2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

11 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, that is it, isn't it!

That was my little exercise.

So here is what I came up with.

1. Buffalo, will take Power, although I think they should take Beniers

2. Seattle will take Benier, because he is the 2nd best player in the draft

3. Anahiem, ah Anahiem! Like I said they will either take a LHD or RW, so either Guenther or Hughes or Edvinsson........

4. New Jersey will take Clarke if he is there......100%

So we either get ahead of New Jersey, or pick a center. And if we are not getting a #1 RHD, then when?

To go from 9th to 3rd, will cost 2 of Lind, Gadjovich, McEwen, DiPietro, and our 2022-2nd, you can add Virtanen into that if he is innocent.(Like I said 2)

I would do that in a New York minute.....it is an easy move for me.

IMO, we will not have this opportunity again for a long time.

Luke has been playing RD... And the marketing opportunities of having 2 Hughes could sway that. Never mind a lot of scouts having Hughes ahead of Clarke. Could see NJD taking Hughes there in your mock.

CBJ needs everything so who knows but if he makes it there, or to DET...I think that's our sweet spot for a potential trade. And moving from 9 to 5 or 6 shouldn't be to cost prohibitive.

That said, I'm fine just taking 9th OA, seeing who's there and shooting for RD later, trying to trade for one, waiting until '22 UFA etc. We don't need to force it.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Luke has been playing RD... And the marketing opportunities of having 2 Hughes could sway that. Never mind a lot of scouts having Hughes ahead of Clarke. Could see NJD taking Hughes there in your mock.

CBJ needs everything so who knows but if he makes it there, or to DET...I think that's our sweet spot for a potential trade. And moving from 9 to 5 or 6 shouldn't be to cost prohibitive.

That said, I'm fine just taking 9th OA, seeing who's there and shooting for RD later, trying to trade for one, waiting until '22 UFA etc. We don't need to force it.

if we could find a way of nabbing another 2nd round pick  that gives us two cracks at a potential RHD as well. 

teams rarely move up in the draft, I don't expect we will be able to, we just don't have the assets to burn to do it. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if we could find a way of nabbing another 2nd round pick  that gives us two cracks at a potential RHD as well. 

teams rarely move up in the draft, I don't expect we will be able to, we just don't have the assets to burn to do it. 

Yeah, it's unlikely. But if there's a small possibility, it's there at 5/6 IMO. 

This draft is also different than most... Could mean more movement than usual as well (or not :lol:).

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think we could get another second rounder if we trade down a few spots with our first.  Maybe 9OA for 14OA + 46OA, or something similar? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we could get another second rounder if we trade down a few spots with our first.  Maybe 9OA for 14OA + 46OA, or something similar? 

This is what Benning needs to try and do. There may be very little difference between #9 and #14, but the Canucks need more picks in the first 3 rounds.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Cap space?

agreed, even if we walk away from edler, sutter and a few others; buy out virtanen and roussel and have louie retiring after his bonus is paid, we will still be hard pressed to hit our cap.  we need to play guys like lind, rathbone, highmore, juolevi, graovac and lockwood to just come out at the cap. unless they trade a big contract. buy outs will still cost them money, beagle could still come back and play next year.  the flat cap due to covid and the luongo recapture penalty has really hurt our position.  i can't make it work, maybe jan can.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

No way that gets us from #9 to #3. More like: Boeser, 1st (2022) and Rathbone

Maybe somewhere in the middle between both of you, Boeser + our 1st could easily move us up 6 spots in a draft where the difference in the top 9 players is fairly minimal. They would take that and run. 

8 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Just curious, which wingers would you like to see the Canucks target?

As far as guys that might still be on the board, Guenther, Sillinger and Lysell really jump out for me. 

I've been very vocal about Lysell, but Guenther would be a good get too. Not too sure about Sillinger though. I don't know enough about him to pass judgement. 

To me, Lysell's ceiling could be pretty close to a guy like Oliver Bjorkstrand on Columbus. Maybe more of a playmaker than Bjorkstrand (who's probably the better scorer), and more "dog on bone" than Bjorkstrand. Hounds the puck ala the way Costmar did in the World Juniors. His waterbug skating style reminds me of Caufield somewhat. He has so many unique tools that would make him a welcome to our top-6, and would at the very least have zero problem finding a role in our top-9. I'm totally sold on him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

CBJ is forever needing a #1C.  I think they'll try to get Beniers.  If he's taken, they'll probably go for McTavish (recency bias).

Just now, BPA said:

CBJ is forever needing a #1C.  I think they'll try to get Beniers.  If he's taken, they'll probably go for McTavish (recency bias).

McTavish seems a bit of a reach at 5... But who the hell knows with this draft? :lol: Maybe they'd be comfortable moving down to 9 though in that case...?

It's going to be an interesting draft!

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

McTavish seems a bit of a reach at 5... But who the hell knows with this draft? :lol: Maybe they'd be comfortable moving down to 9 though in that case...?

It's going to be an interesting draft!

From what I read, not much difference in the Tier 2 players.  So from 5th to 9th is a mere 4 spots.  I think CBJ is desperate for a #1C.  They just traded away PLD.  So thinking they want a C in this draft.  Unless they can net a #1C in free agency or through a Jones trade.

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

From what I read, not much difference in the Tier 2 players.  So from 5th to 9th is a mere 4 spots.  I think CBJ is desperate for a #1C.  They just traded away PLD.  So thinking they want a C in this draft.  Unless they can net a #1C in free agency or through a Jones trade.

If I was them I'd probably take one of Edvinsson/Hughes/Clarke and trade Jones for the C. 

They'll still have Werenski.

Edited by aGENT

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

For sure but it seems like Jim likes someone at 9. I want to trade Lind for TOs 2nd.

• Like 1