The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Zach Dean has definitely caught my eye with his skating. So smooth and naturally speedy, all he needs to do is fine tune his offensive thought process. Just the little things. I feel like his mind is a step behind his actual footspeed. But if he's able to put the whole package together, he could be one of the most gifted skaters in this draft...

Very, very fast.

20 hours ago, R3aL said:

Stankoven on a goal streak / heater would be lots of fun!

well I think you nailed ehlers tbh he would have been a great pick for us.

i remember I was huge on Nick Ritchie and Nylander wasn’t so keen on ehlers but I was wrong.

ya Holtby would just be a dream it seems now. Lind seems to be the most desirable. Be nice if we could protect him. to Try and force them taking someone with salary implications .

Well I look forward to seeing how stankoven turns out and where he goes in the draft! Thanks for sharing mate 

Honestly, in a perfect world, Pearson would be exposed. He would be another guy the Kraken have their eyes on, for sure. However, I believe there's something in his contract that stated he wouldn't be exposed to Seattle. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Honestly, in a perfect world, Pearson would be exposed. He would be another guy the Kraken have their eyes on, for sure. However, I believe there's something in his contract that stated he wouldn't be exposed to Seattle. 

They re-signed Pearson strictly for Bo. I don't get it, but whatever makes the captain happy.  

2nd Round Right Dman maybe?

I seen Morrow listed as late 1round but ive seen other lists where hes not listed in the top 32. So maybe he’s close to Canucks 2nd pick at 41.

im sure theres probably better options at the 41 spot but he is a much needed Rt Dman.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

2nd Round Right Dman maybe?

I seen Morrow listed as late 1round but ive seen other lists where hes not listed in the top 32. So maybe he’s close to Canucks 2nd pick at 41.

im sure theres probably better options at the 41 spot but he is a much needed Rt Dman.

RHD are hard to come by so I see him going in the bottom of the 1rst round. If he makes it to our 2nd round pick he very well could be the BPA.

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

I really wouldn't.  

Timing of it wouldn't line up for what we need unless we're looking to inadvertently tank for another year.  Pearson is rare on our team as he can slide into the top 6 and be average, but also be a winger on a shutdown line.  We just don't have that on our team right now.  Of course we have Podkolzin coming in, and Hoglander is well on his way there...  but Boeser and Elias/JT Miller just aren't there when it comes to being a matchup line.  

If we eventually get to the point where upgrading on Pearson is our next move, then it would mean that we're on the cusp of being a contender.  I get not wanting to lose Lind/Gadjovich/MacEwen though if that's what you mean?  As far as saving his cap hit of 3.25 mil I really don't think it's worth it. 

• Hydration 2

6 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Honestly if the only option of the top 9 left is evidinsson I say just take a big swing on raty

Agreed...  for me Johnson, Edvinsson and MacTavish are second tier prospects (outside of the top 6-7) and I really wouldn't mind seeing Benning trade down and get an extra 2nd/3rd rounder. 

12 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah it is weird seeing them...  but even though those two guys were important, Benning is still the one that runs the show.  I'm sure that some of the newer guys like Ryan Biech for example will have a louder voice and new scouts will step up.  

They will probably release something again.  This is the one from last year. 

It's interesting if you listen to what Benning says at the end of this feature.  He says that the team looks for smart players who can skate.  Todd Harvey, just before Benning, says that he looks for players who can "compete".  These seem to be the three attributes they value the most in players they look to draft or acquire now.  Of course they want skill, and size helps too. But if you're trying to predict who they will draft, as Benning and Harvey tell us, high hockey IQ, good skating and high compete level are the three factors they value the most. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Agreed...  for me Johnson, Edvinsson and MacTavish are second tier prospects (outside of the top 6-7) and I really wouldn't mind seeing Benning trade down and get an extra 2nd/3rd rounder. 

I don't think I'd put MacTavish in that second tier.  He did manage to score 29 goals in just 57 games as a rookie in the OHL (hence why the Hockey News lists Toffoli as his 'best case' comparison), he was third in scoring for Canada at the 2021 World U18s and was apparently fairly dominant playing against men in the Swiss Div 2 league this winter.  Some seem to view him as being only big and physically dominant, but it seems to me that he is those things in addition to being a very skilled player (especially at goal scoring).

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

23 hours ago, Isam said:

Still hoping for martin in the fourth. That guy is a zone exit machine

4th? Don’t think we have a pick in the 4th, but maybe I misunderstood you?

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

He will be gone in the 2nd latest 3rd but that's pretty wishful. 

Cheers Hammer.

Probably, it was more the fact, I don't think we have a 4th round pick... unless I'm mistaken.

14 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Ya don’t think he will be exposed I think he fits in okay money wise and roster wise personally 

• Hydration 2

On 6/6/2021 at 6:37 AM, Isam said:

His positioning is good but not world class man.  He tends to overangle on shots leaving agood chunk of the net wide open. This was pretty evident during the playoffs vs skelleftea. His lateral movement is also vry slow. However, he can track the puck well and he is scary good at handling the puck. 

His positioning and technique are his best assets and are definitely world class given his age. 

23 hours ago, Isam said:

Guenther is a better forward then what people on here are giving him credit for. His overall body of work has established that. Problem is recency bias and one tourney might devalue him and raise up someone like cuelmans who had a great u18 which is allowing alot of people to ignore alot of problems he has had with brooks in the ajhl.

Absolutely. Ceulemans has some for real issues on defense that were covered up by Canada's team defense. And Guenther's skill level and IQ are way higher than people here give credit him for.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Johnson for sure is second tier.  He’s got some red flags, right?  Edvinson and Mac T (I hope we get this guy so we can call him that; it’s cool - Mac T) I think both have less risk than Johnson.  I’d say there are three tiers in the top 10.  Johnson is in tier three, while those other two are kind of tier two.  

• Hydration 1

4 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Absolutely. Ceulemans has some for real issues on defense that were covered up by Canada's team defense. And Guenther's skill level and IQ are way higher than people here give credit him for.

Benning was at the U18’s, so he might give that performance added value.  

• Hydration 1

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

The player expected to have the highest in trade value coming out of their ELC?  

I assume this is some kind of sarcasm, but it's actually a far better conceptualization of BPA than 95% of fans have.