The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

3 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Don't mean this to be directed at you. 

Been tooting this horn as well but I can't see the Canucks offices or zoom calls being super relaxed right now. I think there is a lot of head scratching and sweaty palms and that worries me. That could mean desperation. That also means big mistakes. What do we even have left to give up in trades to fill these roster spots?

Or it could be some super plan behind the scenes that nobody knows about. It's unclear which one it is and that is very disconcerting. Yucky feeling right now.

Or palm scratching and sweaty heads. 

• Haha 1

Just now, CanuckGAME said:

Unless Jimbo has some trades up his sleeve,  the UFA market is basically down to the bargain bin shopping. 

I don't like Vatanen, but i'd take Hamonic at the very least. But yeah, at this point i'd rather see what the kids have than sign another stop gap player.

Benning has said all along that he would fill gaps to support the young guns. I think we can all agree they youngins took a big step last season. Now that some vets are gone this will be another BIG test for them. We have talented young men down on the farm knocking hard on the door. We gotta let the dam break and get these guys some time in the NHL.

NHL ready prospects IMO: (people may agree or disagree but if you haven't watched a stitch of AHL Utica Comets hockey, then you'd have no idea how ready they are)

Joulevi, Rafferty, Chatfield, Jasek, Lind, and DiPietro all are more than ready to compete for NHL spots.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Everyone is complaining we need to address the defense, but somehow everyone wants to throw money at forward!

Which is it?  Can’t throw money all over the place

really cause Benning was okay with throwing money at OEL 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Why shouldn't we be a little concerned?

We've lost 

Tanev

Markstrom 

Toffoli

Stecher 

In one off-season,  and have nobody to replace these key pieces with.

Juolevi

Holtby

Podkolzin (?)

Rafferty/ Rathbone/ UFA

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GODSRAGE said:

It's not like we are cup contenders like Vegas and can blow it all on Pietro for a shot at the cup. I think we are a year or two away still. So why strangle our cap more with 4.3 x 4. I think we give Raffery/OJ/Rathbone a real shot at making club and promote from within.

How the **** is 4.3x4 for a guaranteed 20 goal/50pt winger strangling the cap?

You know what strangles the cap?

Sven Baertschi chilling in Utica

Louie Eriksson watching the boy from the press box

Brandon Sutter

Michael Ferland 

Roberto Luongo

Ryan Spooner.

How the **** are we wasting so much cap space on this list but can't pay 4.3 to Toffoli?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Attila Umbrus said:

I don't like Vatanen, but i'd take Hamonic at the very least. But yeah, at this point i'd rather see what the kids have than sign another stop gap player.

Benning has said all along that he would fill gaps to support the young guns. I think we can all agree they youngins took a big step last season. Now that some vets are gone this will be another BIG test for them. We have talented young men down on the farm knocking hard on the door. We gotta let the dam break and get these guys some time in the NHL.

NHL ready prospects IMO: (people may agree or disagree but if you haven't watched a stitch of AHL Utica Comets hockey, then you'd have no idea how ready they are)

Joulevi, Rafferty, Chatfield, Jasek, Lind, and DiPietro all are more than ready to compete for NHL spots.

Not all of the aforementioned players should be on the roster though, which looks to be Jim’s plan at the present. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Everyone is complaining we need to address the defense, but somehow everyone wants to throw money at forward!

Which is it?  Can’t throw money all over the place

Exactly.

We'd already replaced Marky before he signed with Calgary. Priority's gonna have to be D. Toffoli isn't going replace Stecher or Tanev, the money isn't there.

Doesn't look like they're willing to pay the price to jettison Eriksson, we're likely gonna have to see what our internal options look like. But we were always going to have to do that at some point, a team can't keep drafting and signing guys and never see what they have.

The reality is we could see ourselves taking a step back next season before taking steps forward again the season after once cap space is freed up. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Unless something significant happens trade wise, this could be a tragic offseason. 

Honestly, we'd have to get Ekblad/Risto for scraps and cap dumps for it not to be tragic. We've got one win and like 4 Ls so far. 5 if you consider the fact we can't move a single bad contract out via trade. Word is Benning has been working the phones to move out cap since the season ended. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Not all of the aforementioned players should be on the roster though, which looks to be Jim’s plan at the present. 

Sure, but it's gotta happen at some point. And with next year being so crazy, why not see how it goes? I agree we need to add to insulate still. But maybe not as much as others thing we do. I didn't even put Hogz on my list since I have not watched him much. You add him and Pod, Tryamkin at the end of the season. We may not be in that bad of trouble.

Just need a RD to protect Hughes! Most importantly I think.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Darkstar said:

The Toffoli and Stecher contract combined equals the Eriksson contract.

Sutter will make more than Toffoli next season (he signed the contract in 2015)

Legitimately terrifying asset management

Yeah, Benning isn’t the best guy at signing sensible contracts. Hopefully he kills it via the trade route. 

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Better to ride them out than anything else at this point.

I’m sure Beagle helped engineer the Holtby signing at least...

And has been helping Motte and MacEwen perhaps...  I really don't mind Beagle on our team or his contract.  

Roussel might come back healthy next year and our bottom 6 could be looking good again.  I'm not willing to write off proven NHL players as anchors just because some Canucks fans said so after staring at capfriendly for a few minutes.  

"Believe in the process" 

-Alain Vigneault 

-Wayne Gretzky probably 

28 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

right now 2nd Fwd line and 2nd defense pairing looks like this

_____- horvat - ______

Edler - _______

Pearson is not a 2nd line winger

Pearson scored 21 goals and was a steady two-way winger last season but ok.