The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres sign Taylor Hall

This signing and the Barrie signing are the two obvious cases where guys went after their money long term.  They took the positions where they'll have the most productive years, and took a small discount to be there, with the intention to cash in on their next contract.  

Barrie with the McDavid and Draisaitl power play, and Hall playing on Eichel's wing.  

42 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

why would either party want this? buffalo gonna get a slightly higher draft pick, Hall another year of missing the playoffs

I guess anything to retain Eichel...and they still have quite a bit of cap to retain Reinhart too.

Multi layered benefit. Hall gets 8 million dollars. Buffalo gets a player to try an appease Eichel. If it doesn't work, they can flip Hall for picks and prospects at the deadline and most likely Eichel will want to go, so those picks and prospects help accelerate their next rebuild. If it does workout, they potentially keep him and thus Eichel happy.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Multi layered benefit. Hall gets 8 million dollars. Buffalo gets a player to try an appease Eichel. If it doesn't work, they can flip Hall for picks and prospects at the deadline and most likely Eichel will want to go, so those picks and prospects help accelerate their next rebuild. If it does workout, they potentially keep him and thus Eichel happy.

Sure - if Hall waves his NTC & NMC - but why ask for one in a one year deal unless you're gonna completely control your destination a la Kesler & OEL

Anyway, I agree, there are some vague benefits but doesn't seem like the ideal fit

6 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Sure - if Hall waves his NTC & NMC - but why ask for one in a one year deal unless you're gonna completely control your destination a la Kesler & OEL

Anyway, I agree, there are some vague benefits but doesn't seem like the ideal fit

I guess he wants control where he may end up. Even if that hinders the potential return, they signed him for nothing, so any return they could get for him would benefit them. Maybe he's had discussions with which team he wants to join come playoff time that doesn't have the money to sign him now but hopefully will come TDL and will only waive to that team.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rubik said:

just a little reminder

I wish half our fans had the passion Duane has. Definitely not a bandwagon fan who cheers just for attention. I honestly thought he was going to cry. I thought I was going to. Hopefully buffalo gets back on their feet soon.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, linden17 said:

I wish half our fans had the passion Duane has. Definitely not a bandwagon fan who cheers just for attention. I honestly thought he was going to cry. I thought I was going to. Hopefully buffalo gets back on their feet soon.

we do have fans like this but the benningbros call them out

• Wat 1