The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

Its not baseless.  Vancouver hasn't been linked once from any insider to AP.

Also why would we sign a huge 8 millionx7 year contract on this guy when we could have just traded for OEL?  Dumped a bad contract in the process.

That's what I thought,   either take the bet or stop running your mouth bud.

It is baseless because they can make a move and sign AP your delusional if you think JB hasn't explored that route, because so have 31 other GM’s...

I totally get and agree that D is a bigger concern than our forward but at that price how could we not sign Toffoli. A UFA deal that’s actually going to look better after a couple years when the cap starts to rise. 

so many ways we could have signed him, a buyout to sutter or walk from Virtanen. I think we could have traded Virtanen for a low pick mainly to free up the cap but also to acquire an asset even if it’s a low pick.

Beening has drafted Petterson and Hughes but screwed up on Juolevi and Virtanen and made way more bad moves than good moves. Can’t sign Toffoli but we signed sutter, Roussel, beagle and Ferland. 

Jim Benning gets an F on his planning and execution this offseason.  Trading Boeser for a dman would have solved the whole on defense and left cap for Toffoli. It was never A question of Toffoli or boeser it was Toffoli and boeser assets or Boeser.

hes made some good moves like JT Miller and some picks but he’s an absolute disaster when it come to UFA signings. His execution and planning this offseason has been terrible.

I was on the fence in terms of support for Benning but this offseason has put me squarely in the #FireBenning camp.

for anyone saying be paitient or you that I don’t know what he has planned please remember he was in on OEO he was in on Tanev, Barrie and Stetcher so clearly his plans are failing and then he keeps readjusting. When I see the creativity of other GMs I don’t buy that there hasn’t been any way over the years of freeing cap not to mention he keeps making it worse. For example Ferlund and Myers at 6 million.  

we need to wait two years before some of our bad contracts are gone but I hope we have a new GM to make decisions at that point. 

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Depends on what JB does with the rest of the offseason. The season doesn't start for another 3 months at minimum. 

Right, but there isn't much left on the market. Schmidt, Weegar, and Cernak would be fantastic additions through trade but cost dependent.

If we wanted to trade some of the $35MM of dead cap, I'm sure we would have done it by now. 

But sure, I'll return in three months to have this discussion.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Holtby is a strong replacement for Marky on a perfect short term deal, Stetcher can be replace d by OJ, Rathbone or Rafferty. Really the only thing we need ia a top 4 d man hopefully bigger and more physical and a top six winger on a 2 yr max contract

But at BEST Holtby is a solid Marky replacement.

At BEST  Juolevi/Rathbone/Rafferty can replace Stecher.

So if we find a Tanev replacement, at BEST, we are back to where we were last year, which is a team that barely made the playoffs.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Well blarg. We struck out again to re-sign one of our key members of our playoff run. Hope the kids are ready to play because they’ll be given a opportunity to shine.

Toffoli was a key member? Last I checked he played one single game in the 10 games that made up the series against the Wild and Blues. He provided 0G, 0A and 0P in the wins against those teams. He was more useful in the Vegas series, but really aside from game 2 like a lot of other players, he was pretty invisible. He certainly wasn’t “key”, far from it.

9 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Like this clown wasted a second and Tyler madden , and then couldn’t retain a top six player at a bargain price because of his terrible signings . How are there people defending him still lmao!

Or just trying to make sense of what’s going on. It’s been a completely different approach from years past