The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Logan Mailloux is a guy the Canucks should look at with their second round pick. 6'3" 217lbs RD who will likely play for the London Knight next year and just turned 18. Played on a third tier pro team in Sweden this year and put up good numbers.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think this is a fair assessment I mean it is very good that he is able to do what he does. You have to respect 2PPG in the DUB however I found myself a bit unconvinced at the U18. Where I had doubt's going into so could just be confirmation bias on my part however I was more excited to see him prove himself than disprove himself as a guy who when games get competitive can drive play. Don't get me wrong he didn't play terribly he just didn't drive the play much for a guy that you really want to see that power fwd upside from. 

this years Virtanen?

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

48 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Logan Mailloux is a guy the Canucks should look at with their second round pick. 6'3" 217lbs RD who will likely play for the London Knight next year and just turned 18. Played on a third tier pro team in Sweden this year and put up good numbers.  

Second rpund is likely too early for what sounds like a bit of an unknown talent. 

They will likely still have some first round talent hanging around to choose from when they pick second.

Edited by GarthButcher5

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Interesting take on the presumptive top 5 by Seattle pundits...

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting, not very high on Hughes thats for sure.

Yeah, that's my biggest worry is he's getting some serious name recognition.

this years Virtanen?

Guenther is not a powerforward.He’s more of a skilled and well-balanced offensive forward that is far from a slouch in his own end.  Very dangerous player in transition and not the type of guy you want in alone. He has a knack for finding those dangerous areas when he’s without the puck and he has good enough vision to dish it out. 

He added 20 pounds from the prior season without losing any of his deceptive speed. 

Reason why he’s ranked so high is because he has the potential to be a jack of all trades high point producing skilled two-way forward. 

Dylan Guenther's Player Profile

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - May 24th: "He may look wiry, but this dual-threat from the flank is an excellent penalty killer who also plays with snarl."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - May 12th: "Thinks the game at a high level and is constantly utilizing all resources to improve his game. While offence is what jumps out, the proficiency in his game extends the length of the ice."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Apr. 23rd: "Guenther is a highly skilled, elite goal scorer who is quick on his skates."

Jameson Ewasiuk - Dobber Prospects - Mar. 8: "Guenther is a swift skating offensive forward who is a threat off the rush but is also lethal on the power play due to the quick release on his shot as well as his ability to get the puck to players in high danger scoring areas."

If he’s there at 9th you take him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

this years Virtanen?

I don't think they are comparable if I was picking solely off of raw skills (god given abilities) then I'd pick Virtanen. Though from what I have seen of Guenther there are waaay better odds he becomes an NHL player than odds on Virtanen playing another NHL game. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Guenther is not a powerforward.He’s more of a skilled and well-balanced offensive forward that is far from a slouch in his own end.  Very dangerous player in transition and not the type of guy you want in alone. He has a knack for finding those dangerous areas when he’s without the puck and he has good enough vision to dish it out. 

He added 20 pounds from the prior season without losing any of his deceptive speed. 

Reason why he’s ranked so high is because he has the potential to be a jack of all trades high point producing skilled two-way forward. 

Dylan Guenther's Player Profile

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - May 24th: "He may look wiry, but this dual-threat from the flank is an excellent penalty killer who also plays with snarl."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - May 12th: "Thinks the game at a high level and is constantly utilizing all resources to improve his game. While offence is what jumps out, the proficiency in his game extends the length of the ice."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Apr. 23rd: "Guenther is a highly skilled, elite goal scorer who is quick on his skates."

Jameson Ewasiuk - Dobber Prospects - Mar. 8: "Guenther is a swift skating offensive forward who is a threat off the rush but is also lethal on the power play due to the quick release on his shot as well as his ability to get the puck to players in high danger scoring areas."

If he’s there at 9th you take him. 

where this gets hard for me is, is he BPA over Hughes if they both fall to us? 

Or if both McTavish and Guenther are available, who's BPA? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

11 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Watching short but speedy and skilled Cole Caufield play well in the playoffs (hah, Mitch Marner!) makes me warm up to getting similar (imho) Fabian Lysell at 9.

Caulfield is 1" taller but 10 lbs lighter than Petrus Palmu.  I guess PP was carrying too much weight to be effective.

Lysell is 1" taller than our own Hoglander, and 9 lbs lighter, so by extrapolation (projection?), should be a superstar compared to Hogz

Edited by Googlie
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If we cant draft clarke we should just take mctavish and use our 2nd and 3rd to draft RHD

I am fine with that or we could try to trade down to maybe the mid teens grab an extra pick or 2 and maybe draft RHD Ceulmans with that later 1st? I think we should focus on the C or RHD position for this 1st round pick. A winger can be had later much easier or can be had via trad or FA signing 

For whatever reason, Guenther just hasn't impressed me all that much. I've watched multiple shift-by-shifts on him, everytime thinking "this time I will see something I like" but I never do. I want to like him, but I just don't see it. I feel like it's making me really underate him, which is likely true, and I'm just off on him for whatever reason.

And I know everyone keeps referencing his 2 PPG, but I can't help but feel it's inflated from the sample size. For instance, he was shooting at 23.5%, which for most NHL players is unsustainable. Idk what is considered average for the WHL, so maybe I'm way off in saying that. If anyone knows, please chime in.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Watching short but speedy and skilled Cole Caufield play well in the playoffs (hah, Mitch Marner!) makes me warm up to getting similar (imho) Fabian Lysell at 9.

I would like to point out Montreal also has a team full of larger body players, so they might get away with a smaller couple players because if you go after them you have: Anderson, Weber, Edmundson, Perry, Chariot, Petry, Armia and maybe some other players that will either come after you and drop the gloves or lay out you or one of your teammates as a response.

Canucks don't have the same type of bodies on our roster so having more undersized players leaves us more vulnerable to other teams taking liberties against our players

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

where this gets hard for me is, is he BPA over Hughes if they both fall to us? 

That’s tough but I probably pick Hughes. And trade one of Rathbone/OJ down the line when Luke is ready and able. If either OJ/Rathbone or miraculously both pan out we can make a trade from a position of strength to help address other roster issues. 

I have Guenther 2nd best winger after Eklund though you could argue 2nd best winger with McTavish. 

I just like Guenther’s overall toolset. He’s a very versatile player with not many(if any significant) holes in his game. A lot of scouts will say his skating is his best attribute, or his     transitional play, or his hockey sense, or his overall two-way game. They all almost say something differently. Some scouts think he has star potential. 

He’s like Power in the sense that he is good at a lot of things and doesn’t have major holes, but unlike Power nobody questions Guenther’s hockey sense.

The biggest questions I have in regards to Guenther is how good will he be? Can he drive play like the elite offensive players in this draft or like a Petey? Or will he end up like an Oshie where he’s an important part of a playoff team but not the most important.

He’s shown he’s capable of being the guy to rely on the most and sometimes he’s that 2nd or 3rd guy. 

At 9th overall you couldn’t go wrong with him or McTavish or Hughes. I could see all of them being gone before we pick though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/05/05/fabian-lysell-scouting-report/

Projection and Comparison

Lysell projects as a possible first-line winger in the NHL. His advanced defensive game and the fact that he has already been playing against men mean that he may be NHL ready quickly. However, he likely needs to spend at least one more season in Sweden, getting stronger and producing offence in the SHL. He should also be an important part of the Swedish team at next year’s World Junior Championships. Lysell’s game is reminiscent of Mitch Marner. This is a stylistic comparison only though, not one based on skill and potential.

Great skater. Great hands. Advanced D game. Hockey IQ. Playing against men.

He just needs to fill out and get stronger. May take him 1-2 years, but he is intriguing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/05/05/fabian-lysell-scouting-report/

Projection and Comparison

Lysell projects as a possible first-line winger in the NHL. His advanced defensive game and the fact that he has already been playing against men mean that he may be NHL ready quickly. However, he likely needs to spend at least one more season in Sweden, getting stronger and producing offence in the SHL. He should also be an important part of the Swedish team at next year’s World Junior Championships. Lysell’s game is reminiscent of Mitch Marner. This is a stylistic comparison only though, not one based on skill and potential.

Great skater. Great hands. Advanced D game. Hockey IQ. Playing against men.

He just needs to fill out and get stronger. May take him 1-2 years, but he is intriguing.

He is a gamble but might worth it. Huge fan of lysell. Dude is a puckhound

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Or if both McTavish and Guenther are available, who's BPA? 

That’s another tough one. I like both players. 

I feel like McTavish brings elements, more so than most, that help him step up when games matter(playoff hockey). Haven’t really seen Guenther in the playoffs other than this u18 but IMO their regular team’s playoff performance is a better judgement and McTavish has 7 points in 4 games in the playoffs playing pro hockey in Europe.

McTavish is big already at 205+ while Guenther gained 20 pounds from 2019-20 and could add more still being like 180lbs. McTavish played great at a pro level while Guenther dominated at a junior level. 

In the u18s they did connect a few times with plays.  Both guys wore letters. 

The short sample size makes it really tough to judge.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That’s tough but I probably pick Hughes. And trade one of Rathbone/OJ down the line when Luke is ready and able. If either OJ/Rathbone or miraculously both pan out we can make a trade from a position of strength to help address other roster issues. 

I have Guenther 2nd best winger after Eklund though you could argue 2nd best winger with McTavish. 

I just like Guenther’s overall toolset. He’s a very versatile player with not many(if any significant) holes in his game. A lot of scouts will say his skating is his best attribute, or his     transitional play, or his hockey sense, or his overall two-way game. They all almost say something differently. Some scouts think he has star potential. 

He’s like Power in the sense that he is good at a lot of things and doesn’t have major holes, but unlike Power nobody questions Guenther’s hockey sense.

The biggest questions I have in regards to Guenther is how good will he be? Can he drive play like the elite offensive players in this draft or like a Petey? Or will he end up like an Oshie where he’s an important part of a playoff team but not the most important.

He’s shown he’s capable of being the guy to rely on the most and sometimes he’s that 2nd or 3rd guy. 

At 9th overall you couldn’t go wrong with him or McTavish or Hughes. I could see all of them being gone before we pick though. 

I wonder if Hughes actually is the most likely to fall to us, given his lack of playing time this year? 

Its actually turning into a pretty interesting draft for us, we could walk away with a great player at 9. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2