The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

I mean if Toffoli was asking for 5.5M+ I can see us not re-signing him.

BUT 4 years at 4.3 only? For 20+ goals and at least 50+ points playing with the likes of Petey, Miller, Horvat, heck even Pearson? A moveable and tradeable contract that we could offload for some assets in 2 years if need to be? 

Disastrous.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Benning must be really sold on the prospects and kids we have. This is a steal of a deal. 4 years isn't even that bad of term. It fits almost perfectly for my expected timeline for Podkolzin. This deal actually hurts more than Tanev and Markstrom. Tanny got overpaid and Marky got too much term and a NMC. There's no real downside to offering Toffoli 4 years and 4.25mil. If Podkolzin proves to be ready sooner than expected the contract is more than moveable. The only way I don't sign this deal is if it has a NMC. 

If the plan is to play as many kids as possible, I am for it. But it makes this past season feel worse. Cause we could have done that last season and got a top 10-15 pick in a really solid draft. Lol. I guess they pushed for playoffs to give Tampa/NJ a worse pick. I dunno. The whole situation feels confusing. 2020 really is a weird year.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

And that Toffoli trade is officially a disaster. Quite possibly the worst offseason in Canucks history so far.

Most of the trade deadline trades end up being disasters.  

At least we didn't trade away Forsberg.  

I'm guessing the plan is for a mass youth infusion and likely a veteran D man is a priority with any available free agent dollars. I haven't been upset with Markstrom or even Tanev moving on but this one puzzles me. The money seems like a bargain. Perhaps they've decided it's time to let Jake sink or swim in the Top 6?? 

Genuinely puzzled. I look forward to the entertainment of the "Fire Benning" threads and folks losing their minds.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Benning must be really sold on the prospects and kids we have. This is a steal of a deal. 4 years isn't even that bad of term. It fits almost perfectly for my expected timeline for Podkolzin. This deal actually hurts more than Tanev and Markstrom. Tanny got overpaid and Marky got too much term and a NMC. There's no real downside to offering Toffoli 4 years and 4.25mil. If Podkolzin proves to be ready sooner than expected the contract is more than moveable. The only way I don't sign this deal is if it has a NMC. 

If the plan is to play as many kids as possible, I am for it. But it makes this past season feel worse. Cause we could have done that last season and got a top 10-15 pick in a really solid draft. Lol. I guess they pushed for playoffs to give Tampa/NJ a worse pick. I dunno. The whole situation feels confusing. 2020 really is a weird year.

Yeah I would've been okay with this contract too...  maybe he took a discount to play for Montreal?  

12 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

we have offically lost an Elite goalie, Top 6 scoring winger, Top 4 shut down D, Top 6 Rhd and a back up goalie

But we are keeping Benn, Virtanen and Gaudette oh yea this makes our team much better  and we are cup bound. geez what a mess! Benning better forget about Thanksgiving and get us  A top 6 good forward like Toffoli and 2 good defensemen or he will lose a lot of fans

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Because we knew a pandemic would hit and that Toffoli would be injured in game 1 of play-ins (maybe even prior)?

The price paid was to replace a Boeser that we thought was done for the year and be a potential playoff boost. We paid a cheaper price than other teams did at the deadline. The price we would've paid to extend him was a 4th, which we didn't.

The trade was questionable to begin with even if we had managed to re-sign Toff to a good deal.

Because by the time we become true contenders and EP and QH are in their prime, it was always more likely that Madden was going to be a better player than a 30+ year old Toffoli. And that’s ignoring the 2nd round pick we gave up.

The fact that we weren’t able to re-sign him makes it sting more.

Edited by Grape

The only thing i can see as a positive is that, we will be bad next year. Gain a very high 1st, plus have some assets to sell off at the tdl, which Jim will probably get slim to none for. He will draft well.

I can't see Montreal resigning Gallagher next season, with Anderson and Toffoli now locked up. I would want Gallagher big time next offseason. 

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

:lol: hardly that bad. Jim can at least draft and identify veterans to help us make a deep playoff run. 

You may disagree with losing vets but honestly he's done a great job up to this point. Losing Stecher sucks but he was looking to find a better quality D. Stech was a fall back plan that didn't work out. Tof is just the cost of doing business and its not entirely his fault with the covid/flat cap situation. Not many knew this would happen at the TDL.

Jay Beagle and Loui Eriksson essentially have Yashin and DiPietro contracts.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1