The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why are we never in on top free agents? Toffoli gone to Montreal. Our group going forward.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

LOL.

The Hockey Writerz.

Anyone can publish!!

For sure.

But not everyone can access or even understand intuitively some of these advanced stats. 

Yes, it is just the writer's opinion, but it is somewhat of an informed opinion 

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

For sure.

But not everyone can access or even understand intuitively some of these advanced stats. 

Yes, it is just the writer's opinion, but it is somewhat of an informed opinion 

I've pretty much responded to the argument earlier in this thread...which I'll re-post below.

The problem with the take in the article you post - is they make an absurd claim to the effect that Baertschi "deserved" to play more.

If they'd asked - 'does Baertschi' deserve another chance, I'd be less inclined to rip their storyline.

But have they looked at his competition to earn minutes on this team?  Is he supposed to displace Pearson?  Hard to take seriously.  Had they made a case for him while acknowledging his competition, I'd respect their consideration of him - but the claim that he 'deserved' a spot - is a really weak take even if you just scratch the surface.  There have been countless ppg veterans in the AHL over the years - being a ppg AHLer at age 28 does not necessarily translate into 'deserves an NHL spot'.   I like Baertschi, but sorry - that's not how it works.

On 10/15/2020 at 10:28 AM, oldnews said:

Oh - if you heard it in a tweet....then who can argue with that?

Which player would Baertschi represent an 'upgrade' on in their respective roles?

Pettersson

Pearson

Roussel

Motte

?

Where was Baertschi supposed to play?

Baertschi was never the hardest guy on the puck - has never been characterized as hard to play against, or particularly notable in his battle levels.  He was a good potential middle six when he was healthy and had somewhat overcome his timidity - however, unfortunately, along with that added aggressiveness to his game came a string of concussions....I feel for him - he's talented and had he remained healthy, he's probably a 20 goal scorer somewhere - but the reality is that there is not fit for him on this team and it doesn't have to come down to tweet-stories about people being 'pissed off' with each other.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I've pretty much responded to the argument earlier in this thread...which I'll re-post below.

The problem with the take in the article you post - is they make an absurd claim to the effect that Baertschi "deserved" to play more.

If they'd asked - 'does Baertschi' deserve another chance, I'd be less inclined to rip their storyline.

But have they looked at his competition to earn minutes on this team?  Is he supposed to displace Pearson?  Hard to take seriously.  Had they made a case for him while acknowledging his competition, I'd respect their consideration of him - but the claim that he 'deserved' a spot - is a really weak take even if you just scratch the surface.  There have been countless ppg veterans in the AHL over the years - being a ppg AHLer at age 28 does not necessarily translate into 'deserves an NHL spot'.   I like Baertschi, but sorry - that's not how it works.

Baer, Raymond, Tammby, Etc. 

These guys are all the same. Too good and soft for bottom six, too bad for top 6.

There are thousands of great players that don't make the show. It's life.

You need to bring a unique tool. Motte grinds, Baer doesn't. Brock has a bomb...not Baer.

8 hours ago, apollo said:

This has the be one of the worst posts I've seen... 

Top free agents are constantly flocking to Vancouver... This is the best city in the NHL by far and we've never had a shortage of talent coming in. 

Vezina winner holtby ring a bell? 

Vezina goalie Ryan Miller? 

Myers was top dman available last year other than EK65 who destroyed SJ with his extension and he wasn't  a real UFA 

Toffoli Marky Tanev all would have took the same deal in Vancouver in a heart beat. Why? Because this city doesn't suck for raising a family and we have a better chance to win than mtl or Calgary. 

But you know what? Our GM decided we wanted to go a diff direction and didn't match those deals 

Not gonna waste my time further on this. What a terrible post (no offense) 

Give me a break. I am talking players like Petriangelo who are in their prime. Not the players you suggested who are past. Myers was not a top free agent. He was signed by us but it wasn't like people desperately were waiting in line to grab him at that price. You mention Miller and Holtby. Well they are also not at the top of their games either. Miller was old and Holtby has a lot to prove. I am meaning top players that you get excited about that choose to come here. I don't think Holtby, Miller and Myers fall into that category. I guess I should have made it clear that I mean Top free agents that you can really be excited about. I guess I should have said Top free agents with all star qualities. We haven't had a ton of those come through our organization. You are mentioning payers who are not at the top of their game.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Haha 2

On 10/12/2020 at 11:11 AM, Iggynucks said:

The last time we were in on a “top free agent” was Loui Eriksson and Milan Lucic. Almost all big name free agents become free agents because their price tag no longer matches their value.

This sums it up nicely. 

31 minutes ago, apollo said:

Myers was a top free agent. In fact pretty much every single hockey outlet had Myers as the #1 dman on the market. So yea you're just being ungrateful that Jim landed #1 dman on market and you try to hate on him... Yikes 

Source: (Sportsnet, hockeynews, it was unanimous... Myers was top dman and he chose van because of the city) 

https://www.tsn.ca/top-50-free-agents-bread-man-remains-at-large-at-no-1-1.1331108

5 year deal at 6 mill is a bargain for the towering defenseman... 

Miller... Again another player choosing here and turning down same deal in Edmonton, again iono y u being ungrateful... Miller didn't win a vezina but he was certainly world class his 3 years here. 

Holtby... He's not far removed from vezina and a cup... Elite goaltenders of his caliber don't suddenly disappear at age of 31 - he's gonna have a major bounce back year under Ian Clark so there's that... 

Look on the bright side of things man

Myers is not a #1 dman. I don't know anyone who would call him that. You obviously like Benning that's ok that's your right but you can't ignore some glaring mistakes that have put us in the situation that we are in where we can't move money out. Asset management has not been one of his strong traits. He has made good moves as well. I am just saying he does a lot of head scratcher moves or lack of moves at times and when he does he gives quite a bit up. Nate Schmidt not included because that might have been one of his best moves. Miller was 34 when he signed here not exactly young and for 6 million a season. Holtby has seen his numbers go down the past three years. You have to look at stats as well. A Stanley cup and vezina are great but he is not at the top of his game right now. Players at the top of their games have not been attracted to this organization and I laugh when Benning says we are finally at a point where free agents want to come here and we have only seen one so far. A lot of that has to do with the bad money in our bottom two lines. Something like 25 million on the bottom two lines that's ridiculous and it is why we can't do anything more in free agency. That is on Benning.

11 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Myers is not a #1 dman. I don't know anyone who would call him that. You obviously like Benning that's ok that's your right but you can't ignore some glaring mistakes that have put us in the situation that we are in where we can't move money out. Asset management has not been one of his strong traits. He has made good moves as well. I am just saying he does a lot of head scratcher moves or lack of moves at times and when he does he gives quite a bit up. Nate Schmidt not included because that might have been one of his best moves. Miller was 34 when he signed here not exactly young and for 6 million a season. Holtby has seen his numbers go down the past three years. You have to look at stats as well. A Stanley cup and vezina are great but he is not at the top of his game right now. Players at the top of their games have not been attracted to this organization and I laugh when Benning says we are finally at a point where free agents want to come here and we have only seen one so far. A lot of that has to do with the bad money in our bottom two lines. Something like 25 million on the bottom two lines that's ridiculous and it is why we can't do anything more in free agency. That is on Benning.

While not a #1 D-man, Myers was thought of, as one of the best available FA D-men, if not the best, at the time he was signed. We needed a D-man with some size/strength, who could eat minutes. In the press most thought he would/could get $7/year... so don’t see it as being a bad contract. ( he was sorely missed during play offs, when he went down). 
Unless you wanted a sieve, Miller was a great signing. Played really well, and while Holtby has yet to lace his skates for us, he was exactly, what this organisation was needing leading up to the expansion draft. A shortish contract, that leaves him open to be exposed, while he is mentoring/sharing the work load with Demko. He was not signed with the expectations of him being the next Markstrom. 
$25 million on the bottom 2 lines??? How do you get that? Eriksson was not brought in to play on the bottom line. He’s there as his play has deteriorated beyond belief. 
Folks here complain about the length of contracts handed out to veteran players, but when Benning doesn’t resign Marky for 6x6M, Tanev $4x4.5, or Toffoli.....

It must be wonderful to have the magic crystal ball, or even better to be able to pick and choose with hindsight. 
Benning is right in saying Vancouver is now a place, player wants to come to. 
The flat cap introduced as a result of empty hockey rings during this covid pandemic, can hardly be blamed on Benning. 
The 21-22 season will be interesting, and the 22-23 season is likely going to be the season, Canucks will have a real go at it... 

Why not just enjoy the ride? I know, I will...

Edited by spook007
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

I don’t see how Benning can off load any money to add to the forward group for this season.  There’s a reason they had to let Toffoli walk.  But I don’t see doom and gloom.  We were scoring at a decent rate before Toffoli joined the team.  I see our younger forwards still trending upwards.  I expect better, more productive seasons out of Pettersson, Boeser, Gaudette and Virtanen.  Maybe Hoglander makes the team, more likely Podkozin and Hoglander join next season.  This team should peak in 2 years time but we will be good next season barring any major injuries to our stars.

• Cheers 2

On 10/12/2020 at 12:42 PM, joe-max said:

Myers, Eriksson, Hamhuis, Sundin, Mitchell, Vrbata, Holtby. Not the greatest list ever, but "never" isn't quite accurate.

Miller, Demitra...

A lot of those guys were “top free agents”. So not sure what the OP is on about.

We had to let guys go this year because of being “in on” too many free agents previously. Generally, they are a mistake - but really wished we could have signed Toffoli to that contract. Had we signed one less Eriksson/Beagle/Roussel/Myers, we definitely could have kept him.

If anything CoVid creating a flat cap has taught Benning not to sign filler pieces on the 3rd and 4th lines at the beginning of free agency.  If you must round out the bottom six using free agents... they can be had at a bargain by waiting.  I like Benning.  He seems to have a plan in place.  He also has already made his mistakes as a GM.  I hope he can pull it all together and win a cup with this core in the next 10 years.

10 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Another Canucks "fan" rewriting history again to push a narrative.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

On 10/12/2020 at 12:21 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Did you watch the playoffs? Go over the stats. The bottom six couldnt score and there isnt anyone who is taking care of anyone on the team. No one is scared of our bottom six. Vegas was laughing at our team. No respect there. I dont get where you saw our stars being protected.

We made it TO the playoffs...that was exceeding expectations and it was because they HAD support.

Hindsight cannot be used to grade deals because they happen according to immediate and future needs and what's available in line with that at the time.  It costs to get players...just how it is.  Not very often a team is the beneficiary of them...and some turn out better than others.  I mean...JT Miller's a good example of how you don't know until you know.  We're not the only team that has players who didn't pan out as well as hoped/expected.  It's just a thing.  There are surprises both good and bad but you take your chances.

This is about getting the right "mix" of players and stats only tell half the story....what happens in the room and chemistry is something that's not shown on paper but matters.

Look at the team as a whole not just as individuals.

As for "Vegas was laughing at our team".  Yeah but we came within an inch of beating them....so maybe they should have been more focused/less cocky.  You noticed they quit bawking and baby lipping as we challenged them?   They became quiet awfully fast.  The no respect was their deal, not ours.  They don't all play a respectable game....Reaves is a perfect example of that.  Headhunting (McNabb?) and post whistle hits are part of their MO at times.   They're the new Bruins but until they do something, they've got nothing.  Just a big bag of wind.  I don't respect them, so it seems fair.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

We made it TO the playoffs...that was exceeding expectations and it was because they HAD support.

Hindsight cannot be used to grade deals because they happen according to immediate and future needs and what's available in line with that at the time.  It costs to get players...just how it is.  Not very often a team is the beneficiary of them...and some turn out better than others.  I mean...JT Miller's a good example of how you don't know until you know.  We're not the only team that has players who didn't pan out as well as hoped/expected.  It's just a thing.  There are surprises both good and bad but you take your chances.

This is about getting the right "mix" of players and stats only tell half the story....what happens in the room and chemistry is something that's not shown on paper but matters.

Look at the team as a whole not just as individuals.

As for "Vegas was laughing at our team".  Yeah but we came within an inch of beating them....so maybe they should have been more focused/less cocky.  You noticed they quit bawking and baby lipping as we challenged them?   They became quiet awfully fast.  The no respect was their deal, not ours.  They don't all play a respectable game....Reaves is a perfect example of that.  Headhunting (McNabb?) and post whistle hits are part of their MO at times.   They're the new Bruins but until they do something, they've got nothing.  Just a big bag of wind.  I don't respect them, so it seems fair.

You have to remember how badly outplayed the team was in those last few games. Not even close. The only reason we got there was because of Demko. The series was not close. We still have a long way to go to get close to Vegas.  Our bottom two lines if you look at the stats did not provide the support that is needed in the playoffs.

19 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You have to remember how badly outplayed the team was in those last few games. Not even close. The only reason we got there was because of Demko. The series was not close. We still have a long way to go to get close to Vegas.  Our bottom two lines if you look at the stats did not provide the support that is needed in the playoffs.

Not completely how it was...their game plan was to allow Vegas a lot of shots...just remove the good quality scoring chances.

Yes, Demko was huge in that but the amount of shots don't tell the entire story...again, stats only go so far.

We also had two back to backs in a week and that was a HUGE factor...the team had pressed, hard, to have that changed.  So it's not just a measure of good team versus bad team...you have to consider these things as well.  The guys ran out of gas, plain and simple.  They'd had a tougher route to get there than Vegas did.  It's all relevant.  Despite it all, Vegas still didn't beat us handily...it could have gone either way.  That's no laughing matter for them....they were expected to be there, we really were not.

We gave Vegas a good run...they were HORRIBLE in their first game vs Dallas and blamed the series vs us as part of that.  They were worn down.  You make it sound like a cake walk...it wasn't.

Anyhow...straying here.  JB made it perfectly clear he wasn't going to go the FA route as much as look inward to bring players up.  Very selective process and I'm glad he was restrained rather than desperate.  Measured.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 10/12/2020 at 11:11 AM, Iggynucks said:

The last time we were in on a “top free agent” was Loui Eriksson and Milan Lucic. Almost all big name free agents become free agents because their price tag no longer matches their value.

My first thought exactly. The only time you get a UFA on a reasonable deal is if you're in the chase for a cup and the player wants in on it, or a player really wants to go to a team for personal reasons. In both situations the player is willing to leave money on the table to get what he desires. Both situations are relatively rare. Hamhuis took less to come here as a UFA because he's from BC and the Canucks were in a good position to compete for the cup. Double incentive to take less than market value. Those types of deals don't come around often from the open market. Most high end UFA's want their payday and security (term) and go to the team willing to offer it. They may take a slightly lower offer for a better situation but they still get their big payday. 

I honestly think the term those bottom six UFA's were signed to was by design and the team is simply further ahead of where Benning & Co thought we'd be. Those UFA's were brought in as role models for our young guys to learn from. I've always believed young players can learn as much, if not more, from the veterans they play with as they can the coaches. The better those veterans are at their given role the better the example for young players to learn from.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not completely how it was...their game plan was to allow Vegas a lot of shots...just remove the good quality scoring chances.

Yes, Demko was huge in that but the amount of shots don't tell the entire story...again, stats only go so far.

We also had two back to backs in a week and that was a HUGE factor...the team had pressed, hard, to have that changed.  So it's not just a measure of good team versus bad team...you have to consider these things as well.  The guys ran out of gas, plain and simple.  They'd had a tougher route to get there than Vegas did.  It's all relevant.  Despite it all, Vegas still didn't beat us handily...it could have gone either way.  That's no laughing matter for them....they were expected to be there, we really were not.

We gave Vegas a good run...they were HORRIBLE in their first game vs Dallas and blamed the series vs us as part of that.  They were worn down.  You make it sound like a cake walk...it wasn't.

Anyhow...straying here.  JB made it perfectly clear he wasn't going to go the FA route as much as look inward to bring players up.  Very selective process and I'm glad he was restrained rather than desperate.  Measured.

Vegas stated Demko was the reason not the team. I am just stating facts. He got into their heads and if you want to believe they allowed Vegas to take tons of shots as a plan. I don't think that is a great game plan do you? It doesn't make sense to play them that way either.

I don't mind Benning not signing our own free agents but I do mind the fact that we can't do anything because of past mistakes. I am bringing up Eriksson because it is hurting us now. I know that he was expected at the time of the deal to do so much more and for a longer period but its been four years and we still have him on this team and you can't tell me a young player isn't capable of doing what he does on the ice for a better price. It is a deal like that which has hindered our ability to bring in better options now. Again Benning wasn't expecting for him to be this bad but the fact is he is on the bottom like making 6 million dollars. That is where he is at this stage of his career. I blame him more for deals like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel and Ferland. A player like Ferland who had the concussion problems before he made that deal. On his medical history alone, he should have not been signed for four years at that price. It's those deals that have hurt the team now. We can't go after or keep free agents like Tafolli. 

Do you think we are better off after this free agency period? We have more holes than when they left the bubble and they still weren't good enough then. If things are left the way they are, which I hope they aren't there is no way we think we can be better next year. I just hope there are a few more deals to be made to fill some of the holes left. We do have to give Benning the whole off season so we shall see.

20 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Vegas stated Demko was the reason not the team. I am just stating facts. He got into their heads and if you want to believe they allowed Vegas to take tons of shots as a plan. I don't think that is a great game plan do you or makes sense. 

I don't mind Benning not signing our own free agents but I do mind the fact that we can't do anything because of past mistakes. I am bringing up Eriksson because it is hurting us now. I know that he was expected at the time of the deal to do so much more and for a longer period but its been four years and we still have him on this team and you can't tell me a young player isn't capable of doing what he does on the ice for a better price. It is a deal like that which has hindered our ability to bring in better options now. Again Benning wasn't expecting for him to be this bad but the fact is he is on the bottom like making 6 million dollars. That is where he is at this stage of his career. I blame him more for deals like Sutter, Beagle, Roussel and Ferland. A player like Ferland who had the concussion problems before he made that deal. On his medical history alone, he should have not been signed for four years at that price. It's those deals that have hurt the team now. We can't go after or keep free agents like Tafolli. 

*Toffoli

We  ARE doing things....and we have to let the Loui thing go at some point.  "It is what it is".  He didn't pan out in relation to expectations...but not all players do, as stated before.

It's an important thing to groom new players coming in to the league and ensuring they have the right support pieces in place and some of these players who maybe don't show up on the scoresheets provide stability and composure that will allow the young guns a bit more freedom as they explore their new roles.  Secondary scoring is huge...but it's not everything.  These players can offer other things that aren't always seen on the higlight reels.  Steady, composed play that gets us out of trouble at times.  That can be relied on.

We've been drafting "better options" and they're a big component in this that maybe you're overlooking.  They're more of the focus and you're caught up on supporting cast.  Even IF they come at a cost...it's about being an important (veteran/experienced) presence for the guys transitioning in.  

The players you've listed all are part of that.  We can't speak to what they've meant to the process for others but the fact that Petey, Quinn, Bo, Brock did exceed expectations as the upcoming "core" speaks volumes.  We can't deny that the team as a whole, IS progressing.  Whether you see it or not.

It hasn't been perfect...but the fact that JB has spoken, outwardly, about not really wanting to go that route as much as in the past deserves some recognition.   He has learned from mistakes.  He isn't jumping the gun (as he likely could have with OEP) and is weighing things out in a bigger picture way that is something.

At some point, you have to look forward and let go of the past.  I feel like he's doing that, even if some fans just can't move on from done deals.  

Teams WILL have cap issues at times....as things change you don't always know what you've got until they're tried and tested.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Imo, JB has used this FA period to clean up some of his cap mismanagements and there will be next years (better) free agency class.  A few more years, these players with there bloated contracts will be gone - unless, JB & the owners decide to open there wallet again and overpay; hopefully, JB avoid making his past mistakes (hindsight).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

On 10/12/2020 at 12:29 PM, khay said:

I've come to accept the fact that the team has decided to go with the young players on ELC for next season. 

Moreover, the plan seems to be conservative cap spending in this COVID world + giving youth a chance + wait for bargain deals.

This prevents the bonus from getting carried over to next season and allows the team to evaluate the young players. Sort of like taking a step back now so that we can take two steps forward in the future.

I think there will be bargain deals to be had (cap crunched teams needing to shed good players) or if an impact player is available via trade at a below par value (e.g., OEL), they will still do those deals even if it means sacrificing the cap a bit. 

Toffoli, although a good player, would be a luxury and probably can be replaced in a season or two by Virtanen, Hog, Pod, or maybe even Lind.

Marky was replaced by improved Demko + Holtby. We will see how it goes but I'm feeling pretty confidence in the tandem.

Stecher is likely going to be replaced from within, my guess is Rafferty, Chatfield, and Tryamkin (later in the season) will be given the chances to step in. If Tryamkin does come over, he will be an upgrade over Stecher.

Tanev isn't replaced yet, and this is where we will have to wait for a bargain deal to pop up somewhere. If we can replace or even upgrade on Tanev, this team will still be competitive enough to fight for the playoffs.

It is disappointing that we missed out on all these good players, especially given that we were 1 game away from WCF. But I guess we have to play the long game.

Well it's not a bad thing evaluating how the prospects are looking, especially on D, not only for current roster spots as they come available but for depth when enevitable injuries occur (knocks on wood) 

ATM it looks ok as far as that looks right now, but that can change but as long as there's a single PMD in of them, that's all we really need.. we can't just depend on Hughes and Smitty to carry the puck out rather than the typical off the boards or glass where we only have a small chance of our forwards retrieving it and then have it right back in our own end again

Obviously, there's only so many times we can get away with that in goals against in playing the odds and sooner or later we get bitten and that happens way too much.. 

That's why we gave up so many shots and that needs to stop, not with a slowing it down from happening quite as much now that Smitty has arrived, I'm actually hoping OJ will be that guy but someone has to step in at any rate..