The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

56 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Perhaps but I doubt there are very many this year. I just don't see the Canucks trading one of their top players for a first round lottery ticket... Just don't see that happening. It would be more likely to be similar to the Laine... Pierre Luc Dubois scenario if it were to happen at all.

I am, however very curious as to who you think is worth a 1st to another team that the Canucks would be willing to part with.

Miller would go for a first. If they can't fix/find what Miller's issues are this year they may just move on.

Schmidt and Holtby might get a first depending on the other teams injury situation, and play off aspirations

The rest are 2nd picks at best, unless they are packaged up, and even then it is doubtful.

I am a guy that would trade any player that does not have trade protection, as long as it helps the team.

I also would not sign any ntc/nmc with any player short of young Crosby/Mcdavid/Ovie stature

Luke Hughes really does look great in the most recent clips available. 

He's not a flying ballerina with elite puck skills like Quinn, but he's bigger and has very good hands and feet of his own.

Owen Power is an absolute monster, but I think L. Hughes is more skilled with the puck. 
I expect a ton of debate around these two (and a few others) in the months to come.

Time to start seriously watching this year's crop, cuz we're gonna be in a position to get a good one...

• Vintage 1
Just now, gurn said:

Miller would go for a first. If they can't fix/find what Miller's issues are this year they may just move on.

Schmidt and Holtby might get a first depending on the other teams injury situation, and play off aspirations

The rest are 2nd picks at best, unless they are packaged up, and even then it is doubtful.

I am a guy that would trade any player that does not have trade protection, as long as it helps the team.

I also would not sign any ntc/nmc with any player short of young Crosby/Mcdavid/Ovie stature

I can't see them trading Miller for a pick even if it was a 1st; perhaps for a top 6 forward but think that is also unlikely. I could possibly see Schmidt traded for another top 4 puck moving D man and any movement of Holtby would require a goalie in return to fulfill the exposure requirement for the expansion draft unless you want to risk Demko as Dipietro is exempt

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Does Benning try to save his job by trading the 1st + for a Top pairing Dman?

At this point in the development of Pettersson, Hoglander, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, etc. drafting a kid who will take a couple of years to develop and make an impact won't help their current situation. They've already got some pretty good prospects (Podkolzin, Focht, Lind, Lockwood, Zlodeyev, Woo, Rathbone, Jurmo, DiPietro). 

Going to venture a guess that Benning trades the 1st + for a Dman. OEL?

OEL said if he wasn't traded then he was staying in ARI. Also the cap is a thing. We take on 8.25 who's going back the other way? OEL is washed up. If the Canucks are getting a top pairing D it will be one under 26. Not 30

I wanted Ekblad, lottery said F you. I wanted Boqvist, but we got Hughes (not complaining, this worked out amazingly well). Wanted Soderstrom, Pod dropped into our laps from the heavens. Gimme my RHD, I want Clarke. If not him, I want Hughes.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:13 AM, KKnight said:

Brandt Clarke is my top target this draft. What a thought to add him to Quinn for our defensive core. He might even be able to start in the nhl next season. 

Hughes - Tryamkin 

Schmidt - Clarke

Juolevi - Myers

I'm not sure if Clarke and Quinn would be a good pairing, based on their play style. 

is woo the forgotten man?

16 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Does Benning try to save his job by trading the 1st + for a Top pairing Dman?

At this point in the development of Pettersson, Hoglander, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, etc. drafting a kid who will take a couple of years to develop and make an impact won't help their current situation. They've already got some pretty good prospects (Podkolzin, Focht, Lind, Lockwood, Zlodeyev, Woo, Rathbone, Jurmo, DiPietro). 

Going to venture a guess that Benning trades the 1st + for a Dman. OEL?

it would be nice to know what the upside on our prospects are, who they would be compared too?

• RoughGame 1

Looks like we'll probably walk out with a top-5 left-handed defenceman. Luke Hughes of course would be nice, he does fill all our problems and I worry Power is going to be a bit too sluggish for the NHL and not as mobile as he needs to be. Hughes, Hughes and Juolevi down the left is us sorted for the next 15 years. I think we could convert Quinn to a right-sided defenceman easily, maybe even play with his brother.

Myers is a lock to help groom the kids and Schmidt will do well as a veteran, but someone's going to have to play the right and it'll probably be Myers and maybe Schmidt but I think the way Quinn skates would lend himself to playing the off-side. He's always caught up ice anyway so rarely would have to defend skating backwards on his off-side.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I wanted Ekblad, lottery said F you. I wanted Boqvist, but we got Hughes (not complaining, this worked out amazingly well). Wanted Soderstrom, Pod dropped into our laps from the heavens. Gimme my RHD, I want Clarke. If not him, I want Hughes.

Good quality top 4 potential all round d man are very difficult to acquire and keeping them is a hefty &^@#ing fee.

Lefties are more bountiful than ever because kids are skating and playing hockey as young as ever.

When you pickup a hockey stick it's more natural to have your dominant right hand on the knob since as a 2 or 3 or 4 year old the kid would not have developed the strength to use their left on top to control the knob and the right to flex the shaft.

This is why we have seen this epidemic of young left handed d men take over the ranks.

It is so difficult to find quality d in the first place but a right shot d man who has size and plays a 2 way game is virtually a unicorn now!

A guy like Makar is going to make huge bucks. The fact he is a righty makes him ultra valuable.

Edited by Chip Kelly

Corson Ceulemans is an intriguing study.

Big right hand shot. Who can skate and plays a 2 way type game.

Also is willing to play physical and actually use his size.

Playing for the same program that produced Cake Makar.

Is committed to join the Wisconsin Badgers for a few NCAA development years before he turns pro and adds more mass to his solid frame.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

is woo the forgotten man?

Woo isn't going to be ready until at least 2023 

Ideally we could find our way out of Myers contract at that point. 

Edited by KKnight
3 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

I hope we do as bad next year as well. DEEP AF draft 

I

Michkov is a late birthday, 2023 eligible. That said, both of your points still stand. I've seen Michkov quite a bit already and he's honestly one of the most exciting prospects I've seen in many years. Absolutely electric. His skating agility and deceptiveness are out of this world.

But even without Michkov, 2022 looks like it could be an all-time draft class. Wright and Miroshnichenko look like NHL franchise players to me, and Lambert and Savoie look like superstars as well. I believe any of the four would go first overall in the 2021 draft. And then you have Luneau, Casey, Nemec, Salomonsson, Trikozov, Nazar, McGroarty, Yurov, who I believe would all be in the mix for the top five in the 2021 draft.

41 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Michkov is a late birthday, 2023 eligible. That said, both of your points still stand. I've seen Michkov quite a bit already and he's honestly one of the most exciting prospects I've seen in many years. Absolutely electric. His skating agility and deceptiveness are out of this world.

But even without Michkov, 2022 looks like it could be an all-time draft class. Wright and Miroshnichenko look like NHL franchise players to me, and Lambert and Savoie look like superstars as well. I believe any of the four would go first overall in the 2021 draft. And then you have Luneau, Casey, Nemec, Salomonsson, Trikozov, Nazar, McGroarty, Yurov, who I believe would all be in the mix for the top five in the 2021 draft.

Oops! Thanks for catching my mistake. I got too excited haha. I think when hes draft eligible we won't be that bad. But I hope next year 2022 draft we get another high pick. I dont think we are quite ready to win yet next year. 

I dunno about everyone else but when I watch Power play I just see a behemoth of a kid lumbering around. I'm not seeing much in the way of elite skill or IQ. What is most worrisome on top is I'm not really seeing much in the way of snarl. He moves the puck well in the O zone and he physically imposes his will on anyone he comes into contact with . I just haven't seen him do much of anything remarkable except be huge and above average at hockey. At his size I guess that's good enough. But I'm not seeing Shea Webber, Victor Headman upside there. 

When compared to the other big boi in the top of the draft Simon Edvinsson I see a lot more upside in Edvinsson he skates very fluidly for a big man. Plays with pace finishes his checks with pop. He wants the puck on his stick and as quickly as its on it he's made a play with it. This is a kid I can really get excited about. I have him at #2 for D men.

Speaking of kids to be excited Luke has got to be our number 1 choice here. He skates and handles the puck like his brethren which at 6'2" doesn't seem possible but he does it. Given the opportunity if he is available it would be foolish to take anyone else.  I seriously don't know how anyone can watch him and not rank him 1st overall. 

Brandt Clarke I have come full circle on I would have him as my #3 D man in this draft class.  He does all the things sometimes too many things if he can settle his game down a bit and rely on his team mates. He has so much ability he's bursting all over the place. With some coaching he could be elite. However if we do end up drafting him I hope we have a few left shot Tanev clones growing in the basement of the ROG.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I dunno about everyone else but when I watch Power play I just see a behemoth of a kid lumbering around. I'm not seeing much in the way of elite skill or IQ. What is most worrisome on top is I'm not really seeing much in the way of snarl. He moves the puck well in the O zone and he physically imposes his will on anyone he comes into contact with . I just haven't seen him do much of anything remarkable except be huge and above average at hockey. At his size I guess that's good enough. But I'm not seeing Shea Webber, Victor Headman upside there. 

When compared to the other big boi in the top of the draft Simon Edvinsson I see a lot more upside in Edvinsson he skates very fluidly for a big man. Plays with pace finishes his checks with pop. He wants the puck on his stick and as quickly as its on it he's made a play with it. This is a kid I can really get excited about. I have him at #2 for D men.

Speaking of kids to be excited Luke has got to be our number 1 choice here. He skates and handles the puck like his brethren which at 6'2" doesn't seem possible but he does it. Given the opportunity if he is available it would be foolish to take anyone else.  I seriously don't know how anyone can watch him and not rank him 1st overall. 

Brandt Clarke I have come full circle on I would have him as my #3 D man in this draft class.  He does all the things sometimes too many things if he can settle his game down a bit and rely on his team mates. He has so much ability he's bursting all over the place. With some coaching he could be elite. However if we do end up drafting him I hope we have a few left shot Tanev clones growing in the basement of the ROG.

Love your write up! Do you see Power as someone who is like Ekblad? Also what are your thoughts on Kent Johnson 

2 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Love your write up! Do you see Power as someone who is like Ekblad? Also what are your thoughts on Kent Johnson 

I'm a big fan of Johnson. I'm always pulling for the BCHL kids though. Newhook, Jost, Fabbro. Johnson is a joy to watch his dangles have dangles. Eklund and Johnson are my 2 favorite forwards in this draft.  

Just now, hammertime said:

I'm a big fan of Johnson. I'm always pulling for the BCHL kids though. Newhook, Jost, Fabbro. Johnson is a joy to watch his dangles have dangles. Eklund and Johnson are my 2 favorite forwards in this draft.  

Would you pick Kent Johnson 1st overall? Theres been talks but this draft class is another 2017 I hear. No one knows who will go where. 

4 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Would you pick Kent Johnson 1st overall? Theres been talks but this draft class is another 2017 I hear. No one knows who will go where. 

I would not. But I'm not saying he doesn't have that upside in any way shape or form. For me however.

Luke

Edvinsson

Eklund dogged forecheck skill to set up mates or finish himself.

Clarke

Johnson 

Wallstedt  Detroit should take him fools not to.