The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why are we never in on top free agents? Toffoli gone to Montreal. Our group going forward.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

50 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

I like Benning but I am gobsmacked that he let Toffoli walk when he could have signed him for 4.5 million over 4 years  (considering he paid 6 Million for that superstar LE). A real head scratcher and JB dropped the ball on this one big time IMO

Well we have to sign a top 4 D and that won't be cheap, I'm betting Jimbo is gambling Hogs makes it to 2nd line so that leaves D where we need a D for 2nd pairing, it's not fair to ask OJ to take that spot quite yet.. maybe next year if he plays lights out... 

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Only that Benning said 2 months before BB getting hurt that he wanted another top 6 forward, (when imo it should have been a D man to focus on)

Also, wasn't Baer paid $3 Million to be on top 6?, They let him play on their farm team, so it wasn't to protect him from injury

The big deal i guess if you call it that is

Whether Madden makes it or not, he could have been packaged towards "keeping" a D full time 

He wanted another top 6 forward, before BB was hurt and he doesn't now?

The direction is all over the map, let the public know what the plan is

He let it be known he wanted a forward, what is the plan now?

Bullcrap of letting the public know what the plan is.  you don't tip your hand any more than you have to.

The whole point of my post was to highlight the nonsense of this thread. OP complains about not getting in on top FAs, but then complains about the term that canuck signings have gotten.  Lo and behold, it's a pretty common occurence.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Bullcrap of letting the public know what the plan is.  you don't tip your hand any more than you have to.

The whole point of my post was to highlight the nonsense of this thread. OP complains about not getting in on top FAs, but then complains about the term that canuck signings have gotten.  Lo and behold, it's a pretty common occurence.

Bullcrap? This isn't top secret information I am talking direction, not the players they want

The team and others do it all the time

So when the Canucks and others have pointed the direction, it is bullcrap? :)

I was responding to what you wrote though and just replying to your post

when you said

I don't get why people are freaking out over losing Madden (and a 2nd).  When Boeser got hurt last year, Toffoli was brought in to help ensure we got in the playoffs, and as a result we gave Tampa NJ a fairly low-end 1st rounder to wrap up the Miller deal.  Nice job, JB!

I doubt Madden is going to make a name for himself in this league, and he especially wasn't going to do it with the Canucks, so what's the big deal there?. 

My reply to that was this (I don't think it's freaking out to question something)?

I myself enjoyed employees feedback and would be upfront with them and they appreciated it

"Only that Benning said 2 months before BB getting hurt that he wanted another top 6 forward, (when imo it should have been a D man to focus on)

Also, wasn't Baer paid $3 Million to be on top 6?, They let him play on their farm team, so it wasn't to protect him from injury

Whether Madden makes it or not, he could have been packaged towards "keeping" a D full time 

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Bullcrap? This isn't top secret information I am talking direction, not the players they want

The team and others do it all the time

So when the Canucks and others have pointed the direction, it is bullcrap? :)

I was responding to what you wrote though and just replying to your post

when you said

I don't get why people are freaking out over losing Madden (and a 2nd).  When Boeser got hurt last year, Toffoli was brought in to help ensure we got in the playoffs, and as a result we gave Tampa NJ a fairly low-end 1st rounder to wrap up the Miller deal.  Nice job, JB!

I doubt Madden is going to make a name for himself in this league, and he especially wasn't going to do it with the Canucks, so what's the big deal there?. 

My reply to that was this (I don't think it's freaking out to question something)?

I myself enjoyed employees feedback and would be upfront with them and they appreciated it

"Only that Benning said 2 months before BB getting hurt that he wanted another top 6 forward, (when imo it should have been a D man to focus on)

Anyone is welcome to not like losing Madden, but a number of people here are definitely overreacting about him being gone, even if it was only for a few games of TT.  not saying you are, but there are plenty of signs in this thread, and a number of others.

Baer wasnt performing, and wasnt earning his pay this year.  with fringe players, that happens.  Some good years, some not.

I think people get too hung up on what GMs or coaches say. Like politicians, they say what they need to get by as often as not.  Or say things to misdirect, I dunno.

I dunno if getting Schmidt will make some of the Benning haters lighten up, but then I guess they (especially those that lost their minds over the Miller deal) can still complain about the lost opportunity of a 3rd round pick... such an overpayment for someone who wasnt even drafted, right?

And as for the top 6 that he wanted all those months ago... maybe he feels we don't need it now?  Instead of worrying about what I, or anyone else, thinks he should do, I'll wait and see what's on the ice.  That's actually worked out pretty well the last couple years, and the future looks brighter still.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Anyone is welcome to not like losing Madden, but a number of people here are definitely overreacting about him being gone, even if it was only for a few games of TT.  not saying you are, but there are plenty of signs in this thread, and a number of others.

Baer wasnt performing, and wasnt earning his pay this year.  with fringe players, that happens.  Some good years, some not.

I think people get too hung up on what GMs or coaches say. Like politicians, they say what they need to get by as often as not.  Or say things to misdirect, I dunno.

I dunno if getting Schmidt will make some of the Benning haters lighten up, but then I guess they (especially those that lost their minds over the Miller deal) can still complain about the lost opportunity of a 3rd round pick... such an overpayment for someone who wasnt even drafted, right?

And as for the top 6 that he wanted all those months ago... maybe he feels we don't need it now?  Instead of worrying about what I, or anyone else, thinks he should do, I'll wait and see what's on the ice.  That's actually worked out pretty well the last couple years, and the future looks brighter still.

Schmidt is like how we got Erhoff, It was a needed cap drop from them, as they couldn't to pay him $6 Million?(It was more about taking the payments than pick)

Surprised no one else offered more than that, as I am sure Vegas would rather have him back East? Lets hope he turns out better than our other $6 million Dollar Man :) He like Tanev was undrafted and similar age, haven't looked, but doesn't he play left side?

Glad to hear he finally wants to address the D, but he had no choice now ;)

31 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Schmidt is like how we got Erhoff, It was a needed cap drop from them, as they couldn't to pay him $6 Million?(It was more about taking the payments than pick)

Surprised no one else offered more than that, as I am sure Vegas would rather have him back East? Lets hope he turns out better than our other $6 million Dollar Man :) He like Tanev was undrafted and similar age, haven't looked, but doesn't he play left side?

Glad to hear he finally wants to address the D, but he had no choice now ;)

I hope it works out well.  I havent paid enough attention to him (I havent had as much time to focus on other teams as much as I did a few years ago), but on paper and with what some posters that I respect are saying, he seems like a decent replacement. Him and OJ could well be enough of an improvement over Tanev and Stech.

Guess we'll see what more JB has to do here.

Cheers!

Cap mismanagement bad signings Short sighted. 
That’s why. 
JB basically threw away a 2nd and madden he should have been able to Foresee our cap disaster ( that he created) was going to handcuff him this summer.
we aren’t a club that’s so deep that we can throw away picks and prospects for nothing. 
The fact we can’t trade From strength at any position is proof. 
Then Losing 4 top ufas for nothing because Of His poor ability Especially with signingS And vision Has screwed the team And the  ability to add depth. not sure how he still has a job. 

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, Kragar said:

I hope it works out well.  I havent paid enough attention to him (I havent had as much time to focus on other teams as much as I did a few years ago), but on paper and with what some posters that I respect are saying, he seems like a decent replacement. Him and OJ could well be enough of an improvement over Tanev and Stech.

Guess we'll see what more JB has to do here.

Cheers!

You will love his game. Should be a fan fave here really soon. It's another interesting pickup.

• Cheers 1

Haven't been stressin' at all since this FA season kicked off. I knew JB would sort it out. Don't know why?..I guess as others have suggested, he's getting better at the gig as he goes along.

This deal today makes up for the (unfortunately) short, Toffoli-stay.

It'll be interesting next season to compare the performance of NS & OEL...

9 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

Cap mismanagement bad signings Short sighted. 
That’s why. 
JB basically threw away a 2nd and madden he should have been able to Foresee our cap disaster ( that he created) was going to handcuff him this summer.
we aren’t a club that’s so deep that we can throw away picks and prospects for nothing. 
The fact we can’t trade From strength at any position is proof. 
Then Losing 4 top ufas for nothing because Of His poor ability Especially with signingS And vision Has screwed the team And the  ability to add depth. not sure how he still has a job. 

He should have anticipated a global pandemic?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, spook007 said:

Of course he should... and end all third world problems as well as find a cure for Cancer...

Maybe he's been relatively quiet during the free agent frenzy because he's working on that pesky covid vaccine

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Haven't been stressin' at all since this FA season kicked off. I knew JB would sort it out. Don't know why?..I guess as others have suggested, he's getting better at the gig as he goes along.

This deal today makes up for the (unfortunately) short, Toffoli-stay.

It'll be interesting next season to compare the performance of NS & OEL...

I agree with your post, but I think that's an unfair comparison for NS.  OEL is a franchise dman.

18 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Guess the better GM:

Benning: 2nd and madden for 17 games of Toffoli
Sakic: 2nd and 2nd for like 400+ games of devon toews.

Just follow what the top GMs in the league do and you quickly see just how woeful Benning is other than drafting.

Umm... Devon Toews hasn't played a game for Colorado yet... and has only played 116 games. With NYI. And hasn't re-signed with the Avs yet.

Edited by Chickenspear