The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

36 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well he could take Edvinsson, but he has a bigger boom/bust factor than Hughes

I will really love to compare lists afterwards....................probably 180 degrees off.......lol

Murray most often goes CHL with early picks, but yes, occasionally Sweden too. I could also possibly see Seattle taking Edvinsson. Where he ends up on McKenzies's final rankings will tell us a lot.

Usually nobody else is anywhere close to as accurate as mine, fans or media. But I'm expecting this to be a really tough year to predict, lots of variables, so who knows? Also I'm still learning every year. Previously I made the mistake of trusting the tendencies too much. That's the basis of my strategy, but of course GMs are going to occasionally stray outside their comfort zone if there's an obvious BPA. I remember being shocked when Anaheim picked Zegras, because they almost never pick from NTDP, especially not high. But in retrospect I should have expected it was a possibility, when half the top 15 was coming from NTDP that year.

2019 I had 8 correct. Last year just 5, but would have been 7 if I'd swapped Byfield and Stuetzle. I was one of the only people who correctly predicted Jake Sanderson to Ottawa at 5 (Dorion loves the NTDP) and Drysdale fall to Anaheim at 6.

I got excited this year and started posting before McKenzie's final list, but I'll be making adjustments based on McKenzie's insights for sure.

Edited by HighOnHockey

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just watching the Boston - NYI game (replay)

So Physical, you just can't be too heavy in the playoffs

Which is precisely why the prospect of picking McTavish at #9 is a lot more intriguing to me than potentially picking a fancier, lighter-weight forward, like Johnson, if there are no decent Dmen left by then.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, nergish said:

As someone who's played the position coming on 20 years, I agree. 
Wallstedt is my favourite goaltending prospect of the last 10 years, and it's because of his poise.

He's not as "sleepy" a netminder as Spencer Knight (who definitely comes from the Carey Price school of ice cold goaltending), but is definitely very calm in the crease.

Stylistically, he reminds of Jacob Markstrom AFTER being groomed by Ian Clark. For an 18 year old it's damn impressive.

That said, I am endlessly intrigued by Sebastian Cossa as well.
As a smaller goalie myself, I always turn my nose up at 6'6 crease-monsters who get by on their size. But with Cossa, you just can't deny it - the kid does not let many pucks past him at his current level. I believe there is a world where he is the best goaltender in this class, and if I imagine hard enough I can even see him representing Canada at the highest level.

Great year for goaltending.

Goaltending is a very hard position to gauge because there are so many different styles, sizes, and is so mentally demanding. My favourite tender was Dominick Hasek and I dont think there will ever he another like him, his style was so unique. 

8 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Murray most often goes CHL with early picks, but yes, occasionally Sweden too. I could also possibly see Seattle taking Edvinsson. Where he ends up on McKenzies's final rankings will tell us a lot.

Usually nobody else is anywhere close to as accurate as mine, fans or media. But I'm expecting this to be a really tough year to predict, lots of variables, so who knows? Also I'm still learning every year. Previously I made the mistake of trusting the tendencies too much. That's the basis of my strategy, but of course GMs are going to occasionally stray outside their comfort zone if there's an obvious BPA. I remember being shocked when Anaheim picked Zegras, because they almost never pick from NTDP, especially not high. But in retrospect I should have expected it was a possibility, when half the top 15 was coming from NTDP that year.

2019 I had 8 correct. Last year just 5, but would have been 7 if I'd swapped Byfield and Stuetzle. I was one of the only people who correctly predicted Jake Sanderson to Ottawa at 5 (Dorion loves the NTDP) and Drysdale fall to Anaheim at 6.

I got excited this year and started posting before McKenzie's final list, but I'll be making adjustments based on McKenzie's insights for sure.

Skill over Intangibles

That is the question

I think, people forget that a player ranked in the top 10 has skill too, and it is his intangibles that set him apart, the skill guys above him would still have intangibles, so it becomes a question of over riding factors.....

Who has the drive and will to impose his strengths over the opposition, and who the scouts feel can succeed in doing that.........

Like I said to Deb......when doing the exercise in my head of who should be ranked higher, I put them in a one on one situation to see who is winner

Who impacts the game more, one on one?

For me, I have always argued Orr over Gretzky, because one on one, I believe Orr dominates Gretzky...............That is the exercise I use. Right or Wrong

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Goaltending is a very hard position to gauge because there are so many different styles, sizes, and is so mentally demanding. My favourite tender was Dominick Hasek and I dont think there will ever he another like him, his style was so unique. 

Ha ha, you're comment reminded me of a simpler time when coaching my kid, and I did not have a goalie for the whole season, so I called a parent meeting and told all my parents, that every kid on the team would get his turn in goal.

Well, it comes to my worst skaters turn, and he is flip, flopping around like Dominick Hasek, but manages to stop all but one shot, he took it it off his mask, he took them off the knob of his stick, he would fall down and somehow the puck would slide to him........he was absolutely brilliant, and we won the game, and the kid almost had a shut out........

I was a coaching genius, and as I wait in the dressing room, for his Dad to come in and help undress him from his gear, the kids are buzzing, parents are coming in and giving Mark accolades... ...then his dad walks in looking sick, and laughing.....he says " Never put my kid in goal again, I almost had a heart attack"  It was the funniest game and moment in all my time in hockey.

Sorry to digress, but that is what the mention of Hasek brings up to me..............he was friggin amazing!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

You could be right Jimmy, I do think there seems to be a demand this year. The 2 goalies have both been ranked high, with the edge going to Wallstedt.

Its fun to try to guess at these things. But thank god its Jim doing the picking and not me.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ha ha, you're comment reminded me of a simpler time when coaching my kid, and I did not have a goalie for the whole season, so I called a parent meeting and told all my parents, that every kid on the team would get his turn in goal.

Well, it comes to my worst skaters turn, and he is flip, flopping around like Dominick Hasek, but manages to stop all but one shot, he took it it off his mask, he took them off the knob of his stick, he would fall down and somehow the puck would slide to him........he was absolutely brilliant, and we won the game, and the kid almost had a shut out........

I was a coaching genius, and as I wait in the dressing room, for his Dad to come in and help undress him from his gear, the kids are buzzing, parents are coming in and giving Mark accolades... ...then his dad walks in looking sick, and laughing.....he says " Never put my kid in goal again, I almost had a heart attack"  It was the funniest game and moment in all my time in hockey.

Sorry to digress, but that is what the mention of Hasek brings up to me..............he was friggin amazing!

Haha Hasek did look like he was getting lucky all the time. I remember the 1998 Olympics when Hasek almost single handedly took down the juggernaut Team Canada and went on to win gold on his back, it was other worldly. 

Team Canada 

Goalies:

Patrick Roy

Brodeur

Dmen:

Ray Bourque

Rob Blake

Pronger 

Scott Stevens 

Al McInnis

Adam Foote

Forwards:

Gretzky 

Sakic

Lindros

Yzerman

Linden

Shanahan

ect.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

1BEBF401-57AC-452D-BF88-9264A15F0062.jpeg

1 hour ago, nergish said:

Is that Dobson? I'd target him for sure. 
Don't think I'd do 9th straight up, though.

Made this suggestion in proposals:

Get our future RD to play with Hughes and keep our pick to snag a faller, McT, Johnson or Svech.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Get our future RD to play with Hughes and keep our pick to snag a faller, McT, Johnson or Svech.

I wish Ladd had a better buy out but thats interesting.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wish Ladd had a better buy out but thats interesting.

Yeah, it's a bit of a toilet (like Eriksson) but as I point out in the post, it actually saves us a few hundred k next year when we're tightest for cap. And he has a $3m bonus/$1m salary the final year that may just see him just retire the final year after the bonus is paid. Especially if we perhaps offer him a coaching/management role in Abby.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, nergish said:

Is that Dobson? I'd target him for sure. 
Don't think I'd do 9th straight up, though.

I don’t know that they’d do it for less (or even for just that). I haven’t watched him enough to know what I think is a really fair value.... I just know he’s a big right handed D who is projected to be top 4.... and I’ve liked him since his draft year :) 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just watching the Boston - NYI game (replay)

So Physical, you just can't be too heavy in the playoffs

Guess that explains why Phil Kessel is damn good come playoff time!

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Interesting. Ladd is some pretty nasty dead weight, but as others mentioned in that thread... local Maple Ridge guy, longstanding veteran with a ton of leadership qualities.. could be useful as part of our coaching staff even if bought out?

I think there's the makings of something there.

Dobson is a great target. Exactly the kind of player we need, and incredibly young still.

• Cheers 1