The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Kirill Kaprizov with a hat trick in yesterday's game against the Arizona Coyotes, especially his third goal was a beauty, buried a one timer home. Checked out at what draft pick he was selected by the Wild and couldn't believe that he was a 135 overall pick /(5th round) for the Wild. Wild hit gold with this pick. His stats in the KHL are very impressive. His first appearance was back in the season 2014-2015. Last two seasons with ZSKA Moskau he scored 30 goals and 33 goals respectively.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/265645/kirill-kaprizov

What player in the later rounds Jim had drafted during his tenure turned out to be such a beauty? Jim's draft record isn't as good as many fans believe. Just saying...

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Kirill Kaprizov with a hat trick in yesterday's game against the Arizona Coyotes, especially his third goal was a beauty, buried a one timer home. Checked out at what draft pick he was selected by the Wild and couldn't believe that he was a 135 overall pick /(5th round) for the Wild. Wild hit gold with this pick. His stats in the KHL are very impressive. His first appearance was back in the season 2014-2015. Last two seasons with ZSKA Moskau he scored 30 goals and 33 goals respectively.

What player in the later rounds Jim had drafted during his tenure turned out to be such a beauty? Jim's draft record isn't as good as many fans believe. Just saying...

Well this is a very random connection to make, in a pretty randomly chosen thread.

Anyway, a few players I like for later rounds this year are Atte Lehikoinen, Matvei Petrov and James Malatesta.

Lehikoinen is one of the better defensive defensemen in the draft.Not sure if there's much offensive upside, but fairly safe pick to be a bottom pair guy and penalty killer. My guess would be late 2nd to early 4th round.

Matvei Petrov is one of the more dynamic-skating forwards in the draft. Also has excellent offensive instincts and is 6'2. Should be an early second rounder.

James Malatesta is a small forward at 5'9, but he's a firecracker. Aggressive on the forecheck, likes to throw his body around, and high skill level to go with it. He's the type of small player who could actually make it in the NHL. Probably will be drafted from the 3rd to 5th round.

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Adam Gaudette in the 5th round

Boeser at 23

Demko in the 2nd

Rathbone in the 4th

Just cause the Wild hit gold after every team in the league passed on Kaprizov FOUR times doesn't mean Benning isn't a good drafter. What a weird way to try and make your point.

Minnesota has also drafted pretty poorly over the last 5-10 years.

I did some more research. They have drafted one player since 2016 that is on their roster, and since 2012 have only drafted SIX NHL players, one of which is Alex Tuch who is not playing for them. (Kunin, Greenway, Eriksson Ek, Dumba, Kaprizov).

Compare that to Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Virtanen, Gaudette, Juolevi, Demko, Hoglander in the same time period, with Tryamkin, McCann, Forsling not on the team.

Canucks AINEC

Edited by Chronic.Canucks.Fan
Education
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

This is such a crystal ball horse excrement straw man JB attack. 32 other GM's passed of him 4 times. The Wild struck gold leave it at that.

Fletcher, who was the general manager of the Wild since 2009, was fired in April 2018 after they were eliminated from the playoffs in the first round for the third consecutive year. He took a hands-off approach to sign Kaprizov that failed for three years. Kaprizov took Fletcher’s lack of communication as indifference and signed an extension with Moscow that kept him locked into the KHL until spring 2020.

“They weren’t too interested in me,” he said in a 2017 interview with Sport-Express. “What round was I picked at? The fifth? I think that they forgot about me immediately after the selection.” (From “Why the Minnesota Wild May Sign Kirill Kaprizov, Even Though He Cannot Play This Year.” – Tony The Wilderness – 07/02/2020).

Somebody else in Canada won roll up the rim to win. JB sucks at that too. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Man the 2022 and 2023 draft excite me way more than this draft... 

2022 = Shane wright, Brad Lambert, Matthew Savoie 

2023 = Connor Bedward & Matevi michkov. 

Those 2022 names are pretty bland and boring when it comes to hockey names..

#Dont fight to get wright

#Suck hard for bedward 

17 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Watched Wallsted in the WJC ( small sample size), seems to have the talent but doesnt seem to be a championship calibre - imo - cause even with a loaded Swedish team he was not able to steal or lead the team to a gold.  If I was GM, I would pass on him and perhaps trade for him as reclamation project if he follows the JM developemental path; preferably, BPA unless he is the BPA when our turn comes.  Very, intriguing if JB decides to pick cause it might be a win due to the Canucks tendency to do very well with Swedish players...

Canucks tend to do better with Swedish players and american college kids in Bennings tenure.

Every other nationality drafted by Benning has failed to make a big impact thus far.

With Podkolzin on the way he might be a lone bright spot Russian after the Canhcks struck out so many times in the past with other young Russians.

Ideally the Canucks would draft high enough to land Matty Berniers to come in day 1 and be their 3 C.

Berniers. Eklund. Wallstedt. Hughes. All would be great picks based on recent draft history.

2 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Canucks tend to do better with Swedish players and american college kids in Bennings tenure.

Every other nationality drafted by Benning has failed to make a big impact thus far.

With Podkolzin on the way he might be a lone bright spot Russian after the Canhcks struck out so many times in the past with other young Russians.

Ideally the Canucks would draft high enough to land Matty Berniers to come in day 1 and be their 3 C.

Berniers. Eklund. Wallstedt. Hughes. All would be great picks based on recent draft history.

Though I completely agree with your thought process I think it would be prudent that if we were to draft Beniers not to bring him along too quickly. 2 way C take a while to cook look at Bo. 3C is hard minutes with checking defensive responsibilities throwing him in the deep end of the pool  might not be the best thing for him. I would leave him in Michigan leading that stacked team. Hughes is committed there for next year as well. 

Beniers

Thats a hockey face tho if I've ever seen one. 

1 Luke 

2 Clarke 

3 Eklund

4 Beniers

5 Edvinsson 

6 Johnson

7 Power
8 Wallstedt

9  Svechkov

10 Lambos

11 Chaz

12 Raty 

I doubt we pick later than 12

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Man the 2022 and 2023 draft excite me way more than this draft... 

2022 = Shane wright, Brad Lambert, Matthew Savoie 

2023 = Connor Bedward & Matevi michkov. 

I don't wanna get too off topic since this is the 2021 thread, but personally, I like Miroshnichenko over Lambert or Savoie so far. Savoie's upside is off the charts, but I'm seeing some issues with inconsistency and trying to be too flashy. I love Lambert's game, but I'd like to see him get to the net more. Regardless, both are phenomenal prospects, but Miroshnichenko is a freak. He's a hard-hitting, pure power forward, complete with powerful skating and shot, and some of the best passing vision I've seen from a prospect in years.

That said, it's hard to disagree with your main point. I'd say any of Wright, Miroshnichenko,Lambert or Savoie could have gone first overall in the 2021 class. Not as as sure about the 2023 draft on the whole yet, but certainly Michkov and Bedard are two of the most exciting prospects to come along in a long time. Looks like the best top two since 2015.

5 hours ago, hammertime said:

Though I completely agree with your thought process I think it would be prudent that if we were to draft Beniers not to bring him along too quickly. 2 way C take a while to cook look at Bo. 3C is hard minutes with checking defensive responsibilities throwing him in the deep end of the pool  might not be the best thing for him. I would leave him in Michigan leading that stacked team. Hughes is committed there for next year as well. 

Beniers

1 Luke 

2 Clarke 

3 Eklund

4 Beniers

5 Edvinsson 

6 Johnson

7 Power
8 Wallstedt

9  Svechkov

10 Lambos

11 Chaz

12 Raty 

I am hoping Canucks pick top 7.

I like your list and agree with that order on how it fits the Canucks needs.

I think Lysell would be higher for me than Power or Edvinsson.

I think I am lower on Power and Edvinsson than the majority. Just see big guys who can skate but are still very raw and don't have the best hockey IQ or decision making process right now.

Kent Johnson wouldn't be a terrible consolation prize.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I am hoping Canucks pick top 7.

I like your list and agree with that order on how it fits the Canucks needs.

I think Lysell would be higher for me than Power or Edvinsson.

I think I am lower on Power and Edvinsson than the majority. Just see big guys who can skate but are still very raw and don't have the best hockey IQ or decision making process right now.

Kent Johnson wouldn't be a terrible consolation prize.

I agree on Power not much stands out to me other than his size. Edvinsson though I like the motor of Edvinsson he's got hustle and skates so well for his size and age. 

Lysell I keep seeing high on lists what really stands out to you about him? 

Kent Johnson Love my BCHL kids I wanted Newhook but was happy with Podkolzin didn't think he would make it to us. 

Edited by hammertime

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

I agree on Power not much stands out to me other than his size. Edvinsson though I like the motor of Edvinsson he's got hustle and skates so well for his size and age. 

Lysell I keep seeing high on lists what really stands out to you about him? 

Kent Johnson Love my BCHL kids I wanted Newhook but was happy with Podkolzin didn't think he would make it to us. 

Apparently Lysells puck skills are off the charts. But, that's just what scouts say. I haven't watched a game of his.

15 hours ago, hammertime said:

Beniers

1 Luke 

2 Clarke 

3 Eklund

4 Beniers

5 Edvinsson 

6 Johnson

7 Power
8 Wallstedt

9  Svechkov

10 Lambos

11 Chaz

12 Raty 

No Guenther? Guenther is rated above Johnson for me. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, KKnight said:

No Guenther? Guenther is rated above Johnson for me. 

I'm more focused on C and D if we are drafting top 10. Looking at fwds good teams are built down the middle.

For me I really like Svechkovs game he and Podkolzin united would  be a dream come true 3rd line. 

Chaz is just an absolute snipe show I probably have him too high but then again I might not have him high enough. 

Raty again much like Svechkov he's the guy we need 200ft C. He has struggled a bit this year after being ranked 1st OA. This year is a wacky one for a kid playing in Liiga during a pandemic. I think he's much better than his current ranking what impresses me most is how mature his game is his positioning and play away from the puck his game seems to really transfer well to the pros coaches will love him. He's a fantastic playmaker which we need. 

Guenther is a human highlight reel I should probably have him in Chaz spot as he is a much better skater.  However RW is pretty crowded for us. So that's the main reason he didn't make my top 12.

42 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Along with puck skills his skating is incredible. Fast and quick, but also agile, deceptive, great edges. On pure talent alone, he's right there at the top of the class. Kent Johnson has better creativity and offensive instincts, but Lysell is a bit more of a mature decision-maker. Size ends up being the biggest difference between the two for me right now.

Here's my latest top 20. Assuming the draft really does go in July, I think it's getting somewhat close to finalized, and I'm now confident enough in most of my assessments to include tiers. I still need to see more of Guenther and Eklund - they could easily move up a few spots as Lambos and Johnson have major upside but are full of holes.

What I'm looking for mainly is a combination of safe "floor" and high "ceiling". Brandt Clarke fits that bill the best. There's a realistic chance he could be in Drew Doughty territory, and is a very safe bet to be Josh Morrissey plus. Beniers is practically a lock to be a solid second line center, and there's a slight chance he could be Bergeron-Toews stratosphere, and pretty good chance he's Kesler-O'Reilly. Luke Hughes is a safe bet to be an effective top four puck moving defenseman, and there's enough upside on the defensive side that there's an outside chance he could be Keith-Josi territory. Power is more of a balance - not as as safe a pick as Clarke or Beniers, and not as high upside as Hughes, but quite high in both regards. Sillinger rounds out my top five, and he's a bit harder to define. I get major Joe Paveslki vibes for an upside. He's almost a lock to be a top nine forward, pretty safe bet to be a top six, but the thing I really like is that I don't think it's such a longshot that he reaches his ceiling - he's already such a pro-style player and a coach's dream.

Tier I

1. Brandt Clarke

2. Matthew Beniers

3. Luke Hughes

Tier II

4. Owen Power

5. Cole Sillinger

6. Carson Lambos

7. Kent Johnson

8. William Eklund

9.Dylan Guenther

Tier III

10. Fabian Lysell

11. Simon Edvinsson

12. Chaz Lucius

13. Fyodor Svechkov

14. Nikita Chibrikov

15. Aatu Raty

16. Zach Bolduc

17. Jesper Wallstedt

18. Oskar Olausson

19. Corson Ceuleman

20. Simon Robertsson

This is a very good list. 

I am much higher on some players than you are (I would have Eklund in tier 1) however I think your list is quite realistic in terms of how the actual draft order will go. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Tier I                                               

1. Brandt Clarke                                Owen Power

2. Matthew Beniers                           Matthew Beniers

3. Luke Hughes                                 Willian Eklund

Tier II

4. Owen Power                                  Luke Hughes

5. Cole Sillinger                                  Brandt Clarke

6. Carson Lambos                              Aatu Raty

7. Kent Johnson                                 Cole Silinger

8. William Eklund                               Carson Lambos

9.Dylan Guenther                               Kent Johnson

Dylan Guenther

Tier III

10. Fabian Lysell                                 Simon Edvinsson

11. Simon Edvinsson                          Corson Ceulemen

12. Chaz Lucius                                  Fyodor Svenchkov

13. Fyodor Svechkov                          Jesper Wallstedt

14. Nikita Chibrikov

15. Aatu Raty

16. Zach Bolduc

17. Jesper Wallstedt

18. Oskar Olausson

19. Corson Ceuleman

20. Simon Robertsson

Good list! I have it a little different, but I am no way an expert, and love these lists, as I learn alot from them.

Here is mine......a little diffeerent, but....................

My 13 are in a rough order...............can't go much higher than that

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/13/2021 at 6:27 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

Very poor take.

Look at the Hoglander draft - which player could Benning have picked in that spot that would be superior to him now?

Oh wait, you're selectively ignoring certain aspects of Benning's drafting to push forward an argument that will inherently have flaws.

10 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Along with puck skills his skating is incredible. Fast and quick, but also agile, deceptive, great edges. On pure talent alone, he's right there at the top of the class. Kent Johnson has better creativity and offensive instincts, but Lysell is a bit more of a mature decision-maker. Size ends up being the biggest difference between the two for me right now.

Here's my latest top 20. Assuming the draft really does go in July, I think it's getting somewhat close to finalized, and I'm now confident enough in most of my assessments to include tiers. I still need to see more of Guenther and Eklund - they could easily move up a few spots as Lambos and Johnson have major upside but are full of holes.

What I'm looking for mainly is a combination of safe "floor" and high "ceiling". Brandt Clarke fits that bill the best. There's a realistic chance he could be in Drew Doughty territory, and is a very safe bet to be Josh Morrissey plus. Beniers is practically a lock to be a solid second line center, and there's a slight chance he could be Bergeron-Toews stratosphere, and pretty good chance he's Kesler-O'Reilly. Luke Hughes is a safe bet to be an effective top four puck moving defenseman, and there's enough upside on the defensive side that there's an outside chance he could be Keith-Josi territory. Power is more of a balance - not as as safe a pick as Clarke or Beniers, and not as high upside as Hughes, but quite high in both regards. Sillinger rounds out my top five, and he's a bit harder to define. I get major Joe Paveslki vibes for an upside. He's almost a lock to be a top nine forward, pretty safe bet to be a top six, but the thing I really like is that I don't think it's such a longshot that he reaches his ceiling - he's already such a pro-style player and a coach's dream.

Tier I

1. Brandt Clarke

2. Matthew Beniers

3. Luke Hughes

Tier II

4. Owen Power

5. Cole Sillinger

6. Carson Lambos

7. Kent Johnson

8. William Eklund

9.Dylan Guenther

Tier III

10. Fabian Lysell

11. Simon Edvinsson

12. Chaz Lucius

13. Fyodor Svechkov

14. Nikita Chibrikov

15. Aatu Raty

16. Zach Bolduc

17. Jesper Wallstedt

18. Oskar Olausson

19. Corson Ceuleman

20. Simon Robertsson

Robertsson is intriguing to me as a late riser or someone who outperforms his draft slot in 2-3 years.

Nice combo of size, shot, speed and skill if he keeps improving and can gain 15-20 pound over the next few years.

Ideally a complementary second line power winger with a great shot.