The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

3 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

The problem is that even if we can find a Tanev replacement and "break even" heading into next season, we were barely a playoff team last year. And now we'll be going into the season without our MVP of the last two seasons.

I think if we find a decent RHD with some grit to protect Hughes he will have even more room to work his magic. The Hughes and Tanev pairing took a beating in the playoffs. Hughes was so tired from all the punishment by the end of things. Imagine having a guy who would take that kind of pressure off Hughes, mentally it would be a big deal. Tanev does not bring that at all. My point, maybe by getting Hughes some gritty defender who can play top 4 minutes with him we will give him the time and space he needs to do his thing, even moreso than Tanev. Just thinking on the bright side of things I guess lol.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Does this signify the last chance for Virtanen? Maybe they are going to commit to him as a top 6 forward for the year. Give him a good long look as Bo's winger, and see if he does or doesn't have the juice to cut it in the league as a top 6 player.

Looks that way to me, and it makes some sense.  We can't even rule out Baertschi returning to the lineup:  Benning said it would depend on his camp, and he may actually have meant it.  Then there's Hoglander and the slim chance that Ferland will be healthy enough to play.  Plenty of internal options at forward:  no need to allocate cap there. 

The D is a completely different story.  Have people forgotten how badly our D handled an aggressive forecheck during the playoffs?  What little cap room we've got has to go towards fixing that problem.  If we can come up with one good RD through trade, that's a win. 

• Vintage 1

If Toffoli would've signed for 2 years we could've given him more than 4.25. Since he wants term it's no thank you. Contracts with term for forwards hitting 30 or over 30 is not what you want to sign if you're entering a contending window. Remember Sam Gagner anyone? Maybe Ryan Spooner that we had to trade Gagner for? I'm sure everyone remembers Louie. But sure, even though all those other free agents busted after a year or two, Toffoli is a sure thing ;-)

I like Toffoli but he's not elite and there's no sense in giving him 4 years for us when it's very possible he won't be effective anymore in year 3 and 4. He's actually a much better fit for Montreal, both short term and long term as he can maybe be a bottom six player in their system if need be.

I do agree with most people here though that I really hope we have some additions to the roster soon...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As proven again with Toffoli's deal. Benning has a history of over paying contracts. Toffoli ... Top 6 scorer basically more less got 1 million dollar more than Sven Baertschi. 

By the time all these bad contracts expire Hughes and Pettersson will be eating up over 20 million in Cap Hit in a flat cap era. So Benning better prays the remaining prospects pan out because if they don't then Benning will likely mortgage the team's Future or over pay of FA again. Killing any hope of the Canucks young core actually having a cup run. 

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I still think we're headed the trade route for most of our pieces we'll be adding. The AP domino needs to fall as that will trigger trades. TBL also need to move out guys which will also trigger trades. 

We're simply playing in secondary markets this year. And that's fine. But we need to wait for the primary market to sort itself out, to do so.

Patience.

I don't mind all the FA's walking so long as we can swing a trade for a legit RHD.  Looks like they'll give Rafferty/Chatfield a chance for 3rd pair RD and Juolevi/Rathbone for 3rd pair LD.  For RW we have, Virtanen, Lind & Podz on the way.  It looks like they're taking a step back on paper but I think it's smart on their part.  They're in a tough spot and don't want to create the same situation down the road once EP & QH are in their prime and they'll have the cap flexibility with the non moves they made this off season.  It's hard not to panic now but I'll try to be patient until the domino's fall.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

gotta a feeling Jimmy was protecting his own ass when he signed Toffoli in order to make the playoffs and not give up a lottery pick to Tampa...

and he is not making friends as he goes....Linden, Bracket, Stecher, Tanev....

JB better hope the young guys come through this coming year with all the old anchors in the bottom 6 and sitting in the press box that are still here over Toffoli.

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

As proven again with Toffoli's deal. Benning has a history of over paying contracts. Toffoli ... Top 6 scorer basically more less got 1 million dollar more than Sven Baertschi. 

By the time all these bad contracts expire Hughes and Pettersson will be eating up over 20 million in Cap Hit in a flat cap era. So Benning better prays the remaining prospects pan out because if they don't then Benning will likely mortgage the team's Future or over pay of FA again. Killing any hope of the Canucks young core actually having a cup run. 

Comparing any contract to Baertschi is unfair. You can't predict concussions. And it's idiotic to pretend Benning is dumb cause he didn't see Baertschi's career going from fringe 20 goal scorer to AHLer overnight.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Looks that way to me, and it makes some sense.  We can't even rule out Baertschi returning to the lineup:  Benning said it would depend on his camp, and he may actually have meant it.  Then there's Hoglander and the slim chance that Ferland will be healthy enough to play.  Plenty of internal options at forward:  no need to allocate cap there. 

The D is a completely different story.  Have people forgotten how badly our D handled an aggressive forecheck during the playoffs?  What little cap room we've got has to go towards fixing that problem.  If we can come up with one good RD through trade, that's a win. 

Agreed. We don't have the same internal fixes for D right now. I still predict a Tampa trade incoming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

He's not signing in Vancouver so why even pretend he's available to us?  He's going to sign in Vegas.

Same with Hoffman, and Dadanov,  both would be nice additions to our top 6 but they aren't signing here.

The players we could realistically sign that are left on the ufa market are not upgrades to Toffoli or Tanev..

Yeah, I was being a smart a$$.  

They may not be able to sign a player that is better than Tanev, but I'm glad they didn't give him the contract he ended up getting in Calgary.  Toffoli is a little more difficult to swallow, but it's a cap world, and they have painted themselves into a corner with some bad contracts.  In a year or two, those will be gone.  If they have to take a step back this season, I'm OK with that.

Of course, the season is months away from starting up, and a lot of things can happen in that time.