The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

2 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Let's have a bet.

If the Canucks sign AP,  my account gets perma banned.

If the Canucks don't sign AP,  the mods perma ban your account.

AP is going to Vegas.

That has nothing to do with Benning not being in on AP which is an utterly baseless claim. 

41 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Why shouldn't we be a little concerned?

We've lost 

Tanev

Markstrom 

Toffoli

Stecher 

In one off-season,  and have nobody to replace these key pieces with.

Holtby is a strong replacement for Marky on a perfect short term deal, Stetcher can be replace d by OJ, Rathbone or Rafferty. Really the only thing we need ia a top 4 d man hopefully bigger and more physical and a top six winger on a 2 yr max contract

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Sadly, maybe Linden was right. Maybe we should have stayed committed to a rebuild. There was lots of talk that Linden was looking heavily into rebuilds and how other teams managed them. Now we are a team with playoff level cap, but a borderline lottery level team. We reached the playoffs a year too early. That is one of the most Canuck things we could do. Reach the playoffs during a season with a deep draft. With no 1st or 2nd rounders AND no cap to retain the talented players cause we still have guys signed when we were rebuilding. Lol. Covid also kicked us in the nuts, but it kicked every team in the nuts.

You pretty much nailed the issue. Adding, if this year’s cap situation looks rough, look at the next two years when most of our Top prospect contracts come due, those anchor contracts need to be replaced, and most of our star players also need new contracts....

all with a cap that is probably staying flat for likely two more seasons. 

Just now, iinatcc said:

How so? Brian Burke predicts the cap will remain flat for another 4 or 5 years and by 2 years time Hughes will be looking for an extension and Pettersson would probably get 10 Million. 

So yes Linden was probably right and it's so fitting to have this realizing the same time the Linden trade has ended after Markstrom walking. 

Exactly we would be in the same situation if not worse if we make signings past 2 years. Everyone knows Petey and Hughes are going to get paid. Why do you think we aren’t signing players. Ding ding 

29 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Does this signify the last chance for Virtanen? Maybe they are going to commit to him as a top 6 forward for the year. Give him a good long look as Bo's winger, and see if he does or doesn't have the juice to cut it in the league as a top 6 player.

Not sure he is a good fit with Bo.   His most productive stretch last season was with Miller and Petey.  Miller was clearly mentoring him (remember the helmet to helmet discussions on the bench?) and it seemed that Jake listened and absorbed.

Bo's best season (last one) was actually with Pearson and Eriksson, although in BB's rookie year that line of  Baertschi, Bo and Boeser was pretty formidable.

But if you put Jake with Petey and Miller, and reunite the killer Bees, what do you do with Pearson and Eriksson?  Drop them to 3rd? What to do then with Roussel and Gaudette?  And are we still interested in resigning Leivo?

Let's face it, we have too many similar forwards.  We didn't need Toffoli

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Are you implying that Toffoli did not want to re-sign when it was reported numerous times how much he and EP want to play together and that him and his wife really liked Vancouver?

No, but maybe he wanted more term than Benning was willing to offer given our circumstances. 

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

i am relaxed thank you! Benning put in several offers and right before the deadline of 9am Benning gave  another offer, as per Bennings words, he decided to let it go!  go listen to Bennings presser!

Excellent. I hadn't seen the presser so was unaware of this. My bad. Humble apologies.

At the end of the day he still didn't do it.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Marky and Tanev. Yes. Tanev is a borderline 3rd pair d-man and injured often. Marky got a NMC and way too much term. Losing Stecher at 1.7, likely 1.5 for us being hometown, isn't really a deal that'd sink the franchise. Lol. And Toffoli is legit. Even if we needed to free cap he could easily be moved with his contract. 4.25 for a 20 goal scorer that is only in his late 20s? Come on. Stecher and Toffoli contracts we could easily have matched and we'd still be fine 2 years from now. 

That’s fair for sure. I think it has more to do with a potential trade. I’m banking on it lol that’s the best I can figure out friend 

1 minute ago, amplified0ne said:

Aqua man probably has placed an internal cap on this team (so that he can make a certain amount of money) and given the dead cap we already have has probably further limited abilities for the canucks to take on salary.  

Then it would do the franchise a great deal of service to let the fans know what the plan is. Because when the offseason began and all the talk was about how we were going after OEL, it seemed like the team was still going for it. So are the goalposts moving? Is there a plan in place at all? Let us know what plan we need to brace for.

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No, but maybe he wanted more term than Benning was willing to offer given our circumstances. 

I can buy that argument with Tanev and Markstrom. It's been reported as such. My highest offer would have been pretty much the exact same for both Tanev and Markstrom as the reported offers Benning made. Not re-signing them at those retirement contracts was the right decision.

Toffoli and Stecher.. there is no argument. Letting those guys go for free hurts at those contracts. 

Edited by Tom Sestito
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Aquillini is loosing a lot of money with the team and his business. He can't afford big contracts.

We got to watch some playoff hockey because our goalies kept us in games we had no business being in. 

We are a couple of years away from competing. Get used to it.

• Wat 1

Just now, Tom Sestito said:

I can buy that argument with Tanev and Markstrom. It's been reported as such. My highest offer would have been pretty much the exact same for both Tanev and Markstrom. Not re-signing them at those retirement contracts was the right decision.

Toffoli and Stecher.. there is no argument. Losing those guys go for free hurts at those contracts. 

Depends on what JB does with the rest of the offseason. The season doesn't start for another 3 months at minimum. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That has nothing to do with Benning not being in on AP which is an utterly baseless claim. 

Its not baseless.  Vancouver hasn't been linked once from any insider to AP.

Also why would we sign a huge 8 millionx7 year contract on this guy when we could have just traded for OEL?  Dumped a bad contract in the process.

That's what I thought,   either take the bet or stop running your mouth bud.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Trollup5 said:

Aquillini is loosing a lot of money with the team and his business. He can't afford big contracts.

We got to watch some playoff hockey because our goalies kept us in games we had no business being in. 

We are a couple of years away from competing. Get used to it.

Laughable at best. 

• Wat 1