The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Interesting.

I think the playoffs exposed that we needed to upgrade the D. As much of a bargain Toffoli’s contract seems like Benning obviously thought that money would be better spent bolstering the D.

Hard to argue that and with us already having Virtanen to fill that role and Podkolzin and Lind in the pipeline it makes sense to not tie money up in another winger for 4 years.

I'm sure we could have unloaded a contract with a second round pick somewhere.  Maybe Bartschi? Fit Toffoli under the cap.

Subtract: Markstrom

Tanev

Domingue

Stecher

Add:

Holtby

Schmidt

Toffoli (Retain) 

Also isn't Ferland going on LTIR?

Edited by Losing With Pride

1 minute ago, Losing With Pride said:

I'm sure we could have unloaded a contract with a second round pick somewhere.  Maybe Bartschi? Fit Toffoli under the cap.

Subtract: Markstrom

Tanev

Domingue

Stecher

Add:

Holtby

Schmidt

Toffoli (Retain) 

Also isn't Ferland going on LTIR?

But that same 4 million could equal another defenseman cap space or not.

I think that’s where they wanna spend the money.

• Upvote 1

To be fair to JB, when he went out to get Toffoli, we were expecting a higher cap and easily could have squeezed him in as well as a defenceman. Unfortunately the flat cap and Covid happened so can't really blame him for losing Toffoli and hence Madden for nothing, and every step of the way JB has made the right call. Basically swapping out Tanev and Toffoli for Schmidt and letting the youth play a bigger role is the only financial way he could get everything to work. If we resigned Toffoli we'd have to settle for a pretty average 2M defenceman in our top 4.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

To be honest a new Gaudette and Virtanen may be better combined than Toffoli, and Schmidt basically is the same as Tanev, so it's a pretty close write-off.

The loss of 20-40 goals though from a full season of top line Toffoli really depends on our youth and Boeser. I'm sure the kids have it in them to produce, and I think Gaudette and Virtanen are on the cusp of breakouts. JB clearly has faith in our youth.

I think Gaudette certainly deserves a decent shot because he looks like he could easily blow the 20 goal mark if given adequate minutes. As for Virtanen, he has always frustrated me but has proven he can score 20 goals so deserves a chance as well. Both these kids deserve bridge contracts because we're in a transitional period but I'm sure combined, they equal (or are greater than) one Toffoli.

Agree with most of what you said except Tanev and Schmidt being the same. They both play 20+ a game and Block 100+ shots but Schmidt can put up 40+ points Tanev likely 15 points is all you can expect 

• Cheers 1

While the Toffoli contract was a good one, there are still a ton of forwards that are somewhat comparable in performance to Toffoli that could sign for less term/cost:

Hoffman

Dadonov

Granlund

Athanasiou

Galchenyuk

Duclair

If they are in-fact low cost I would be focused on Granlund or Athanasiou for Horvat's line.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

• 2 weeks later...

we'll see in a few years time on this one. jb betting on toffoli slowing down over the next few years? he didn't exactly look dynamic in his time here. literally got set up for gift goals by some awesome linemates, petey et al. remember how surprised he looked on that open netter when the puck just magically appeared on his stick. we have been burned by these contracts that last well into the 30's and with the likelyhood of future cap issues i'm not too disappointed we didn't re-sign toffoli

• Upvote 1

It's disappointing to constantly hear that players aren't having much discussion with management. I am not sure what this means exactly. But hearing it so often kinda makes me sad. I get it, we have no cash so maybe management is just like "Hey we'll get back to ya if we move cap" and it just never happens. I dunno, just kinda makes me worry about potential player relations. 

10 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

It's disappointing to constantly hear that players aren't having much discussion with management. I am not sure what this means exactly. But hearing it so often kinda makes me sad. I get it, we have no cash so maybe management is just like "Hey we'll get back to ya if we move cap" and it just never happens. I dunno, just kinda makes me worry about potential player relations. 

The players are not naive about each team's financial constraints. The issue for them and especially their agents is to get as much money and term as possible.  That way the player gets paid and the agents get paid. 

But there was a time a couple of years before our 2011 cup run that our key players took less money to stay with the team. It was very similar to what happened in 2003 when Kariya took an 8.8-million dollar cut in pay from Anaheim's qualifying offer to play with the Colorado Avalanche for a 1.2-million dollar contract because he wanted to win the cup.  In the Canucks present financial situation, I think if our wayward players accepted a sizeable pay cut, they would have been signed. 

Edited by The Colt 45s
punctuation