The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Blackhawks core veterans “have had enough”

Rate this topic

On 10/11/2020 at 2:59 PM, BPA said:

If they took 8M apiece and they would have been able to retain scoring depth and a solid D and G.  And be perineal Stanly Cup contenders.

This is the lesson that we need to impart on Petterson and Hughes.

Do you two want matching $8 million x 8 year deals, or so you want to push for $10 million and probably be a bubble team for most of your career because we can’t build around you (see also Toronto and Edmonton examples).

Not sure what Toews is on about, they are basically a cap team once the flesh out their roster... it isn’t like they have torn the whole thing down.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/11/2020 at 12:45 PM, Quantum said:

Didn't they all get pissed the first time Stan Bowman dealt Brandon Saad?!? And then they lost Panarin to get him back...

I have a feeling one of those core guys are gonna be dealt soon. Probably Duncan Keith first. Could see Buffalo make a push for Patrick Kane. Brent Seabrook probably gets bought out next year. Not sure who the taker for Jonathan Toews would be...

Blackhawks management know it's time to rebuild. The players don't. Feels very much like Vancouver in 2015 with the Sedins.

Taker for Toews?

Aside from adding Stastny with a year remaining, i think toews would be an excellent #2 behind Schiefele

Wheeler Schiefele Connor

Laine Toews Ehlers

Copp Lowry Roslovic

Vesalainen 

They should have two cups, not three.  We should have won in 2011 and Boston should have won in 2013.

I love seeing them implode while acting like they were only a few pieces short of a fourth championship in spite of winning one playoff game.  Comical.

On 10/11/2020 at 1:36 PM, grandmaster said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2037605

The Chicago Blackhawks' veteran core - Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith, and Brent Seabrook - is fed up with the organization's early offseason moves, according to The Athletic's Mark Lazerus.

"They're pissed. The core guys have had enough," one source said.

Toews told Lazerus the club's offseason transactions don't align with his desire to win.

"Bottom line is, I want to win," Toews said. "The expectation for the other leaders on this team and myself is to come ready to training camp every year to be a playoff team. We prepare ourselves to win a Cup for our fans.

"I've never been told that we were going through a rebuild. That has never been communicated to me, for that matter. A lot of this comes as a shock because it's a completely different direction than we expected."

This offseason, the Blackhawks have let longtime goaltender Corey Crawford walk in free agency, traded forward Brandon Saad, and failed to extend qualifying offers to reliable depth pieces in Drake Caggiulaand Slater Koekkoek.

Each of those moves made Chicago's roster weaker on paper. They also come just months after the 12th-seeded Blackhawks eliminated the Edmonton Oilers in the qualifying round to make the playoffs for the first time since 2017.

Does that mean Johnathan, Patty, Duncan and especially Brent will forego some of their pay to help Bowman out? Didn't think so. 

Blackhawks fans have had enough too.  We've wanted Seabrook gone for years, and yet, he's still here. 

Hawks fans also have no qualms about losing Crawford, we appreciate what he's done in the past, but he's past his prime and has some serious concussion issues. Cagguila has the same concussion issues, he's one hit from being lost for season.

And Saad, really.  The guy who held the Hawks ransom for a bigger paycheck the first chance he got.  Give me a break.

It's time for a rebuild, simple as that.  Maybe all the moves won't work out, but its moving in the right direction in my opinion. 

Edited by skolozsy2
  • Cheers 3

10 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Taker for Toews?

Aside from adding Stastny with a year remaining, i think toews would be an excellent #2 behind Schiefele

Wheeler Schiefele Connor

Laine Toews Ehlers

Copp Lowry Roslovic

Vesalainen 

Chicago would have to retain cap on a deal like that to get value, let alone move him under the stagnant cap we'll likely have for at least a few seasons. 

He's making 10.5m for another three seasons, he'll be 33 next April. His productivity hasn't fallen off a cliff but even with his intangibles that's a tall order. 

Kane is probably worth his contract, Toews never was. Keith was good value, Seabrook's been an anchor for at least a couple years now. Chicago wasn't able to retain the depth necessary to sustain their window during the rest of their stars prime years. But nobody can say they didn't have a helluva run. 

Hope to see Hughes and Petey take contracts that don't hamstring us the same way. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/14/2020 at 12:37 AM, GhostsOf1994 said:

Taker for Toews?

Wheeler Schiefele Connor

Laine Toews Ehlers

Copp Lowry Roslovic

Vesalainen 

That's a fat "no" from Winnipeg. There's been discussion about this in Manitoba for years, simply because he's from here. However, nobody wants him here  precisely because of his price tag. You cannot remain competitive year in and year out with a contract like that, unless that player is top 3 in the league. Just not worth it. 

• Upvote 2

Toews is the most overrated guy in the league, hope no one helps them out. Kane was probably worth his contract but Toews definitely not. If he cared about winning he would have taken a lot less but he went for big money instead. Looks pretty good on him and "exposes them for what they really are" to bring back his infamous quote. 

• Cheers 1

Pah! Comes across as delusional. Everyone without rose coloured glasses could see a rebuild for the Hawks on the horizon. They doomed themselves by signing all those bloated contracts. Their core aged, declined, and the teams around them in the West got younger and faster. 

You reap what you sew, sunshine! 

The ex-nhl players i have met have tremendous pride and competitiveness.

Must absolutely suck to win cups in your your younger years and then not even compete in the playoffs when you are older.

I don't blame older vets for getting pissy and frustrated. It is in their DNA to want to win . It is who they are. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/15/2020 at 3:13 PM, kingfreako said:

Can you imagine the Sedins saying something like this?

I suspect that the Sedins did say something like this (to each other)... about how Chicago was screwed.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

On 10/13/2020 at 3:47 PM, Provost said:

This is the lesson that we need to impart on Petterson and Hughes.

Do you two want matching $8 million x 8 year deals, or so you want to push for $10 million and probably be a bubble team for most of your career because we can’t build around you (see also Toronto and Edmonton examples).

Not sure what Toews is on about, they are basically a cap team once the flesh out their roster... it isn’t like they have torn the whole thing down.

This will come down to JB and the teams ability to sell a vision.  Perhaps contracts very similar to Crosby & McKinnon - high value with extra years to bring down the annual cap hit.

At this point, the Laffs seems to be trending in this direction with exception of Stanley cups; there young stars wanted to get paid before the team has even won a cup.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

On 10/17/2020 at 12:29 AM, King Heffy said:

Blackhawks vets exposed for what they really are:  Spoiled, selfish punks with absolutely zero class or gratitude to an organization that gave them everything.  Says it all about them as men, really.

Don't like the fact that Toews made his opinion public, nor do I feel he should have any say in what moves the team makes.  But I also feel like you left out a few very important things in your description of him....like, a player with a tremendous amount of pride who had a big part in restoring a broken franchise, and also shows extreme loyalty to his teammates. 

• Thanks 1