The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

34 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I know 90% of you have seen these already, but for those that haven't...  they are a good watch.  

Weird seeing linden and bracket now lol. This was good hope they release soemthing like this for this years too but probably not

2 hours ago, Isam said:

Guenther is a better forward than what people on here are giving him credit for. His overall body of work has established that. Problem is recency bias and one tourney might devalue him and raise up someone like cuelmans who had a great u18 which is allowing alot of people to ignore alot of problems he has had with brooks in the ajhl.

I agree. Recency bias is truly a powerful factor in decision making. These two write ups about him from http://www.mynhldraft.com/2021-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Dylan-Guenther really make me believe that he’s a far more well rounded player than just the goal scorer that myself and some others have been pegging him as:

Dylan Guenther's Player Profile

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - May 24th: "He may look wiry, but this dual-threat from the flank is an excellent penalty killer who also plays with snarl."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - May 12th: "Thinks the game at a high level and is constantly utilizing all resources to improve his game. While offence is what jumps out, the proficiency in his game extends the length of the ice."

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Weird seeing linden and bracket now lol. This was good hope they release soemthing like this for this years too but probably not

Yeah it is weird seeing them...  but even though those two guys were important, Benning is still the one that runs the show.  I'm sure that some of the newer guys like Ryan Biech for example will have a louder voice and new scouts will step up.  

They will probably release something again.  This is the one from last year. 

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah it is weird seeing them...  but even though those two guys were important, Benning is still the one that runs the show.  I'm sure that some of the newer guys like Ryan Biech for example will have a louder voice and new scouts will step up.  

I've always enjoyed these. The 2017 draft one is legendary.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I actually never saw last years thanks. Wasn’t that into the draft. And Biech will be good to see in thst capacity for sure thanks

• Cheers 1

BPA every team see's it differently and so does every scout . they will each values things differently . No team has ever said after the Draft that they thought somebody they pasted up was better at the time . They will always say they valued them as equal or very close to it with other factors . Nashville brings along Defensemen extremely well so when they look at a " D" man they probably think his trade value will be higher than many other teams  would . Many GM's appear to draft from the same league year after year near the top end of the draft . And don't get me started on " Wingspan " hahahaha although  height , weight . birthdate [ Closer to 17 or 19 at time of the draft ] these things all play a small part in each teams BPA . Positioning would come into it if other things are equal [ No team is going to draft a left winger 5 years in a row under normal circumstances ] . With Jake's ongoing off ice dealings my next statement might sound off But Character seems to be very high on there determination of BPA . It is usually one of the first things stated when they take top end talent . 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Not the same as when the league produced guys like Trevor.  Fewer farm boys.  

Weak argument alf especially when there some killers like bedard, geekie, and yager in the league

2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Watching the World's I can totally see why Power is #1 on most boards. I'm 50/50 on Craig Button (pretty annoying dude), but I liked his assessment on Power. He doesn't have Hedman's skill or Pronger's nastiness, but he controls the game like them. I'd say that's fair.

Yea I could see him being just good at everything but not elite at one thing.

Might be similar to Erik Johnson going 1st overall in 2006. Not a game changing type defenseman but one that can help you win.

That being said I have a feeling he won’t end up being the best defenseman in the draft. Maybe not even the second best.

3 hours ago, Isam said:

Guenther is a better forward then what people on here are giving him credit for. His overall body of work has established that. Problem is recency bias and one tourney might devalue him and raise up someone like cuelmans who had a great u18 which is allowing alot of people to ignore alot of problems he has had with brooks in the ajhl.

its not so much that, as decently skilled guys dominating in the WHL that then can't translate to the NHL, and I'd put Hayton in that category for now. It worries me a bit going off WHL performance this year in particular like Arizona did with Hayton, and they reached for him too. 

I'm not pre-claiming the kid is a bust, just that I'd rather look at a body of work from the SHL e.g. on such an important pick. Its more about the ability to assess players and what league they've been in this year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AK_19 said:

He's definitely not the same caliber of player. Guenther literally has double the PPG pace as Virtanen and Hayton at the same age and league while being defensively sound. Height wise they are also the same. I'm still shocked how highly ranked Virtanen was his draft year based on his numbers (not blaming Benning, everyone but Button basically had him a top 10 pick).

I'm quite high on Guenther, the only issue I have is we are probably more stacked at RW than any other position. However, we should be drafting BPA first round so it shouldn't matter. Pick up the RHD and centres in the later rounds. 

not that I'd want to, but if he's as good as you think he'd make it easier to trade a guy like Boeser, which may have to happen for cap reasons down the road. 

I just don't know if we can look at WHL experience in the same way as SHL for top prospects. Wouldn't a good performance in the SHL be a better indicator of the ability to translate to the NHL? We can also put the pick into Abbotsford right away, vs. needing to either rush the pick of leave them in the WHL where they won't really get better. 

Zach Dean has definitely caught my eye with his skating. So smooth and naturally speedy, all he needs to do is fine tune his offensive thought process. Just the little things. I feel like his mind is a step behind his actual footspeed. But if he's able to put the whole package together, he could be one of the most gifted skaters in this draft...

Very, very fast.

20 hours ago, R3aL said:

Stankoven on a goal streak / heater would be lots of fun!

well I think you nailed ehlers tbh he would have been a great pick for us.

i remember I was huge on Nick Ritchie and Nylander wasn’t so keen on ehlers but I was wrong.

ya Holtby would just be a dream it seems now. Lind seems to be the most desirable. Be nice if we could protect him. to Try and force them taking someone with salary implications .

Well I look forward to seeing how stankoven turns out and where he goes in the draft! Thanks for sharing mate 

Honestly, in a perfect world, Pearson would be exposed. He would be another guy the Kraken have their eyes on, for sure. However, I believe there's something in his contract that stated he wouldn't be exposed to Seattle. 

6 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Honestly, in a perfect world, Pearson would be exposed. He would be another guy the Kraken have their eyes on, for sure. However, I believe there's something in his contract that stated he wouldn't be exposed to Seattle. 

They re-signed Pearson strictly for Bo. I don't get it, but whatever makes the captain happy.  

2nd Round Right Dman maybe?

I seen Morrow listed as late 1round but ive seen other lists where hes not listed in the top 32. So maybe he’s close to Canucks 2nd pick at 41.

im sure theres probably better options at the 41 spot but he is a much needed Rt Dman.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

2nd Round Right Dman maybe?

I seen Morrow listed as late 1round but ive seen other lists where hes not listed in the top 32. So maybe he’s close to Canucks 2nd pick at 41.

im sure theres probably better options at the 41 spot but he is a much needed Rt Dman.

RHD are hard to come by so I see him going in the bottom of the 1rst round. If he makes it to our 2nd round pick he very well could be the BPA.

• Cheers 1