The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 hour ago, RecklessReilly said:

I want Oscar Plandowski at some point in this drat. He is RHD who skates like the wind, shoots hard, plays good in his own end and on transition. He even fights to stand up for teammates. Also has NHL bloodlines and power skating coach for a mother. 

Sound like someone who should be a high pick, never heard of him before you mentioned it. Just looking at his stats: 6ft 190lbs RHD, all acceptable and his whole family has the hockey bloodline so that is encouraging. His 17pts in 39gp is not a jump out at you stat line, seems to be ranked between 60-94 so maybe we can grab him with our 3rd round pick?

9 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Sound like someone who should be a high pick, never heard of him before you mentioned it. Just looking at his stats: 6ft 190lbs RHD, all acceptable and his whole family has the hockey bloodline so that is encouraging. His 17pts in 39gp is not a jump out at you stat line, seems to be ranked between 60-94 so maybe we can grab him with our 3rd round pick?

Yeah exactly my thinking. 3rd maybe even a 2nd. Who knows how to rank these guys lol

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

We're spending a lot of time on who we'd each like to pick... who do we want to avoid if we're picking a F? I'm wondering if there's any kind of pattern that says "stay away" for a top 10 for us this year?

Top 10 WHL F picks:

2014- misses: Virtanen, WHL but big hits in Reinhart and Draisaitl

2015- no WHL F's

2016 - no WHL Fs

2017- NolanPatrick, Glass, WHL big misses 

2018- no WHL Fs'

2019 - WHL - Dach and Cozens - look legit

2020 - no WHL F's 

What is it with the WHL and top 10 forwards? seems like its the odd big hit, some big disappointments and a lot of avoidance 

It runs in cycles jimmy. Thing is with the new hockey academies, the dub could become the new mecca for forwards. We are just seeing it now with savoie bedard, and geekie

• Vintage 1

I'm no scouting expert and mostly just see point totals and stats. However, I've found we've drafted best when there were solid numbers behind the players we draft in the first round. Pettersson literally had unprecedented number for the Allvenskan when he was drafted. Hughes was about .75 ppg as a dman in the NCAA against men. It rare to have pre-draft players in the NCAA to begin with but Hughes was doing it and succeeding. Brock Boeser had the second highest point totals in the USHL his draft year (Kyle Connor was first). 

We've done poorly on players with poorer numbers in their draft year. Virtanen was only a ppg in the WHL pre-draft. In comparison, Guenter had about double his ppg. Joulevi only had a .75ppg in the OHL. Clarke and Lambos accomplished that in their D-2 season. It's just something I've noticed with our drafting. 

Edited by AK_19
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Lack of farm boys?  Not too sure, but thinking (okay, guessing) the Junior A leagues have taken some of the top end skilled guys, who then go on to US college hockey.  So the WHL is a bit thinner than before, and wingers can use their superior size, strength to dominate play instead of developing their skill. 

It is the same thing eith ontario and quebec. Nothing wrong with it. Like ushl hockey

30 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, if Jack Bar gets to the 3rd round and is there when we pick, I would love Benning to take a flyer on him.

Jack Bar - 2021 NHL Draft Prospect Profile (thehockeywriters.com)

Harvard bound next year..........sound familiar? 

He is my not so dark horse.

Haven't heard of him up till now. Looks like an intriguing prospect though! Would be an excellent candidate for our 2nd rounder.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Haven't heard of him up till now. Looks like an intriguing prospect though! Would be an excellent candidate for our 2nd rounder.

To be honest Herberts, I honestly would like to do a all-in on our 1st 3 picks on RHD.

I was talking to my son tonight and he mentioned a couple of players near the 9th OA, and I asked him, where are we really short on prospects for the future? I mentioned all the prospects and young guns on the team already, and said where do we really need them. We both came up with the same conclusion. I also asked him, when he thought we might have another chance to get quality in all rounds? Again, our conclusion was that if Benning goes after players this year, this might be the last chance we have to draft this early.

9th OA.................Move up for Clarke, move down for Ceulemans

41st OA.............. Move up for Morrow or Heimosalmi, or take Mailloux or Schmidt at 41 OA

73rd OA............. .Move up for Bar

IMO, there is lots of talent there, and it is Benning's job to go out and get it.

I would have no problem moving a RWer, Lind or McEwen

It will take a 2021 -1st 9th OA + a 2022 - 2nd to acquire the 2021 - 4th  OA...........I feel this is the best option to get Clarke.....but regardless that is what it will take

I am thinking that Mailloux or Schmidt will be there at 41 OA

and I think Bar could be there with Lind

IMO, we need to go after our RHD, as we have left it to the last minute

Of course there are other ways.......I wish with all my heart that Green would have tried Hughes on the RHD side, because there are alot of options if he could handle that.

It is always about balance............................

Options................IF Hughes can play RHD well enough

If we could get Graves from Colorado..trade ?????? Before the expansion draft

Graves....Hughes

Rathbone.....Schmidt

Juolevi......Myers

If we  drafted Lambos, who is a solid defensive Dman

Lambos..... Hughes

Rathbone....Schmidt

Juolevi...Myers

And alot of other different moves if Hughes moves over

But if he doesn't, what is the cost? 

Someone mentioned trading for Jacob Larsson out of Anahiem

Someone else mentioned trading for Seth Jones out of Columbus

Someone mentioned trade for Rasmus Ristolainen out of Buffalo

Someone has mentioned UFA  Adam Larsson out of Edmonton

Someone mentioned UFA Dougie Hamilton out of Carolina

So there are options.......................short term anyways, lol

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

To be honest Herberts, I honestly would like to do a all-in on our 1st 3 picks on RHD.

IMO, we need to go after our RHD, as we have left it to the last minute

I haven’t seen you mention Travis Hamonic and Jett Woo... 

However I wouldn’t be opposed to taking swings at RHD with our 3rd and later round picks.  It would take multiple 2nds to move up from 9th overall to 4th overall. That’s a pricey move and Clarke could very well go 2nd or 3rd overall.  

We’ll see but I do hope that we get at least two RHDmen in this draft. 

57 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I haven’t seen you mention Travis Hamonic and Jett Woo... 

However I wouldn’t be opposed to taking swings at RHD with our 3rd and later round picks.  It would take multiple 2nds to move up from 9th overall to 4th overall. That’s a pricey move and Clarke could very well go 2nd or 3rd overall.  

We’ll see but I do hope that we get at least two RHDmen in this draft. 

If we cant draft clarke we should just take mctavish and use our 2nd and 3rd to draft RHD

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, RecklessReilly said:

I want Oscar Plandowski at some point in this drat. He is RHD who skates like the wind, shoots hard, plays good in his own end and on transition. He even fights to stand up for teammates. Also has NHL bloodlines and power skating coach for a mother. 

You had me at Plandowski ::D

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If we cant draft clarke we should just take mctavish and use our 2nd and 3rd to draft RHD

Certainly,

The 9th overall is a player we may not see for 1-3 years anyway and who knows what he needs are then so BPA is always the best choice in my books for the first round.

Given that the 'nucks are drafting an early second there still may be some slipped talent there as well so I am still in a BPA position for the second round as well but if a good RHD is within reach then take him for sure.

• Like 1

something i just thought about. Detroit need a goalie but may not want to use a high pick on one. Why not look at michael Dipetro on our end? 

To Us:

6th overall, Michael Rasmussen 

to Det:

9th overall, Michael Dipetro, 2022 4th round pick 

with pick 9 we get either Johnson, Clarke or Hughes.

Michael Rasmussen would be a great 3rd line center and be cheap cap wise. 

with having Demko we should be fine in net for  awhile. just have to sign decent back up goalies. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Certainly,

The 9th overall is a player we may not see for 1-3 years anyway and who knows what he needs are then so BPA is always the best choice in my books for the first round.

Given that the 'nucks are drafting an early second there still may be some slipped talent there as well so I am still in a BPA position for the second round as well but if a good RHD is within reach then take him for sure.

I always feel BPA is the way to go in the first round no matter what. The ability of the Canucks scouts to find talent in the 2nd, 3rd and later rounds is something I have confidence in and I think this could be especially true in a year when many players played less than 25 games and there will be talent that gets missed. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

I always feel BPA is the way to go in the first round no matter what. The ability of the Canucks scouts to find talent in the 2nd, 3rd and later rounds is something I have confidence in and I think this could be especially true in a year when many players played less than 25 games and there will be talent that gets missed. 

I feel top 10-12 you consider BPA, but pick for need as those players will be ready and in the lineup in a year or two.

On 6/7/2021 at 11:38 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

its what worries me about Guenther... is he just looking good due to lesser competition? 

I think this is a fair assessment I mean it is very good that he is able to do what he does. You have to respect 2PPG in the DUB however I found myself a bit unconvinced at the U18. Where I had doubt's going into so could just be confirmation bias on my part however I was more excited to see him prove himself than disprove himself as a guy who when games get competitive can drive play. Don't get me wrong he didn't play terribly he just didn't drive the play much for a guy that you really want to see that power fwd upside from. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1