The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Just now, theo5789 said:

His floor is probably a 3rd liner. He could just as easily be a dynamic two way first line center. Could have chemistry with Podkolzin for the Russian connection, but also be skilled enough to play alongside the likes on Petey (if he can't get his faceoff game going and is bumped to wing).

A lot of those skilled offensive guys could be top 6 players, but they also could be complete duds if not given the offensive opportunity (they would have to earn it). I would think McTavish is more likely to be a 3rd liner and yet many on here would welcome him. I just think Svechkov in comparison gives up some physicality, but has higher offensive upside than McTavish.

Don’t think Benning risks going off the board that much.

A higher rated player will fall.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think we make that pick unless we trade down.

Too much chance he ends up being a third liner.

Most projected Bo to be a 3rd liner. IMO a hard nosed checking 30-40 point 3c is more valuable than an average 2nd line winger.  

Just now, DeNiro said:

Don’t think Benning risks going off the board that much.

A higher rated player will fall.

Was just answering the question with the list of players provided. Certainly if a higher rated player falls, then I would consider that player instead. Svechkov isn't a huge reach either IMO. There's a reason why one of the top KHL teams (SKA, Podkolzin's previous team) paid big money to get him to play for their squad next season. Plus he's been playing in the "AHL" men's league for the majority of the year already and could be in the KHL by next season.

We went "off the board" with Petey and it works out fine. However, I wouldn't be opposed to trading down and gaining an extra asset plus Svechkov if available.

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Most projected Bo to be a 3rd liner. IMO a hard nosed checking 30-40 point 3c is more valuable than an average 2nd line winger.  

We’re looking for top line players with the 9th though.

There will be first line talent available, that’s who we’ll go with if we don’t take a D.

22 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Was just answering the question with the list of players provided. Certainly if a higher rated player falls, then I would consider that player instead. Svechkov isn't a huge reach either IMO. There's a reason why one of the top KHL teams (SKA, Podkolzin's previous team) paid big money to get him to play for their squad next season. Plus he's been playing in the "AHL" men's league for the majority of the year already and could be in the KHL by next season.

We went "off the board" with Petey and it works out fine. However, I wouldn't be opposed to trading down and gaining an extra asset plus Svechkov if available.

Petey and Sveckov are not comparable.

Petey may have been ranked lower than 5th but he was always considered a first line or bust type of player.

Edited by DeNiro

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Size does still matter in the playoffs though. Nice that he doesnt play soft but he clearly doesn’t have the size.

What happens when we’re getting shut down by a team with big defensemen? That’s when you need a big body player to get in on the forecheck.

Look at how Colorado and Vegas’ top lines are built. All skilled players but they’re big and strong too.

Fair enough, but perhaps there are different avenues we can go down to inject size into our lineup. If we're talking about a potential McTavish selection at pick 9 then fair enough, but otherwise, I don't think we should be making this pick based on size. McTavish might be the only "heavy" player available to us that's slotted to go in the top 3-10. Edvinsson perhaps, but I don't think he'll make it to pick 9. 

I just think that Lysell brings an excellent combination of things that would make him fit like a glove in our top-6 in the future (plays in your face, right-handed, playmaker, etc.). Even Pettersson doesn't play "soft". And a guy like Boeser is very strong on the puck and has drastically improved his game on the walls, Bo is an Ox, Hoglander is what we all know him as, and Podkolzin... he is a bear/lion/Russian general. Once Petey fills out some more (which he inevitably will), Hoglander and Lysell would be our only players stature-wise that would be "undersized". But would you call Marchand undersized? Technically yes because he's only 5'9, but he's probably been the best playoff performer in the NHL over the last few years.

You're right though - it wouldn't hurt to add a little more size. But that can be said for our bottom-6 and our defence too. As far as our top-6 goes, I think there's already a decent balance of size (factoring Podkolzin (even if he starts in the bottom-6). Sure, we don't have a Jordan Greenway or a Tom Wilson, but only two teams in the league do. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Petey and Sveckov are not comparable.

Petey may have been ranked lower than 5th but he was always conspired a first line or bust type of player.

Again, it'll depend on who's available, but given the list I was responding to, I certainly wouldn't be upset "reaching" for Svechkov.

Petey was picked at #5. This is the #9 pick. Svechkov has first line potential (in a defensively responsible center that has the offensive ability to mesh with good offensive players) and a 3rd line floor. So he may not be your prototypical high end flashy offensive first liner, but at #9, it's a perfectly reasonable option.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Again, it'll depend on who's available, but given the list I was responding to, I certainly wouldn't be upset "reaching" for Svechkov.

Petey was picked at #5. This is the #9 pick. Svechkov has first line potential (in a defensively responsible center that has the offensive ability to mesh with good offensive players) and a 3rd line floor. So he may not be your prototypical high end flashy offensive first liner, but at #9, it's a perfectly reasonable option.

True.

But he’s a natural center no?

I don’t think he’s displacing Petey or Horvat any time soon so you would have to hope he can translate his skills to wing. Might be a waste of his talents.

I would go with the highly skilled Lysell or Johnson or with more size in Guenther. Benning would have to be very convinced in Svechkovs upside to take him with who will be available.

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe they should target the players with the best bloodlines -  Luke Hughes, Mason McTavish, Cole Sillinger

McTavish doesn't have a noted bloodline. He's not related to Craig MacTavish.

Special note: Mason's dad did play hockey, albeit at the lower levels. So there is SOME hockey bloodlines.

Edited by Dazzle

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

True.

But he’s a natural center no?

I don’t think he’s displacing Petey or Horvat any time soon so you would have to hope he can translate his skills to wing. Might be a waste of his talents.

I would go with the highly skilled Lysell or Johnson or with more size in Guenther. Benning would have to be very convinced in Svechkovs upside to take him with who will be available.

You go for BPA. Centers generally have more value than wingers. Svechkov would be in a similar position to Podkolzin where it'll take him a couple of years before he would possibly come to NA anyway, but in the meantime is likely to play against men in the KHL. He could start off as a 3rd line center when he arrives. Bo will be nearing 30 by then (doesn't mean he's done) and Petey has yet to prove he can handle the faceoff duties that a center should.

Svechkov is one of the risers in the draft as he was rated as a low 1st/high 2nd early in the year. I think many are starting to be convinced.

I wouldn't be upset with a winger either, but I do feel like those could be found in later rounds as well (eg Hoglander, Lind, Gadjovich, etc). Guenther, Lysell and Johnson may at a higher tier than those I just listed, but centers are also a premium position that we are lacking in as well.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Very dynamic line for sure.

The question would be is it too soft? 

Im all for building a skilled roster but as all the teams who are having success are showing you need a balance.

Maybe that means McTavish or Guenther are the better pick for us now.

I heard Lysell being compared to a Mitch Marner type of player. Tons of skill, but can he get it done in the playoffs with his game?  Marner sure can't.

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I heard Lysell being compared to a Mitch Marner type of player. Tons of skill, but can he get it done in the playoffs with his game?  Marner sure can't.

I think the Marner comparisons (which I agree with) have to do with his ability to hold on to the puck while buzzing around the o-zone, and then making an elite passing play. They have similarities in their skating strides and agility too. The comparisons don't stem from Marner's lack of mental toughness.

Think Marner's skating/playmaking with Hoglander's puck pursuit. There are some similarities to Kasperi Kapanen's skating style too (the acceleration/quick cuts).

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

You go for BPA. Centers generally have more value than wingers. Svechkov would be in a similar position to Podkolzin where it'll take him a couple of years before he would possibly come to NA anyway, but in the meantime is likely to play against men in the KHL. He could start off as a 3rd line center when he arrives. Bo will be nearing 30 by then (doesn't mean he's done) and Petey has yet to prove he can handle the faceoff duties that a center should.

Svechkov is one of the risers in the draft as he was rated as a low 1st/high 2nd early in the year. I think many are starting to be convinced.

I wouldn't be upset with a winger either, but I do feel like those could be found in later rounds as well (eg Hoglander, Lind, Gadjovich, etc). Guenther, Lysell and Johnson may at a higher tier than those I just listed, but centers are also a premium position that we are lacking in as well.

BPA will not be Svechkov so that kinda says it all.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

BPA will not be Svechkov so that kinda says it all.

I'll trust Benning and his scout's list. If Svechkov is who they deem as BPA when our pick comes up, I wouldn't be upset or surprised.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1