The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if Hughes actually is the most likely to fall to us, given his lack of playing time this year? 

Its actually turning into a pretty interesting draft for us, we could walk away with a great player at 9. 

I dont see Hughes falling pass 8. LA needs D

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if Hughes actually is the most likely to fall to us, given his lack of playing time this year? 

Its actually turning into a pretty interesting draft for us, we could walk away with a great player at 9. 

Only team that could really use Wallstedt ahead of us is SJS but the Sharks could use anything, their prospect pool is barren. 

McTavish could go top 8. 

Quite a few teams ahead of us need D more than FWDs or G.

Sabres will likely draft Powers. 

Kings don’t have any blue chips at D. They have a G of the future(as per reports) in Petersen and a bunch or blue chip forwards. 

Ducks could use another blue chipper at D with Drysdale and at 3rd overall they’ll have potentially 3 D to choose from. They have Dostal as a good goalie prospect and a few good young forward prospects. 

DET could potentially use a goalie but they have another 1st that could be used on Cossa who’s also pretty good. If Petruzzelli(a top G prospect they have in College) signs then goaltending isn’t much of an issue for them. At 6th overall they are gonna get one of the better forwards or D to choose from. 

With Jones wanting to leave CBJ they could consider looking at one of the D. With Werenski still being young it would make a lot of sense. CBJ does tend to go ‘off-the-board’ so you never know. 

So it’s hard to imagine any of the D falling but it would be nice and you never know in the draft. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

The dream scenario is 

Getting to pick Clarke or Hughes at 9. 

Not for me. Clarke or McTavish is a coin toss for me now. Personally think theres a lot of good RHD we can get in the second  round or third. McT is growing on me more and more now. Seems like the absolute perfect 3C for this team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Not for me. Clarke or McTavish is a coin toss for me now. Personally think theres a lot of good RHD we can get in the second  round or third. McT is growing on me more and more now. Seems like the absolute perfect 3C for this team.

Theres a good chance we take McTavish I think. Im kinda hoping for teams ahead of us to pick McTavish, Guenther, Johnson, and Wallestedt so we get Clarke or Hughes 

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That’s tough but I probably pick Hughes. And trade one of Rathbone/OJ down the line when Luke is ready and able. If either OJ/Rathbone or miraculously both pan out we can make a trade from a position of strength to help address other roster issues. 

I have Guenther 2nd best winger after Eklund though you could argue 2nd best winger with McTavish. 

I just like Guenther’s overall toolset. He’s a very versatile player with not many(if any significant) holes in his game. A lot of scouts will say his skating is his best attribute, or his     transitional play, or his hockey sense, or his overall two-way game. They all almost say something differently. Some scouts think he has star potential. 

He’s like Power in the sense that he is good at a lot of things and doesn’t have major holes, but unlike Power nobody questions Guenther’s hockey sense.

The biggest questions I have in regards to Guenther is how good will he be? Can he drive play like the elite offensive players in this draft or like a Petey? Or will he end up like an Oshie where he’s an important part of a playoff team but not the most important.

He’s shown he’s capable of being the guy to rely on the most and sometimes he’s that 2nd or 3rd guy. 

At 9th overall you couldn’t go wrong with him or McTavish or Hughes. I could see all of them being gone before we pick though. 

ugh, no.  Hugely overrated, imo.  I can see him easily falling out of the top 10.........an above average offensive dman who can't play defense.  

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

ugh, no.  Hugely overrated, imo.  I can see him easily falling out of the top 10.........an above average offensive dman who can't play defense.  

Luke isn’t afraid to play physically and is an aggressive defender, sometimes overly, which can get him in trouble.  A lot of scouts feel his issues defensively are very coachable and that there’s potential to be a top pairing two-way D. 

It should be mentioned that despite being left handed, Luke is more than comfortable on the right side. 

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - May 24th: "The answer is yes, Luke is just as dynamic a skater and playmaker as his brother Quinn, except the younger Hughes is bigger and a step or two ahead of his eldest sibling in the defense category."

Hughes has been able to distinguish himself playing the right side on the top pairing with Aidan Hreschuk, in addition to serving as the primary power-play quarterback and as a penalty killer.

Luke has the bigger frame and he certainly knows how to use it, but he also has the occasional mean streak where he’ll muscle up on an opponent along the boards. Additionally, Luke plays very close to his line and will hold firm against the quickest of onrushing puck carriers, using his long reach and an effective stick-on-puck technique.

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - May 12th: "Skating and puck skills show top-pairing potential. Size (6-foot-2, 176 pounds) is an asset with his evolving defensive side."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Apr. 23rd: "Hughes is a great skater capable of playing a smart defensive game with good poise and reads. The 17-year-old sustained a lacerated tendon in his foot from a skate cut March 7, but is hoping to resume skating in late May."

I doubt he falls to 9th. Almost all the mocks have him top 10 with a good lot of them in the top 5. If he falls LA will definitely not pass him up unless maybe Clarke is still there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As much as we need, and I want, to add to our D, I'm just not sure the numbers will work out for one of them to drop to us. I feel we have a realistic opportunity to address a lesser, but also very necessary need, which is speed and skill. I would love to see Lysell and Samoskevich come to us with our 1st and 2nd. These guys absolutely BUZZ around the ice, and combining them with Podkolzin, Hoglander, Horvat, Miller, Petey, Motte etc. will make us such a difficult team to keep up with. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Pearson, and even Boeser (though he showed nice improvement this year with his skating) lumber around the ice can be painful. Rolling out three lines of speed and skill will be brutal on opposing teams. Watching the Tampa Carolina series really opens your eyes to the speed of these juggernaut teams.

Neither of these players numbers pop off the page, but watching them, the skill is so evident. In Lysell's case, deployment and some puck luck would really help his case. Samoskevich was on fire to start the year, then got injured, and had his role changed after returning, where he was shifted to the wing and removed from PP1, which skews his numbers. Both of these guys also show a great willingness on the defensive side of the puck as well. No they aren't big, but in the same vein as Hoglander, they don't seem to play small.

I know this isn't the most balanced approach, but the more I think about it, the more I want to see it lol.

Edited by Sp3nny

At this point I have zero preference but do have faith in the scouting staff. Said we have a clear top 9 who they like so they will probably only get one or possibly 2 options.  I’m fully on board if they also choose the next Carey Price as well. Having a cost controlled elite Goalie is priceless;) and can win series almost all by themselves. 

bring on the Draft!!

5 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

As much as we need, and I want, to add to our D, I'm just not sure the numbers will work out for one of them to drop to us. I feel we have a realistic opportunity to address a lesser, but also very necessary need, which is speed and skill. I would love to see Lysell and Samoskevich come to us with our 1st and 2nd. These guys absolutely BUZZ around the ice, and combining them with Podkolzin, Hoglander, Horvat, Miller, Petey, Motte etc. will make us such a difficult team to keep up with. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Pearson, and even Boeser (though he showed nice improvement this year with his skating) lumber around the ice can be painful. Rolling out three lines of speed and skill will be brutal on opposing teams. Watching the Tampa Carolina series really opens your eyes to the speed of these juggernaut teams.

Neither of these players numbers pop off the page, but watching them, the skill is so evident. In Lysell's case, deployment and some puck luck would really help his case. Samoskevich was on fire to start the year, then got injured, and had his role changed after returning, where he was shifted to the wing and removed from PP1, which skews his numbers. Both of these guys also show a great willingness on the defensive side of the puck as well. No they aren't big, but in the same vein as Hoglander, they don't seem to play small.

I know this isn't the most balanced approach, but the more I think about it, the more I want to see it lol.

I think 9OA you go BPA no matter what.

Whether it's Johnson, McTavish, Lysell or whoever.

The 2nd pick you can lean more into organizational need and target a defencemen there but if there is a faller like hogslander than I'm in!

And the latter rounds is typically a mixture of high risk skill guys and low risk role players.

I like Lysell too but his ranking seems to be oddly varied. This draft will be insane to see where these kids will go.

I think we will be picking one of McTavish, Johnson, Sillinger or Svechkov with our 1st, because Benning loves 200 ft players, and offense and speed. (McTavish is the slowest of the 4)

But Benning really has to focus on RH Defense with our next 2 picks......has too!

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think we will be picking one of McTavish, Johnson, Sillinger or Svechkov with our 1st, because Benning loves 200 ft players, and offense and speed. (McTavish is the slowest of the 4)

But Benning really has to focus on RH Defense with our next 2 picks......has too!

Im comfortable of any of those picks to start playing immediately as a 4th line C(hopefully mcT).

Time to put on the big boy pants and jump right in.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Only team that could really use Wallstedt ahead of us is SJS but the Sharks could use anything, their prospect pool is barren. 

McTavish could go top 8. 

Quite a few teams ahead of us need D more than FWDs or G.

Sabres will likely draft Powers. 

Kings don’t have any blue chips at D. They have a G of the future(as per reports) in Petersen and a bunch or blue chip forwards. 

Ducks could use another blue chipper at D with Drysdale and at 3rd overall they’ll have potentially 3 D to choose from. They have Dostal as a good goalie prospect and a few good young forward prospects. 

DET could potentially use a goalie but they have another 1st that could be used on Cossa who’s also pretty good. If Petruzzelli(a top G prospect they have in College) signs then goaltending isn’t much of an issue for them. At 6th overall they are gonna get one of the better forwards or D to choose from. 

With Jones wanting to leave CBJ they could consider looking at one of the D. With Werenski still being young it would make a lot of sense. CBJ does tend to go ‘off-the-board’ so you never know. 

So it’s hard to imagine any of the D falling but it would be nice and you never know in the draft. 

ahh very good points. And thats all fine by me, there are a number of guys I'd prefer ahead of Hughes for us. Mainly because I like our left side potential as it is, and we really need bigger skilled bodies in the top 9. Or a stud RHD but I don't expect Clarke to fall to us either. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

I hope if we pick a F it ends up being a C. Easier to move a C to wing down the road if you have too many. Again pull a TB, Stamkos getting older and he slides to the wing allowing younger players who are faster to take over C ice Duties.

Canucks area of need is basically at every position, the least are of concern is G and LHD imo. use most picks this year for C and RHD early and maybe go for a winger late in the draft as it is a crab shoot at that point anyway. Then bring a more balance approach to next years draft. Gives our current prospects another year to show what they have to offer and give the team a better idea on a couple of them if they can become an NHLer or not. 

18 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Second rpund is likely too early for what sounds like a bit of an unknown talent. 

They will likely still have some first round talent hanging around to choose from when they pick second.

That depends RD's could be a hot commodity at the draft, if im not mistaken we draft like 40th OV in the second round. Mailloux is ranked 45 on Bob Mckenzie's list so not a huge reach. Not likely to be a top 3 Dman but could be an very effective bottom three Dman that brings much needed physicality. Will likely be around 6'4" 225-230 if plays in the NHL (Shea Weber size). 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, bruceybruce said:

What about trading our first round pick (#9 overall) for Columbus blue jackets (#25 via Toronto) (#30 via Tampa Bay) and

Andrew Peeke
Defense -- shoots R
Born Mar 17 1998 -- Parkland, FL
[23 yrs. ago]
Height 6.03 -- Weight 197 [191 cm/89 kg]

Is this fair?

And then with one of those two later first pick Scott Morrow.  He’s another bigger and skilled RSD.  

Just now, bruceybruce said:

Is there a chance that Corson Ceulemans drops to #25? That would make it a steal.

I don’t think so, but image your trade idea plus getting Ceulemans at 25 and Morrow at 30.  Three big, skilled RSD.  

• Upvote 1