't see that all that often (one good example, though - was the St Louis series (before Sutter - and Miller - wound up on the wings....)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1