The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why are we never in on top free agents? Toffoli gone to Montreal. Our group going forward.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

23 hours ago, joe-max said:

Myers, Eriksson, Hamhuis, Sundin, Mitchell, Vrbata, Holtby. Not the greatest list ever, but "never" isn't quite accurate.

Pavol Demitra, Ryan Miller, Manny Malhotra.  Also, Naslund and the Sedin's were the top UFA's in their unrestricted years, and they re-signed with the Canucks.  That counts too!

I agree, "never" isn't at all accurate, especially since the OP asked why we're never "IN" on the top free agents.  I would argue that the Canucks are usually "in", but don't always come out with the deal/player, as there are likely 30 other teams that want the best players in the league too.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I know I'll take heat but I'm not convinced Vancouver is the ideal city to play in.

Expensive

High taxes

Bad travel

Bad weather 

High pressure

Average endorsements?

How dare you! Hahahha

Vancouver is overpriced, so you're correct there.

High taxes? Also correct.

One of the worst travel schedules in the league? Correct.

Bad weather? Well, summer is usually nice, when you're not being smoked out, but the torrential downpour for the other 9 months wears a little thin. 

It is a high pressure atmosphere as the only other sports tickets are the Whitecaps and Lions. The Canucks are the primary draw by a country mile.

Not sure about endorsements though.  

I just heard on the radio tofoli saying he wanted to spend the rest of his career here they didn’t even talk to him they pissed away the assets to get him and by the time they circled around to talk to him his deal with Montreal was done.

If he been healthy we could’ve seen what a difference maker he truly was in the playoffs it might’ve got us to the conference final And farther in the playoffs you need heroes and difference makers and he was that.  i’m disgusted I’ve seen enough.  teams that are crappy for a number of years get top picks and good players a third grader can GM their way to make that happen Ben and get zero credit for this all he gets credit for is a series of choking moves and incompetence

Somebody tell me one GM in our history that has made more bad moves and bungles than this ass clown It’s like that is his greatest talent if you look at the history of him being here. get him gone before it’s too late and we waste the careers of these good young players we have

On 10/12/2020 at 12:00 PM, Schmautzie said:

If Benning wasn’t prepared to pay Toffoli $4.25 million when he traded for him then why did he make the trade to begin with?  He must have known that it would cost at least that much to re-sign him. This tells me that he was prepared to use Toffoli as a ten game rental all along and gave up significant assets to do so. I’ve always given Benning the benefit of the doubt until now but unless he has a surprise major trade in the works I’ve totally lost confidence in him.

I've never even seen you around to post during the sunny days.

Why are all these kids coming in at this point to re-iterate their lack of confidence in Benning? It's almost like they don't care what actually goes on, but they make a thread that isn't original in any way, and have no interest in being convinced otherwise. They made up their mind.

Our fanbase needs an overhaul.

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I've never even seen you around to post during the sunny days.

I’ve been a hardcore fan since 1970 so I’ve seen far more rainy than sunny days in Canuck land!

As I stated in my post I would only lose confidence in Benning if he didn’t have a major trade in the works and he pulled one off later in the day. Losing Toffoli at a low cap hit still bothers me though.

41 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

I’ve been a hardcore fan since 1970 so I’ve seen far more rainy than sunny days in Canuck land!

As I stated in my post I would only lose confidence in Benning if he didn’t have a major trade in the works and he pulled one off later in the day. Losing Toffoli at a low cap hit still bothers me though.

It doesn't make sense. You couldn't withstand nothing apparently for a less than a week?

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Umm... Devon Toews hasn't played a game for Colorado yet... and has only played 116 games. With NYI. And hasn't re-signed with the Avs yet.

Thanks Google, also a widely known excellent trade. Benning made one of his own now, a steal for Schmidt for just a 3rd. More moves like that please.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

It doesn't make sense. You couldn't withstand nothing apparently for a less than a week?

Speaking of not making sense what does that question mean?

I think what you’re asking is why would I lose confidence in Benning only a week into free agency?  It’s because he lost Markstrom, Tanev, Stecher, and Toffoli and only added Holtby. The Schmidt trade has restored my faith in JB somewhat but I still wish he had found a way to keep Toffoli.

On 10/12/2020 at 3:07 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I would have committed to a rebuild not go in between. How exactly have the players they signed done anything to that young players couldnt have done? Their experience has amounted to much. I dont mind if they signed them to shirt term contracts but htey offered long term and now its hindered their ability to do anything,  to keep players like Toffoli that they lost for NOTHING! 

Where did you go on this post?  I asked you if you would wait until Benning filled out the roster before complaining and this is your response. A few hours later Nate Schmidt is on the roster and I haven’t seen a post since.  Is Toffoli still gone for NOTHING? You have to move cap around to fill holes in the roster and occasionally it takes more than a day to complete all the transactions. My bet still says there is at least one more move coming but it may be later. If not I’ll still be happy that we are going to ice a defence that is a little bigger, a little less fragile and a little more offensive than we were this year. 

I would have loved to keep Toffoli. I think he fit the team character. That being said he missed important playoff games wearing down other players because he was injured and he's not getting younger. That might be a red flag for his future. Ill be good with not overpaying for an unknown looking forward to what's JBs plan. Remember it doesn't have to mean he signs free agents he's good on mid season trades and if the team plays well other players will open up their availability to a move to Vancouver. The word is out we have a team that has great potential. That's leverage !! Nice to have. Don't over pay when you are a destination location team. 

• Vintage 1

I’d honestly love to explore the idea of Palat Tampa need cap help we could make space ie. move LE or Sutter. Also LE baer moves back to AHL that 2m pretty sure Ferland will be LTIR that’s 3.5m. Maybe Tampa wants to move him for cap relief idk I just like the idea of Palat

On 10/12/2020 at 8:02 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Las Vegas for example seems to have no problem at all making trades or signing  big name players.

Off course, when small teams like Canucks save their arse all the time. Instead of letting them off the hook taking Schmitd of their hands we should have grabbed Pietrangelo or Theodore.

That is the kind if player making a difference. Schmidt has to fill both Tanevs and Stechers shoes. I hope he can that. But that not the question here. 

We should try to get the defence getting us to next level.

On 10/12/2020 at 8:02 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It just gets frustrating to hear excuse after excuse we have no money. That tells me Benning doesn’t know how to manage the cap. Remember when Benning said this “We are in a good position, where free agents want to come here.” Well where are they? 

Yes, where are they? Especially since he treated both Tanev and Stecher as he did.

Marky knew his position in advance but the other two was pushed away. 

• Wat 1

Ideally, Benning should add another good winger for depth but if he can't, that won't be a problem with the prospects that we have on the wing.

Hoglander has signed with us and Podkolzin has one more year in Russia. Plus they can just re-sign Leivo to add more depth.

Miller-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Leivo-Sutter/Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-McEwan/Roussel

Eriksson

We still have lots of bodies on that bottom 6 getting paid a lot, so Benning might not be too concerned adding a top 6 winger for now but it would be great if he can. 

27 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Off course, when small teams like Canucks save their arse all the time. Instead of letting them off the hook taking Schmitd of their hands we should have grabbed Pietrangelo or Theodore.

That is the kind if player making a difference. Schmidt has to fill both Tanevs and Stechers shoes. I hope he can that. But that not the question here. 

We should try to get the defence getting us to next level.

Yes, where are they? Especially since he treated both Tanev and Stecher as he did.

Marky knew his position in advance but the other two was pushed away. 

With no cap space we did the best we could and upgraded on Tanev. Who wouldn't like Pietrangelo but 9 mil/year would handcuff us in signing Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and down the road with Boeser. Once we lock up those 4, then Canucks could then give 9 million contracts to likes of Pietrangelo but not before that because I would take Petterson and Hughes over Pietrangelo right now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

With no cap space we did the best we could and upgraded on Tanev. Who wouldn't like Pietrangelo but 9 mil/year would handcuff us in signing Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and down the road with Boeser. Once we lock up those 4, then Canucks could then give 9 million contracts to likes of Pietrangelo but not before that because I would take Petterson and Hughes over Pietrangelo right now. 

Upgraded with a 6 million player that hancuff us as Myers? That's 12 mill we could have used to a real top dog. 

• Wat 2

On 10/13/2020 at 4:00 PM, Schmautzie said:

I totally agree with you. How else do you explain it. He knew what it was going to cost to resign him and they were desperate to make the playoffs. Two young assets is a lot for 17 games and not good asset management. I also noticed on this board that when you make any negative comments, people then complain about not making comments when they are doing well. People just don’t like facts either and get upset and try to chase people away. If your a long time fan you should not be ok, ever with not winning a cup by now. 50 years folks! Tampa has two cups already, Carolina, Anaheim for crying out loud. Not one GM so far has gotten it right in 50 years, so don’t give fans crap when they post negative comments and have been through the dark days and good days. We are just tired of obvious critical mistakes.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Thanks 2