The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why are we never in on top free agents? Toffoli gone to Montreal. Our group going forward.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

On 10/19/2020 at 1:00 PM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I think it says more about your personality than it does mine when you attack someone behind a computer screen without knowing them. You are allowed to voice your displeasures. If you don't like it don't post here. It is pretty immature to attack someone without knowing who they are. Benning has made some good moves but he has also made moves that have hurt us. That is undeniable. If you want to look past that. That is fine. They are moves that make it hard to improve the team right now. I also said that we will wait and see what he does. As of right now the team is not better than when the season ended. It should be about progression not regression.

Yeah ...I mean who would attack someone from behind a computer screen without knowing them?  I mean yet another thread about how JB is and how terrible his signings are. How are “never in on big UFA’s”. I’m assuming you know Benning to attack him from behind a screen like this right?  Oh and please tell me all the teams that are better than when the season ended?  A flat cap has made life difficult for everyone and I personally like the moves so far. Are we better today than at the end of the year?  Probably not. Are we better than if we had given money and term to Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom and Stecher?  Yeah I think we are. We are finally in a position to play some of the youth we have been piling up, clearly have a plan to have available cap to sign Hughes and Petey. Go get a chocolate donut with the perfect amount of sprinkles and cheer up a bit. The glass may be half empty but at least no one pissed in it this year. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Yeah ...I mean who would attack someone from behind a computer screen without knowing them?  I mean yet another thread about how JB is and how terrible his signings are. How are “never in on big UFA’s”. I’m assuming you know Benning to attack him from behind a screen like this right?  Oh and please tell me all the teams that are better than when the season ended?  A flat cap has made life difficult for everyone and I personally like the moves so far. Are we better today than at the end of the year?  Probably not. Are we better than if we had given money and term to Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom and Stecher?  Yeah I think we are. We are finally in a position to play some of the youth we have been piling up, clearly have a plan to have available cap to sign Hughes and Petey. Go get a chocolate donut with the perfect amount of sprinkles and cheer up a bit. The glass may be half empty but at least no one pissed in it this year. 

Completely different as I am judging Benning based on his signings and trades and not on his personality. You like the fact our bottom two lines are one of the most expensive for what they bring to the table? That doesn't make sense. Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa, Detroit, will all be better then they were since the season ended. I don't understand the purpose of an argument when you end it with a weird way of trying to insult me. Seems immature to me. It would have been better to just state why you don't agree and leave it at that than coming up with childish responses.

59 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Completely different as I am judging Benning based on his signings and trades and not on his personality. You like the fact our bottom two lines are one of the most expensive for what they bring to the table? That doesn't make sense. Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa, Detroit, will all be better then they were since the season ended. I don't understand the purpose of an argument when you end it with a weird way of trying to insult me. Seems immature to me. It would have been better to just state why you don't agree and leave it at that than coming up with childish responses.

How is that different?  @The Lock was responding to your comments, not your personality. You do seem bitter and want it all. You don’t like any of our UFA signings but want to be “in on the next ones”. You don’t respond to the questions of others but keep ranting about what you want. How hard is it for Detroit to be better?  You want to call me immature and childish. Keep trolling somewhere else please. If you read anything I’ve written in this thread as well as several others our “overpaid” bottom lines are the exact contracts you want to be “in on”. I’m happy that we didn’t over pay on long term to anyone this year. If it’s a step back so be it. You think it’s OK to trash someone you don’t know but call out others. You name call and tell others they are childish. Do you know me?  You didn’t answer any of my questions or respond to any of my points but continue to throw comments at others that you don’t live up to. I’m up for healthy debate but all you do is whine and name call.  If you don’t like the way I end my comments too bad. Go cheer for Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa or Detroit since you seem to think their GM is doing a superior job. What do you actually want other than to complain that Louie sucks and we overpaid for some vets a few years ago when the team sucked?

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

How is that different?  @The Lock was responding to your comments, not your personality. You do seem bitter and want it all. You don’t like any of our UFA signings but want to be “in on the next ones”. You don’t respond to the questions of others but keep ranting about what you want. How hard is it for Detroit to be better?  You want to call me immature and childish. Keep trolling somewhere else please. If you read anything I’ve written in this thread as well as several others our “overpaid” bottom lines are the exact contracts you want to be “in on”. I’m happy that we didn’t over pay on long term to anyone this year. If it’s a step back so be it. You think it’s OK to trash someone you don’t know but call out others. You name call and tell others they are childish. Do you know me?  You didn’t answer any of my questions or respond to any of my points but continue to throw comments at others that you don’t live up to. I’m up for healthy debate but all you do is whine and name call.  If you don’t like the way I end my comments too bad. Go cheer for Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa or Detroit since you seem to think their GM is doing a superior job. What do you actually want other than to complain that Louie sucks and we overpaid for some vets a few years ago when the team sucked?

You just further proved my point. Look how upset you are. It's ridiculous. I never once said we should be overpaying to bottom line players so I don't know what your talking about. That is why I can't take anything you say seriously. When did I name call I said you were acting immature and from the tone of this last message I am not far off. I was talking to a totally different person that posted and you weren't even a part of that conversation. Your just bored and have to put your two cents in. You are angry because what I am saying is true. Those bad contracts for those players have helped put us in a bind right now. Again I have never said go sign bottom six free agents for lots of money. So I am done with you and whatever your trying to prove but I will keep on with the conversation without all this other petty stuff. Have a great rest of the night, weekend, year etc.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

17 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You just further proved my point. Look how upset you are. It's ridiculous. I never once said we should be overpaying to bottom line players so I don't know what your talking about. That is why I can't take anything you say seriously. When did I name call I said you were acting immature and from the tone of this last message I am not far off. I was talking to a totally different person that posted and you weren't even a part of that conversation. Your just bored and have to put your two cents in. You are angry because what I am saying is true. Those bad contracts for those players have helped put us in a bind right now. Again I have never said go sign bottom six free agents for lots of money. So I am done with you and whatever your trying to prove but I will keep on with the conversation without all this other petty stuff. Have a great rest of the night, weekend, year etc.

Seems to be a common theme for you. I said you want “in on UFA players”. Jay Beagle, Brandon Sutter and Louie Eriksson were big UFA signings. This is how they got here, by being “in on them”. You called me immature and my responses childish. Where are your answers?  How many of our expiring contracts did you want to keep?  Where was the money for Toffoli supposed to come from?  Are you opposed the the Nate Schmidt deal too? Which overpaid UFA did you want this year?  I’m not upset or angry, but I am calling you out. Try typing a response that makes sense. What do you want??? I see complaints about existing contracts. I see complaints that we can’t get more UFA contracts. Without a crystal ball or a time machine what do you want from Benning this year?

4 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Seems to be a common theme for you. I said you want “in on UFA players”. Jay Beagle, Brandon Sutter and Louie Eriksson were big UFA signings. This is how they got here, by being “in on them”. You called me immature and my responses childish. Where are your answers?  How many of our expiring contracts did you want to keep?  Where was the money for Toffoli supposed to come from?  Are you opposed the the Nate Schmidt deal too? Which overpaid UFA did you want this year?  I’m not upset or angry, but I am calling you out. Try typing a response that makes sense. What do you want??? I see complaints about existing contracts. I see complaints that we can’t get more UFA contracts. Without a crystal ball or a time machine what do you want from Benning this year?

You keep responding with the wrong quotes. lol. The topic on this thread says TOP free agents. Beagle, Sutter and Eriksson are not top free agents. Maybe Eriksson at that time but he was never an all star. Unless you have low expectations. I can't even with you anymore because you aren't even quoting what I said right. Later 

9 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You keep responding with the wrong quotes. lol. The topic on this thread says TOP free agents. Beagle, Sutter and Eriksson are not top free agents. Maybe Eriksson at that time but he was never an all star. Unless you have low expectations. I can't even with you anymore because you aren't even quoting what I said right. Later 

Enjoy your donuts and sprinkles...thanks for answering absolutely nothing as usual. Keep on trollin baby!

2 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Enjoy your donuts and sprinkles...thanks for answering absolutely nothing as usual. Keep on trollin baby!

If you would at least come and quote me properly I might be able to understand what it is you want. You kept saying I said things that I didn't. I don't understand why you would think I would take you seriously if you can't even have a conversation using things that I actually said but you didn't. That is why I am not answering your questions and false statements. ….Enjoy your donuts and sprinkles... what are you six? Again have a great night man.

7 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

If you would at least come and quote me properly I might be able to understand what it is you want. You kept saying I said things that I didn't. I don't understand why you would think I would take you seriously if you can't even have a conversation using things that I actually said but you didn't. That is why I am not answering your questions and false statements. ….Enjoy your donuts and sprinkles... what are you six? Again have a great night man.

The name of this thread is “why are we never in on top free agents”. Is that a direct enough quote?  The biggest cap issue is also the biggest free agent we signed in years. Beagle was definitely a top name. He helped the caps win a cup the year before. Will you answer a question yet?  You haven’t so far. What do you want Benning to do? We can’t unsign the guys we have so what do you suggest other than questioning my state of mind, age and demeanour?  What UFA deal did you actually want and how do you propose the team pay it?

1 hour ago, Amebushi said:

The name of this thread is “why are we never in on top free agents”. Is that a direct enough quote?  The biggest cap issue is also the biggest free agent we signed in years. Beagle was definitely a top name. He helped the caps win a cup the year before. Will you answer a question yet?  You haven’t so far. What do you want Benning to do? We can’t unsign the guys we have so what do you suggest other than questioning my state of mind, age and demeanour?  What UFA deal did you actually want and how do you propose the team pay it?

Note how he never even responded to my final post giving him all of the reasons why things are more positive than he's portraying. I wonder if he even knows what he's arguing about anymore at this point to be honest.

32 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Note how he never even responded to my final post giving him all of the reasons why things are more positive than he's portraying. I wonder if he even knows what he's arguing about anymore at this point to be honest.

I didn’t respond because you two want to talk about it and then go about using childish antics to get me to discuss or you just disagree anyways without admitting in how his wrongs have created a bit of cap mess right now. So I would rather not put in the effort. It’s a waste of my time.

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I didn’t respond because you two want to talk about it and then go about using childish antics to get me to discuss or you just disagree anyways without admitting in how his wrongs have created a bit of cap mess right now. So I would rather not put in the effort. It’s a waste of my time.

But I stated where his wrongs were. I tried everything to give us middle ground. Did you even read it?

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

But I stated where his wrongs were. I tried everything to give us middle ground. Did you even read it?

Yes and I agreed and you are right, there is no use in rehashing the past but it is one of reasons we are right against the cap. I also said the off-season isn’t over yet, so we need to be patient and see but if there is no more help coming we may see a regression. Maybe the goal is too implement more rookies and see if there are any great surprises this year. Like I said we will see.

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes and I agreed and you are right, there is no use in rehashing the past but it is one of reasons we are right against the cap. I also said the off-season isn’t over yet, so we need to be patient and see but if there is no more help along the way we may see a regression. Maybe the goal is too implement more rookies and see if there are any great surprises this year. Like I said we will see.

Keep in mind, much of the league is going through issues right now with money. A lot of free agents have taken paycuts and we'll probably see abnormally more rookies being played across the league.

Edited by The Lock

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Keep in mind, much of the league is going through issues right now with money. A lot of free agents have taken paycuts and we'll probably see abnormally more rookies being played across the league.

Yes. I am all for playing rookies, I am more worried about our wingers. Hopefully Hoglander can come in or Podkolzin at the end of the year and surprise. I just want support for Horvat because I always feel he gets the short end of the stick in terms of wingers. That is why I had a hard time with Toffoli leaving but maybe Hoglander can come in and fill that role.

What a joke of a thread. Why are we "never" in on top UFAs? The very question is dishonest, since obviously sometimes we are. LE and Myers were both among the very top UFAs in the years we signed them.

And like almost all top UFAs, their contracts tend to look much like anchors very quickly. That is how it works when you are on the wrong end of a bidding war; you need to offer more than all of your competitors, which pretty much ensures that to win the bidding war you must pay more than fair market value, for players whose skills are generally already starting to decline due to age.

Signing top end UFAs is the very last resort one uses to complete a roster when drafting and trading don't get you what you need, because it is ridiculously expensive in terms of Cap and term. It is certainly not something you want to see every year.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Upvote 2

JB could still improve this team , via trade or signing he hasn't yet on the forward side and i think he will add yet . Toffoli  should have been signed for 4.2 million we missed out now JB is gambling on Virtanen to fill the void. Clearing cap space should have been his main focus even if it cost us a draft pick or prospect.. JB  watched his team come of age and mature going further into the playoffs then expected. He give up a lot for Toffoli and should have kept him. Now its let the Kids step in. I'm ok with that. A step back maybe and maybe the kids surprise. I dont think JB has the killer instinct. Time will tell.