3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Stats say he's pretty good defensively

Per 60 mins:

Hits 4.23

Blocks: 3.26

Giveaways: 1.66

Takeaways: 1.65

Shot attempts (team, 5 on 5)

10% more when he is on ice (11,138 for vs 10,125 against)

Is that from this past year when he was 3rd pair D on a good blues team or those his career numbers? I am sure Faulk wouldn't cost much in a trade tho

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Is that from this past year when he was 3rd pair D on a good blues team or those his career numbers? I am sure Faulk wouldn't cost much in a trade tho

Career numbers

Here are last season numbers:

Per 60 mins:

Hits 3.46

Blocks: 3.21

Giveaways: 1.64

Takeaways: 1.01

Shot attempts (team, 5 on 5)

1074 for vs 1066 against (still positive, but not so much)

Edited by Googlie

Just now, Googlie said:

Career numbers

I am not sure if those #s posted are good or not, I thought I remember hearing how his D zone play was crappy that is why Carolina fans wanted him out and partly why the team traded him, thought he was a major Minus player in Carolina

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I am not sure if those #s posted are good or not, I thought I remember hearing how his D zone play was crappy that is why Carolina fans wanted him out and partly why the team traded him, thought he was a major Minus player in Carolina

You are right - 6 of his 8 seasons there were negative, plus his one season with the Blues.   Career wise he is -103

Edited by Googlie

Nux have 7.9 in cap space with Virtanen heading to arbitration and he get's what?  $3?  Next, Gaudette get's what?  $1.5?  Not even counting Leivo

That leaves $3.4  with 22 players signed (including Ferland and Baertschi) so they add one more and move who and what for who?

The outgoing player has to be somebody that another team would want.  Pearson?  $3.75  + a pick for a RHD......

11 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Nux have 7.9 in cap space with Virtanen heading to arbitration and he get's what?  $3?  Next, Gaudette get's what?  $1.5?  Not even counting Leivo

That leaves $3.4  with 22 players signed (including Ferland and Baertschi) so they add one more and move who and what for who?

The outgoing player has to be somebody that another team would want.  Pearson?  $3.75  + a pick for a RHD......

Waive Eriksson + Baer + Rathbone. Bring up Juolevi.

Sign Vanaten $2.5m 1-2 years max, Fantenberg $1m x 2 years

Run this roster at just below $80m (incl Ferland + $1.7m performance overages + all buyout/recapture)

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Sutter Gaudette

Motte Beagle MacEwen

(Hoglander/Ferland)

Hughes Myers

Edler Vatanen

Juolevi Fantenberg

(Benn)

Demko (Holtby)

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

That 7.95 includes Baertschi and Ferland. Now we have to assume Ferland will play. Bury Baertschi to save 1.05 million, so now we are at 9 million. Bridge Gaudette at 1.25 million and I suspect Jake will cost around 2.5-3, so average out to 2.75. That leaves 5 million with 14 forwards. I think for example we could get Vatanen and Ceci signed for a combined 6 million, so just have to figure that out. Could send LE for that million and go a player short to start the season or if Ferland goes on LTIR, then it'll be much easier to manage.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

not quite.

trim a million each off of Virtanen and Gaudette, because you will be waiving Baertschi and Eriksson, whose roster spots go to those two...

So that leaves 5.4....

you can sign Leivo at 1.5 and effectively still have 4.9 mllion of cap...because one forward will have to either be waived, unless someone is on I.R. (Ferland?) - in which case they'd gain his cap season opening night...

Sign a million dollar depth D......4.4 million remaining to work with.

ie Fantenburg and Ceci at a million each....one of them, or Benn, gets waived....if Juolevi earns a spot. If it's Benn, add back a million of cap space.

So, they have some flexibility there - but it would still be worth moving enough cap to eliminate overage/bonus cap this season....

29 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Ferland will go on LTIR which means the Canucks can exceed the cap by $3.5 million.  I doubt he plays at all next year.  Baertschi can be waived and sent to Utica and his cap hit would be around $2.3 million, which saves the Canucks another $1 million or so.  So that would add almost $4.5 million to the cap.  Which leaves around $8 million to get a top 4 Dman and another forward and defenseman.  If they run with Rafferty as the 6th Dman on the 3rd pairing then they would have a little over $7 million to sign two players.  

I'd offer sheet Cernak at $4 million and see if Tampa blinks.  Maybe Benning can call Bergevin and have him offer sheet his old buddy Sergachev at $6 million on the exact same day.  I doubt Tampa would match both.  They would keep Sergachev and let Cernak walk.  These GM's need to grab some balls.  This is not a normal year.  An offer sheet in this climate may very well work for the team making the offer.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ferland will go on LTIR which means the Canucks can exceed the cap by $3.5 million.  I doubt he plays at all next year.  Baertschi can be waived and sent to Utica and his cap hit would be around $2.3 million, which saves the Canucks another $1 million or so.  So that would add almost $4.5 million to the cap.  Which leaves around $8 million to get a top 4 Dman and another forward and defenseman.  If they run with Rafferty as the 6th Dman on the 3rd pairing then they would have a little over $7 million to sign two players.  

I'd offer sheet Cernak at $4 million and see if Tampa blinks.  Maybe Benning can call Bergevin and have him offer sheet his old buddy Sergachev at $6 million on the exact same day.  I doubt Tampa would match both.  They would keep Sergachev and let Cernak walk.  These GM's need to grab some balls.  This is not a normal year.  An offer sheet in this climate may very well work for the team making the offer.  

Ferland is problematic because he still wants to play. There is every chance he heals up from his head injuries and gets clearance to play again. His agent says he still wants to play. So when that happens, the Canucks have to keep $3.5m of cap space ready for him. So although we can be above the cap, as soon as he is healthy we need to move $3.5m out. Not ideal, especially in this current market. If Ferland is on LTIR then the best move is to only go over the cap limit by about $900k and fill Ferland's spot with a ELC player that we can send down without being picked up on waivers, e.g. Hoglander.

So here's how it works:

$7.95m in cap space right now

Allow cap space to go $0.9m above the cap limit due to Ferland LTIR situation = $8.85m space

Replace Ferland on LTIR with Hoglander = back down to $7.95m space

waive Eriksson, Baer, Rathbone, saves $3.075m total = $11m space

sign Gaudette + Virtanen, say $4.5m combined = $6.5m space

Bring up Juolevi = $5.66m cap space

So $5.66m in space with 13F + 5D + 2G + 1LTIR. 

Need to sign a minimum of 2 more Dmen.

Assuming we can't move any contracts, I'm saying Vatanen + Fantenberg could be the best of what is available for that total price.

The other option is to just sign one of them and bring up Rafferty.

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

You're all full of assumptions.

You can't assume that Virtanen's arbitration is going to come in lower rather than higher.  You have to wait until the arb comes in.

You're suggesting that they sign Gaudette for less than he got last year?  Actually, $500 is less than the league minimum.

Assuming that Ferland doesn't attempt to play next season.  You really can't control that.  

So ya, you could bury Eriksson and Baertschi and save 1.075M each but you still have to have 23 players on the roster.  Ok you don't have to have that many, but it would be foolish not to.

Benning will have to make a trade to round out the roster because some salary will have to go out.  The math doesn't lie.

• Wat 1