The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning just received a call from Aquilini to meet him in the middle of a blueberry field somewhere in Abbotsford. 

Aquilini is going to drive benning deep into that field and make him get out,  then drive away,  not even leaving any water behind for Jimbo

• Haha 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

Fair. I think most of us are disappointed at losing some these guys. But they are also getting NTC NMC. I guess the way Jim operates is changing.

I hope we do too man I hope we do 

Toffoli's current deal with Montreal doesn't include any sort of no trade clauses. I would've atleast signed him to this contract and then if we have young guys ready to step in, we can still trade him. He is a 20 goal scorer, and he has value. I get why we can't sign him, at this point, it is either we bring in a top 4 defenseman or bring him back and are in dire need of a top 4 defenseman.

1 minute ago, Darkstar said:

I think the biggest contract that needs to be moved off the books is Bennings lol. Once the team has cap space, he’ll end up shelling out millions to bottom six forwards and bottom pairing defensemen. 

Why? Aren’t we past the stage of supporting or young cast with vets by then?

Back to what lots of folks were saying that if we traded for Boeser we could have gotten a top 4 RD... then signed Toffoli... for for than $2 million less oer year over the next 4 years once you account for Boeser’s upcoming qualifying offer.

So many options and zero executed, or even possibly attempted to be executed.

Wouldn’t Buffalo been willing to give us Risto PLUS a high draft pick for Boeser?  They just spent $8 million on Hall short term.  We could have them signed Toffoli and used that high pick to exit a bad contract.

24 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Unless Jimbo has some trades up his sleeve,  the UFA market is basically down to the bargain bin shopping. 

Yeah.  That Pietrangelo guy is a real bargain:bigblush:

I hear you, but there are still players out there and... I do think there is a trade in the works.  Time will tell.

Just now, ruilin96 said:

Toffoli's current deal with Montreal doesn't include any sort of no trade clauses. I would've atleast signed him to this contract and then if we have young guys ready to step in, we can still trade him. He is a 20 goal scorer, and he has value. I get why we can't sign him, at this point, it is either we bring in a top 4 defenseman or bring him back and are in dire need of a top 4 defenseman.

I guess we just plainly can’t afford it when we need defencemen. I would have like Toffoli back really would but I’m honestly not worried about our forward group right now. We are still fairly strong there 

• Cheers 1

Would’ve thought this would be doable but you lose all flexibility for this year and some flexibility for the next two. We did win two rounds without Toffoli. Just sayin.

Overhauling our defence is a priority. A desire Benning has already expressed. With very little cap space available, perhaps JB is reserving what little space we have for a trade. I’ll reserve judgement until the opening night roster is assembled. It’s a long off season with plenty of possibilities.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Benning has been working relentlessly looking to clear cap space - LeBrun says no stone has been left unturned.  There are no takers.  Can't force a team to take players they don't want.  

Why would a team take Virtanen and Baertschi at over 6M when they can get a free agent like Toffoli at 4.25M?  

Because that move should have happened weeks ago before the market was set?  it isn’t like there haven’t been trades and signings from other teams.

I also suggested Virtanen for basically nothing as a return and we are still ahead of the game roster wise by using the money on Toffoli.

22 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I don't like Vatanen, but i'd take Hamonic at the very least. But yeah, at this point i'd rather see what the kids have than sign another stop gap player.

Benning has said all along that he would fill gaps to support the young guns. I think we can all agree they youngins took a big step last season. Now that some vets are gone this will be another BIG test for them. We have talented young men down on the farm knocking hard on the door. We gotta let the dam break and get these guys some time in the NHL.

NHL ready prospects IMO: (people may agree or disagree but if you haven't watched a stitch of AHL Utica Comets hockey, then you'd have no idea how ready they are)

Joulevi, Rafferty, Chatfield, Jasek, Lind, and DiPietro all are more than ready to compete for NHL spots.

Cole Lind in a year or two.