The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

1 hour ago, The.Burrowers said:

Benning or Aquilini?

Aquillini. He's a business man. Any smart businessman can see that the teams are going to lose money. He won't sign off on long term contracts unless the player is a high impact player like EP, QH, OEL, and etc.

JB just bringing us down so we can be lifted up again. Let’s see what happens here. I suspect a trade either way I think it’s smart not giving out contracts this year. A little sad losing these players but if it helps become a better team longer in in. Said it before I’d much prefer to have a longer term approach to this I want to be competing for a cup for a decade not a couple years. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sure double down on a classless take 

classless, if you call reality classless....

feel free to explain why he signed Toffoli by giving up Madden and a second, to only let him go....let me guess to make the playoffs, and then let your players walk for nothing....that's retarded

Edited by Pete M

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

You been doing a lot of crying lately

How are you not banned?  Every post in this thread from you is negative or trolling other members.  

Get a life bud.  I know you're depressed and unhappy with how you're life turned out,  but don't take it out on us.

• Wat 2

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

giving up Madden and a second to sign Toffoli with no intention of resigning him is retarded. He did it to save his ass....short term thinking. It's all about JB

Benning wanted to re-sign Toffoli, but he probably misread the market interest in some players he was hoping to move and the pandemic hasn't helped.  At the TDL he was talking of recouping draft picks and notably the 2nd round pick they gave up in the Toffoli trade.  

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

But at BEST Holtby is a solid Marky replacement.

At BEST  Juolevi/Rathbone/Rafferty can replace Stecher.

So if we find a Tanev replacement, at BEST, we are back to where we were last year, which is a team that barely made the playoffs.

So you can see the future? How the hell do you know “AT BEST” that those young defenseman ceilings are of an easily replaceable third pairing defenseman? Rathbone and Juolevi both certainly have potential to be legitimate top four players at some point. 

Also, why do you necessarily WANT to bring back the same corps of D that we’re utterly dominated against Vegas? Jesus christ you just can’t win. Bring back the same players who couldn’t cut in the playoffs, and you get criticism. Don’t do it and look to the future with players who have good potential (Rathbone and Juolevi especially) and you also get criticized. 

Also, it’s not just about next season as you presented in this post. Last I checked the young core of this team is all 25 years of age or younger. A lot of the way this off-season has played out is about the future. The fact is, 18-20m in cap is coming in new contracts next off season and they have to plan around that. The Canucks have plenty of good, young players with high potential who can come in and fulfill the SECONDARY roles on the team that they will need. It’s not the end of the world. The primary pieces of this team are all in place.

• Like 1

I don’t want to directly place this on Toffoli leaving but it’s hard to see the Canucks not regressing a little bit next year. We’ve seen Toffoli, Markstrom and Tanev leave while teams like Calgary and Edmonton in our division get stronger. At the point Jim Benning better sign some players to 1 year deals so we have some trade deadline capital if we do indeed take a step back this year. Sign Granlund and Gustafsson to 1 year deals and if we’re not in the playoffs we can get some extra picks.

2 minutes ago, poet said:

He made the power play way more dangerous. Boeser just can’t handle that down-low position...

I Would have been content with a Toffoli/ Vatanen signing as representing a small step back. Instead, we have...?

Sure hope Jim has something up his sleeve: ie. something with Tampa for Johnson/Cernak...

Duclair and Hamonic please.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Good, cause we could really use some. Juolevi kinda fizzled and Woo is a bit of a hopeful. Still have hope for Juolevi, but honestly we could use a RD.

Unfortunately most of the highly rated ones are LH.  Only one is RH (projected top 5).

And Luke Hughes is LH.

Lol.

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

How are you not banned?  Every post in this thread from you is negative or trolling other members.  

Get a life bud.  I know you're depressed and unhappy with how you're life turned out,  but don't take it out on us.

Lol says the guy taking it out on me accusing me of stalking him? 

2 minutes ago, poet said:

He made the power play way more dangerous. Boeser just can’t handle that down-low position...

I Would have been content with a Toffoli/ Vatanen signing as representing a small step back. Instead, we have...?

Sure hope Jim has something up his sleeve: ie. something with Tampa for Johnson/Cernak...

That's a fun proposition.

Taking on Johnson's cap in exchange for Cernak is a really interesting proposition, both players that'd fill holes in the Canucks roster, since Johnson currently has negative value for TB and greatly diminishes their ask on Cernak. 

7 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Only players in FA that can replace his production in theory are Granlund and Athanasiou.  If we can get either of them on two year deals then we’re likely in better shape but I have to think they will be signed today by someone.

We dont need any more forwards.  Some posters are talking about Aquilini imposing a lower cap on Benning, but I bet his bigger concern is how much he will be paying players to go to Utica. Sign another forward and Utica will break all records for AHL payroll costs

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1