The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The reality - imo - is this:

The timing of this Covid cap stall - is quite inopportune for teams that had key players expiring.  This team had Marky, Tanev, Toffoli, Stecher expiring.   Nowhere near as opportune as if Covid had hit a year, or two, later.

However - the Markstrom matter was somewhat foreclosed by Seattle in any event - when he got 6x6 and a critical NMC - it was an either/or situation -and this team retained Demko, who is less cap and lines up (arguably) better with the team's trajectory.

So - they've 'let' Tanev and Toffoli sign elsewhere - did not match 4.4/4.5 x 4 and 5 year terms.

Are they irreplaceable?  Was the "plan" to 'let them walk?'   The 'plan' has, necessarily, changed.

I'd argue that Tanev was the priority - over Markstrom - but at the same time, they have numerous options - including prioritizing getting rid of bonus cap and prioritizing two seasons into the future....I'm ok with what they do where RHD are concerned, because I am certain this is their priority and they will be leaving no stone unturned - and I'm also ok if they sign a couple deflated bargain RHD and call it a day, retaining as much flexibility as possible.

Toffoli - is truly a covid sacrifice.   His injury could not have been worsely timed.  And Boeser's injury - came at a relatively inconsequential time (although I'm not convinced he was healthy in the playoffs - he was healthier than Toffoli = at least Boeser was able to skate.   In any event, I am never a fan of rentals - but this wasn't intended to be a 'rental' - it was done in the context of assuming business-as-usual, something virtually the entire world, with the exception of a few pandemic 'experts' expected.

I don't see Tanev, Toffoli or Stecher signing elsewhere as a crisis, whatsoever. 

I probably would have matched Tanev's deal - however, I'm not on the phones, I don't know the market - I have no idea what irons these guys actually have in the fire -but you can guarantee that they are doing what they are because they're calculating their options - not sleeping on the job - a bunch of 420 armchair assumptions.

I entirely agree with you. The biggest loss is Tanev because as far as we can tell one year into Hughes’ career, he was the perfect partner for him. That’s not disclosing the role he provided especially on the PK. 

Markstrom would not have been a smart decision especially with the potential Demko showed against Vegas. Toffoli and Stecher are replaceable. As you said earlier, the Canucks have OPTIONS when it comes to replacing Toffoli. He’s not some irreplaceable first line centre where you pretty much have one option to get them. The Canucks can eventually replace him internally, or via FA or trade because players like Toffoli are available EVERY year. 

The thing people also seem to be missing is that the Canucks are likely to have 18 million in new deals next offseason coming on the books and have to plan around that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Reading overreactions like these are why I hardly bother with these forums anymore.

Are people just unable to think beyond last year?

The problem here is the Canucks were on an upward trajectory with:

1) their MVP goalie who won them most games they didn’t even deserve to win

2) a good top 6 forward who finally gave Bo someone to play with and helped the power play.

3) a lifelong Canuck defenceman who sacrificed his body each game and played hard and well

All 3 are now gone. We had the cap space but weren’t even able to sign even one of them (this one particular signing with TT was easily attainable).

Holtby is an ok goalie but not Marky. Demko had just 3 fantastic games in the playoffs and is not a measure for an entire season (he was just ok).

Trades are don’t seem to be easy this season and JB does not look willing to give up important futures.  

You tell me how this next season is not going to be a disaster? Explain it to me, please.

• Wat 1

17 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

It’s official. Canucks are going back to the bottom of the standings. JB had 3 pending important UFAs and didn’t even sign one of them :picard:

Well, if there is a Canadian Division next season, we'll likely see these 3 about 10 times.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

The problem here is the Canucks were on an upward trajectory with:

1) their MVP goalie who won them most games they didn’t even deserve to win

2) a good top 6 forward who finally gave Bo someone to play with and helped the power play.

3) a lifelong Canuck defenceman who sacrificed his body each game and played hard and well

All 3 are now gone. We had the cap space but weren’t even able to sign even one of them (this one particular signing with TT was easily attainable).

Holtby is an ok goalie but not Marky. Demko had just 3 fantastic games in the playoffs and is not a measure for an entire season (he was just ok).

Trades are don’t seem to be easy this season and JB does not look willing to give up important futures.  

You tell me how this next season is not going to be a disaster? Explain it to me, please.

For starters the offseason isn't even remotely over yet. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I still think those are band-aids. Get what you want or move on. Band-aids got us in a lot of trouble.

I really like both players.  Duclair's speed would be very helpful, and Hamonic's a great character guy who brings exactly what we are missing on the blueline.  It all comes down to the price though.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

SMH, blame it on CoVID....okay, to sign a top 6 forward who is 28 years old to a 4 year $4.25M is very affordable...Montreal was able to do it.

Except they are now over the salary cap with only 22 players on their roster.  If you think MTL did so well, you have to account for the  consequence of this signing in what moves they are going to have to make to be cap compliant. They no longer have any cap flexibility. Were they able to do it ? maybe, maybe not.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

But at BEST Holtby is a solid Marky replacement.

At BEST  Juolevi/Rathbone/Rafferty can replace Stecher.

So if we find a Tanev replacement, at BEST, we are back to where we were last year, which is a team that barely made the playoffs.

Well at best Holtby will be solid and give more mentoring to Demko who really is our future, at best I'm willing to bet any of OJ, Rathbone or Rafferty will be better than Stetcher . Now what we need is a top 4 d man which I am sure JB will deliver on or at least I am willing to wait til he's done and the season starts prior to judging him, he deserves that.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

i really like both players.  Duclair's speed would be very helpful, and Hamonic's a great character guy who brings exactly what we are missing on the blueline.  It all comes down to the price though.

Hard to see many more long term contracts. Teams paid for what they really wanted now I bet. Started with the goalies. I’m sure a lots of teams are really watching watch they spend now. We just started free agency with that mind set. Hopefully we can snag someone that will provide value and not handcuff us 

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

c'mon, you're not truly that obtuse.

because I don't care to re-explain myself yet again, I'm going to answer a question with a question and let you do the work.

Why would Arizona sign their captain to an 8 year deal with an unmodified NMC - and then ask him one year later for a list of team's they can trade him to?

Nothing obtuse about it, Toffoli would bring a lot to this team for that price....a good value contract for a top six....because he is responsible defensively, his value would be even more because of the young "D" that will be replacing Tanev and Stech

The obtuse part is on Benning for giving up Madden and a second....for 17 games

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

Hard to see many more long term contracts. Teams paid for what they really wanted now I bet. Started we the goalies. I’m sure a lots of teams are really watching watch they spend now. We just started free agency with that mind set. Hopefully we can snag someone that will provide value and not handcuff us 

Yep; anyone other than the top guys are getting squeezed, and there should be a lot of value to be had.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

For starters the offseason isn't even remotely over yet. 

It’s not but with each passing day all teams are filling out their rosters and only scraps are being left over or discarded. The hand me downs might be of good value but it’s still Value Village. 

We had great players we lost. Key pieces the team and fans adored.

I’m just obviously very upset right now and hope your right that there is something good that may come upon us....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

But at BEST Holtby is a solid Marky replacement.

At BEST  Juolevi/Rathbone/Rafferty can replace Stecher.

So if we find a Tanev replacement, at BEST, we are back to where we were last year, which is a team that barely made the playoffs.

This is how teams evolve from within. There is still time to make moves. Höglander, Rafferty, and Juolevi all have a chance at open roster spots and we can still sign/trade for a top 4 dman. 

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

Nothing obtuse about it, Toffoli would bring a lot to this team for that price....a good value contract for a top six....because he is responsible defensively, his value would be even more because of the young "D" that will be replacing Tanev and Stech

The obtuse part is on Benning for giving up Madden and a second....for 17 games

woosh.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

The season hasn't started yet, I think you need to be patient like most on here. You want to complain wait til the season starts and you can have plenty of time to judge JB for the entire season

then it might be too late! i loved what Benning had done with our team and was excited for the upcoming years, but  with our cap and only having 8 mill, we have not enough defensemen, one less top 6, Jake probably going to make 3 plus and we haven't signed Gaudette, our defense will probably look worse than before.