Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

Recommended Posts

We beat two stingy teams in the playoffs without toffoli. Then he was completely invisible aside from the tap in petey set him up with in the Vegas series.

 

Granlund is still available I think..

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sockeye said:

Without another top 4 RHD, we are going downhill - I'm not a betting man but I'd put money on it.  So we need to trade assets to get a top 4 RHD or, sign one of the few remaining decent RHD UFAs.

How are you doing my friend? It appears that the world has changed after my quick nap. =)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

At any level of debate the fact we gave up a prospect and a draft pick for a rental player, at a time when when essentially no gm in the league no longer does, is simply not acceptable 

 

I am ok with letting stetcher go and even Marky but letting Toffoli sign for what we could have paid along with losing Tanev without a concrete replacement plan is poor management 

 

Oilers and flames just got a lot stronger and we are significantly weaker 

 

 

Anything you may want to add to this considering the trade which recently went down?

  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CanucksForever2 said:

How are you doing my friend? It appears that the world has changed after my quick nap. =)

Well, I'm doing a whole lot better now :) compared to a few hours ago.

 

Nate isn't a RHD but he is definitely a top 2 D on our team.  I'm back on the Benning bandwagon.  Vegas did pretty good last year with only one of their top 6 as a RHD.  We'll work it out and I really think Rafferty deserves a shot on the Canucks in a bottom 4 RHD role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

Hilarious thread.

 

 

I was just scrolling through a lot of crow eaten lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Anything you may want to add to this considering the trade which recently went down?

That trade may deal with the loss of Stetcher/Tanev

 

we have a massive gap in our top 6 and dies not take away the fact that we gave away a lot for a 17 game rental player 

 

I like Benning’s drafting side but his dealing side/contract management side is weak 

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

That trade may deal with the loss of Stetcher/Tanev

 

we have a massive gap in our top 6 and dies not take away the fact that we gave away a lot for a 17 game rental player 

 

I like Benning’s drafting side but his dealing side/contract management side is weak 

What gap is that exactly?

 

We went most the season without Toffoli.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

What gap is that exactly?

 

We went most the season without Toffoli.

And our performance prior to having a legit top 6 scorer was dramatically weaker 

 

we do not have the in house top player player right now 

 

gap 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Toyotasfan said:

Maybe we can trade Pearson to Montreal to reunite the boys 

Habs are tight against the cap but I definitely wouldn't mind Fleury. They got a handful of young D ready to play and just brought in Romanov who'll probably be on their roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

And our performance prior to having a legit top 6 scorer was dramatically weaker 

 

we do not have the in house top player player right now 

 

gap 

Actually our performance was better.

 

We were 4-5-1 in the 10 games that Toffoli played for us in the regular season. We were trending downwards.

 

Point is our top 6 was getting it done without Toffoli.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t believe we traded Boeser only to have Toffoli sign with Montreal... :bigblush:

  • Haha 1
  • Sedinery 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

And our performance prior to having a legit top 6 scorer was dramatically weaker 

 

we do not have the in house top player player right now 

 

gap 

You mean when we were in a playoff position (at times fighting for the division lead) before we acquired Toffoli? Difference now is we just added a top 3 dman (if not top pairing dman) to the team.

 

The likelihood that a Virtanen, MacEwen, Lind, Hoglander, etc (even a longshot for Baertschi to step in) could fill that top 6 role long enough for Podkolzin to get a chance as well and take that top 6 spot is much higher than what we have in the system to fill the defense "gap".

 

We made the right move using our cap space in an area of legit need.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

All signs point to this.

All signs as in he didn't end up signing those players? You were in Benning's office? Washroom? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure got quiet in here after the Schmidt announcement. 

  • Hydration 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Toffoli is a streaky player. Canuck fan where likely seeing him on a streak. They didnt see him being the healthy scratch on a bad Kings team low earlier in the same season.
 

im happy not signing him. You watch Toffoli will never get more then 20 goals ever again. Mark my words. Toffoli on this new Contract season high in goals will be maybe 15 and thats it. 
 

A great non signing , as it’ll be a future buy out contract.

 

Go Canucks Go

4 years @ $4.25m for a 28 year old top 6 winger?  Doesn’t remotely seem like a future buy out. It does seem like sour grapes on your part though. 

  • Hydration 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wtf.... I don't know how JB didn't sign him for that... he's totally worth that contract..

 

Surprised.. disappointed..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, qwijibo said:

4 years @ $4.25m for a 28 year old top 6 winger?  Doesn’t remotely seem like a future buy out. It does seem like sour grapes on your part though. 

The amount is fine, the term is not. You always have to overpay for free agents, and that's just what Montreal did, with term.

 

For every comparable FA to Toffoli that's a good signing there's at least 3 ones that look really bad either from the start or for the second half of the contract. So Benning refusing to hand out term and/or clauses for Marky/Tanev/Toffoli is definitely the right move at this phase for the organization IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J-P said:

The amount is fine, the term is not. You always have to overpay for free agents, and that's just what Montreal did, with term.

 

For every comparable FA to Toffoli that's a good signing there's at least 3 ones that look really bad either from the start or for the second half of the contract. So Benning refusing to hand out term and/or clauses for Marky/Tanev/Toffoli is definitely the right move at this phase for the organization IMO.

It’s 4 years with no clauses. There’s nothing wrong with the term. Nothing at all 

Edited by qwijibo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.