The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why are we never in on top free agents? Toffoli gone to Montreal. Our group going forward.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

I know we are strapped by the cap but it always seems as though we are never in on big deals or big free agents and when we are we overpay or give up too much. Las Vegas for example seems to have no problem at all making trades or signing  big name players. It just gets frustrating to hear excuse after excuse we have no money. That tells me Benning doesn’t know how to manage the cap. Remember when Benning said this “We are in a good position, where free agents want to come here.” Well where are they? Lol. He got one free agent to come here. One more thing, I have heard how we can trade but honestly what assets do we have to trade? We really don’t have an abundance of prospects or assets like Tampa Bay has to be trading. So I don’t see that avenue unless I am missing something. I don’t want them to give up Rathbone for an older player. I just think they are screwed because they have spent the most in the league on their bottom two lines 23 million. It’s insane and it has put us in a spot where their hands are tied but that is on the GM. It’s 6 years with Benning at the helm and we took a big step forward but now are going to take a step back. It doesn’t make sense. How many more years does Benning get? That’s a long time for a GM. They are honestly talking about Virtanen and Baertchi that’s how bad it is. I just don’t think there is a quick fix for this year so that’s what makes it disappointing. Thoughts anyone? As I wrote this Toffoli is gone. You can’t sign your own free agents and you have assets for nothing. 17 games. Wow!

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Haha 1

Ya, but shouldn’t Benning be held accountable? It’s almost like it’s ok he put us in this position and he just gets to continue his ways. I am out of patience when it comes to Benning. It should never be one step forward two steps back. It’s a bad recipe for a franchise that wants to win a cup. They still need two defenseman, a forward, a power forward and some better players in the bottom lines that can contribute. Six years and counting! So what is the timeline for the Stanley cup now?

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

Toffoli isn't a true free agent signing (or wouldn't have been had he signed with Vancouver) because we already saw how he played with the team, which is usually the big unknown with free agents. 

I see no reason not to re-sign him, but I guess our top 6 moving forward is pettersson, horvat, boeser, Miller, and rookies.

The biggest issue I have is that we throw away picks and prospects for nothing. That’s Madden and a second for nothing. When you aren’t elite you can’t afford to do that. Benning isn’t held accountable either so that’s a problem. It’s scary to think he might make more trades.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

The biggest issue I have is that we throw away picks and prospects for nothing. That’s Madden and a second for nothing. When you aren’t elite you can’t afford to do that. Benning isn’t held accountable either so that’s a problem. It’s scary to think he might make more trades.

That's right....and for $4.25 M we could have had real top 6 winger...It makes no sense to me....I thought he was waiting for something north of 5M per year....those are Jay Beagle / Sutter dollars and he is way more valuable than those 2....!

The only solace is that I think Big Mac can be even more valuable in a top 6 role ...or even just top 9...

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya, but shouldn’t Benning be held accountable? It’s almost like it’s ok he put us in this position and he just gets to continue his ways. I am out of patience when it comes to Benning. It should never be one step forward two steps back. It’s a bad recipe for a franchise that wants to win a cup. They still need two defenseman, a forward, a power forward and some better players in the bottom lines that can contribute. Six years and counting! So what is the timeline for the Stanley cup now?

Be happy you're not an Oilers fan, they only made the playoffs once in 15 years after reaching the Cup final in 2005-06.

Edited by Phil_314

I just wish they hadn't pissed off Baertschi (or he hadn't pissed off their staff such that they wouldn't play him); there was a Tweet that came out recently that said that was what had happened, and if only they could mend bridges with him then they would have a fill-in that they could recoup value for, but that's probably too far gone.

If Benning wasn’t prepared to pay Toffoli $4.25 million when he traded for him then why did he make the trade to begin with?  He must have known that it would cost at least that much to re-sign him. This tells me that he was prepared to use Toffoli as a ten game rental all along and gave up significant assets to do so. I’ve always given Benning the benefit of the doubt until now but unless he has a surprise major trade in the works I’ve totally lost confidence in him.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

The lack of cap space is the amount we pay spent on bottom six forwards. Thats on Benning. The money is not well spent.

The money was well spent, we got toughened up or would your rather have Petey and Brock end up like the Sedins and pummelled whenever? Your ok with that? 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

The money was well spent, we got toughened up or would your rather have Petey and Brock end up like the Sedins and pummelled whenever? Your ok with that? 

Did you watch the playoffs? Go over the stats. The bottom six couldnt score and there isnt anyone who is taking care of anyone on the team. No one is scared of our bottom six. Vegas was laughing at our team. No respect there. I dont get where you saw our stars being protected.

I've come to accept the fact that the team has decided to go with the young players on ELC for next season. 

Moreover, the plan seems to be conservative cap spending in this COVID world + giving youth a chance + wait for bargain deals.

This prevents the bonus from getting carried over to next season and allows the team to evaluate the young players. Sort of like taking a step back now so that we can take two steps forward in the future.

I think there will be bargain deals to be had (cap crunched teams needing to shed good players) or if an impact player is available via trade at a below par value (e.g., OEL), they will still do those deals even if it means sacrificing the cap a bit. 

Toffoli, although a good player, would be a luxury and probably can be replaced in a season or two by Virtanen, Hog, Pod, or maybe even Lind.

Marky was replaced by improved Demko + Holtby. We will see how it goes but I'm feeling pretty confidence in the tandem.

Stecher is likely going to be replaced from within, my guess is Rafferty, Chatfield, and Tryamkin (later in the season) will be given the chances to step in. If Tryamkin does come over, he will be an upgrade over Stecher.

Tanev isn't replaced yet, and this is where we will have to wait for a bargain deal to pop up somewhere. If we can replace or even upgrade on Tanev, this team will still be competitive enough to fight for the playoffs.

It is disappointing that we missed out on all these good players, especially given that we were 1 game away from WCF. But I guess we have to play the long game.

• Cheers 2