The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

9 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

The topic of discussion was NHL-ready next year. Not long-term potential. I have my opinions on the player, but what is objective fact is Edvinsson is raw. Tons of size and natural talent, but he has a lot to learn. First let him show he can earn regular ice time in the SHL, then we can talk about the NHL.

And he will need (should have the opportunity to have) a year or two in the AHL too.  The game happens so much faster on our smaller ice, he will need to adjust to that.  I’d like it, if we do get him, be where he comes here to play.  

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

The topic of discussion was NHL-ready next year. Not long-term potential. I have my opinions on the player, but what is objective fact is Edvinsson is raw. Tons of size and natural talent, but he has a lot to learn. First let him show he can earn regular ice time in the SHL, then we can talk about the NHL.

That's all good, and it might take him years to be an NHLer, but is that The Plan? Jim and Trav have 2 years to turn this team into a playoff team. I guarantee Edvinsson won't help with that.  Long term, Edvinsson is probably a great choice, but the Canucks are under a lot of pressure to turn things around quick. I really hope Benning can keep the #9, and make them a playoff team. but he'll need to be bold and crafty. 

Edited by NUCKER67

I don't think any of the 4 Dman falls to 9th. I think the Canucks will have a choice between Guenther or McTavish. I know C is needed but from videos I've seen of both players I'd take Guenther. He seems electric. 

The way I see this going down

1.BUF (D) Power. 

2.SEA. (C) Beniers. GM Ronnie says they will build up the middle

3. ANA ( C/RW) Eklund. Anaheim could use more skill upfront and Eklund, the no. 1 Euro had an excellent rookie year in the SHL, he fits the bill

4. NJ (D) Hughes. NJ has skill upfront could use more on the back end. Luke skating the line on their PP and dishing to Jack will drive the NYR fans crazy. 

5. CBJ (D) Clarke. To the dismay of us Canuck fans CBJ gets our guy. With Jones likely gone they need a high end RD and Clarke may end up being the best D from this draft

6. DET (G) Wallstedt. Det has very good prospects upfront and on the back but nothing in goal. Wallstedt fulfills that need

7.SJS (D) Edvinsson. Sharks need players everywhere but more so on D and Edvinsson is last D standing. 

8. LAK (LW/C) Johnson. Kent had a fantastic rookie year playing LW at UofM. Kent on the wing with either Byfield or Turcotte is gonna be crazy. 

9.VAN (LW/RW) Guenther. I'm sure a lot may disagree and say take McTavish but Dylan's speed, skill and potential is more tantalizing than McT's

10. OTT (C) Lucius. Chaz dropped in ranking due to an injury filled year but he apparently had one of the best if not the best shots in this class. (He may be the Barzal of this class but I doubt that) 

11.CHI (G) Cossa

12.CAL (C) McTavish 

Edited by KariyaSakicAnderson

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure they should take a winger with the #9, but the Canucks would have some really good wingers down the road with Boeser, Hoglander, Podkolzin and Guenther. They're all pretty dynamic in their own way.

Guenther (like Lysell) is another prospect I really feel like can round out our top-6:

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Podkolzin - Horvat - Guenther

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Guenther (like Lysell) is another prospect I really feel like can round out our top-6:

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Podkolzin - Horvat - Guenther

That's a great Top 6

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure they should take a winger with the #9, but the Canucks would have some really good wingers down the road with Boeser, Hoglander, Podkolzin and Guenther. They're all pretty dynamic in their own way.

They won the Stanley cup with all their great wingers.

Said no one ever.

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I feel like Guenther would be a great pick, especially if Lind does indeed get swept up in the Expansion Draft. I have this feeling that the Kraken will take up one of Lind, Gadjovich, or MacEwen. Guenther's an easy replacement, and if the cookie crumbles in that way, would be the best player available.

I still want Stankoven though. Package up our second rounder with a prospect and move up late first to pick Stankoven lol.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so Ladd, including bonus, plus Dobson for Nate.... 

it would have to be for Dobson because we'd need him to step in sometime next year, if not out of camp. 

It still leaves NYI over the cap, so I think they'd want a cost controlled F out of us too. So the deal might have to include someone like Lind too. 

I'd do that.

38 minutes ago, hammertime said:

We lack Center depth. Thats no joke. 

This is true. Other than Focht and maybe Zlodeyev, there's really nothing.  We're almost back to - Zhukenov is our C hope lol

Rating the Cs?

1. Eklund

2. Beniers

3. Johnson

4. McTavish

5. Lucius

6. Sillinger

7. Svechkov

1 hour ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

I don't think any of the 4 Dman falls to 9th. I think the Canucks will have a choice between Guenther or McTavish. I know C is needed but from videos I've seen of both players I'd take Guenther. He seems electric. 

The way I see this going down

1.BUF (D) Power. 

2.SEA. (C) Beniers. GM Ronnie says they will build up the middle

3. ANA ( C/RW) Eklund. Anaheim could use more skill upfront and Eklund, the no. 1 Euro had an excellent rookie year in the SHL, he fits the bill

4. NJ (D) Hughes. NJ has skill upfront could use more on the back end. Luke skating the line on their PP and dishing to Jack will drive the NYR fans crazy. 

5. CBJ (D) Clarke. To the dismay of us Canuck fans CBJ gets our guy. With Jones likely gone they need a high end RD and Clarke may end up being the best D from this draft

6. DET (G) Wallstedt. Det has very good prospects upfront and on the back but nothing in goal. Wallstedt fulfills that need

7.SJS (D) Edvinsson. Sharks need players everywhere but more so on D and Edvinsson is last D standing. 

8. LAK (LW/C) Johnson. Kent had a fantastic rookie year playing LW at UofM. Kent on the wing with either Byfield or Turcotte is gonna be crazy. 

9.VAN (LW/RW) Guenther. I'm sure a lot may disagree and say take McTavish but Dylan's speed, skill and potential is more tantalizing than McT's

10. OTT (C) Lucius. Chaz dropped in ranking due to an injury filled year but he apparently had one of the best if not the best shots in this class. (He may be the Barzal of this class but I doubt that) 

11.CHI (G) Cossa

12.CAL (C) McTavish 

Again, I really like the general idea behind your picks, much like @janisahockeynut, but I really can't see Wallstedt going that high.  I really hope that I'm wrong, but I think that he'll go somewhere between 12th to 20th....  which brings me to the fact that we will have to settle for McTavish or one of the 1B prospects. 

Anyways good list! 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

Again, I really like the general idea behind your picks, much like @janisahockeynut, but I really can't see Wallstedt going that high.  I really hope that I'm wrong, but I think that he'll go somewhere between 12th to 20th....  which brings me to the fact that we will have to settle for McTavish or one of the 1B prospects. 

Anyways good list! 

Detroit is a team that I could see trading back maybe multiple times, picking up a few 2nds and still nabbing Wallstedt.

Pretty sure Stevie Y is notorious for that.

If Benning wants to be aggressive and move up to 6 because there’s a stud like Clarke there I have no problem giving up our 2nd. The need for a player like Clarke is that high.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1