The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

9 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I feel if Wallestedt is at 9, and if Hughes, Clarke, Edvinsson is gone, you take Wallestedt . High key would hate to see Wallestedt drafted by Calgary at 12 

I'm all for taking Wallstedt however I also think there are teams that will be chomping at the bit to acquire our pick to draft him sooo the possible return might make it more worthwhile to move down.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regarding trading the pick we should of course consider it for the right deal, but one thing that often gets overlooked is that you need a constant pool of young players on ELC making the team to stay good over time. So having a player from this draft make the team in 2-3 years is equally important vs adding a good player via trade this year. Especially since we're not ready to contend yet anyway.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm all for taking Wallstedt however I also think there are teams that will be chomping at the bit to acquire our pick to draft him sooo the possible return might make it more worthwhile to move down.  

I think the usual cost of moving up a couple spots to draft earlier is like a 2nd round pick. Is that enough for you? Just wondering

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

I think the usual cost of moving up a couple spots to draft earlier is like a 2nd round pick. Is that enough for you? Just wondering

I think if we have to choose from Guenther Johnson Wallstedt I feel like getting 2 of Svechkov, Sillinger, Ceulemans, heimosalmi and addressing 2 areas of need VS 1 nice to have would be worth it.

Edited by hammertime

20 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Wasn't he talking about if Wallstedt is still available at 9 though? Wouldn't that be more a 2nd and...

Because, if it's say Detroit (because I hear people say Detroit is most likely to want Wallstedt) their first would already be gone. Even if it's Detroit 22nd it would still be 22nd and...

Or even right across. Here's a silly hyperbolic fantasy to make a point. Wallstedt at 9 for Seider. :rolleyes: So, that's not going to happen but as an example, yeah that would be enough. ;)

Or again just for fun...

https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-prospect-rankings-2021/

10 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Minni has 21 and 25?, I dont see Sillinger falling that far. Svechkov & Celeusman is POSSIBLE but who knows. 

Sure Ceulemans Heimasalmi in the first, Koivunen , Salminen, Helenius Jake Martin with our 2nd. 

if we are doing the trade for only a 1st and 2nd the 1st needs to be top 15 minimum. 

Just now, hammertime said:

Sure Ceulemans Heimasalmi in the first, Koivunen , Salminen, Helenius Jake Martin with our 2nd. 

if we are doing the trade for only a 1st and 2nd the 1st needs to be top 15 minimum. 

I feel a team might try to finesse us and offer mid 1st and 2nd. In your example wouldnt surprise me if Minni was like 21 and their 2nd 

37 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I feel a team might try to finesse us and offer mid 1st and 2nd. In your example wouldnt surprise me if Minni was like 21 and their 2nd 

after further thought I would be OK with it if they took salary back like Roussel or something.

Honestly in this flat cap era moving salary will be costly. I don't think JB does it buuuut speaking for myself I would consider it. And I like Roussel however his injuries are a real concern for me. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Haha 1

Other than Power and Beniers, every player is in play really. Who knows what he teams ahead will do. McTavish could be in the Top 3. Any chance VAN trades the #9 and DiPietro + to a team needing goaltending for a higher pick? Try to grab Clarke? Maybe take another goaltender in Round 2 or 3? That would be aggressive. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

That was very interesting

Cam's comparables were most surprising to me, and makes me wonder if this Draft class will amount to much lol Well, except for a few of them. 

Power - Parayko or Pietrangelo

Beniers - Larkin

McTavish - Dubois

Clarke - Theodore

Guenther - Toffoli

Eklund - he didn't have a comparable

Hughes - Rathbone

Johnson - Baertschi

Edvinsson - Ristolainen

Cam also mentioned Wallstedt, and said something interesting how he could be in the NHL in 2 years, whereas it's taken Demko 7 years to get to this point. This Wallstedt kid is elite and I wonder if he's actually VAN"s best bet for the #9. Would be a great trading piece if they decide to. 

he also said the edvinsson's hockey sense wasn't much better than virtanens but thought he seemed like a benning type of pick.

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

McTavish might be at 9. But I rather have Wallestedt. Gimme that FRANCHISE goalie and lets have another goalie controversy :bigblush::towel::emot-parrot:

Here's a silly hypothetical. How does Stevie feel about his team? If he really likes a player at 6 and wants his cake n eat it too........

Would he do 2022 1st unprotected and a 2nd 2021

for

Our 9th 2021 (Wallstedt) and say a 4th 2022?  I feel like we would need to add something and by that time JB will already be crowned genius or fired so if he trades away the next GM's 4th it wont matter? 

He could pull a Miller trade on us and make the playoffs next year or........ We could get a lotto ticket in the big sweepstakes next years 1st unprotected cough Wright (It could even be a boat) and a high 2nd this year.

Edit we don't have a 3rd next year**** 

Edited by hammertime

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Who are the guys most likely to be left for us at 9?

Power is no chance.

Beniers is no chance.

But after that, couldn’t any of these guys fall?

Edvinson, Clark, Eklund, McTavish, Hughes?  I’d be happy if we got any of these guys. 

If all those guys are gone, and we are left with Johnson or Gunther I’d hope GMJB trades the pick.  

Agree with Powers and Beniers also think Eklund is gone for sure . McTavish , second best center probably gone .Clark top RHD also probably gone [ I would like him as a Canuck ] . Have no idea where Gunther goes . Edvinson  seems to be all over the map when it comes to Rankings could be the steal if he drops . Johnson keeps getting compared to a young EP so that would be nice and Hughes with his injury and that fact the Jack didn't hit the ground and run away with the league and Quinn's  defensive troubles early this year might keep some GM's from making him there first choice . I would be Happy with any of them as well as Wallstedt  if he is considered their BPA 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

Agree with Powers and Beniers also think Eklund is gone for sure . McTavish , second best center probably gone .Clark top RHD also probably gone [ I would like him as a Canuck ] . Have no idea where Gunther goes . Edvinson  seems to be all over the map when it comes to Rankings could be the steal if he drops . Johnson keeps getting compared to a young EP so that would be nice and Hughes with his injury and that fact the Jack didn't hit the ground and run away with the league and Quinn's  defensive troubles early this year might keep some GM's from making him there first choice . I would be Happy with any of them as well as Wallstedt  if he is considered their BPA 

I’m just hoping we have more to choose from than Johnson and Gunther.  

• Like 1