The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

10 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Canucks have had massive success in the early rounds the past few years. Most of that has come out of Sweden and the northeastern United States. Podkolzin was an easy pick when he fell that far, but I wouldn't expect them to pick a Russian unless it was a similar situation with one falling, which doesn't seem to be the situation this year. Most likely picks for the Canucks will be Kent Johnson, Fabian Lysell, Jesper Wallstedt, Chaz Lucius, Cole Sillinger.

I am a little curious about the lower IQ comment on Johnson. Not that I disagree, but would be interested to hear your reasoning.

I have just heard interviews on his IQ and skating ability being the two biggest factors of his C position not translating to the NHL and that lots of scouts are projecting him as an offensive winger over a C.

so it’s really not my own opinion it’s one just formed from various sources and sn650 interviews I’ve heard.

I know your high on sillinger. Do you think the Canucks will be too with the premium they put on skating ability in oat drafts and all the references they have made to our line up lacking speed this season?

who do you think bennings top 9 are?

• Cheers 1

There are some real good players who haven't had the attention on them the last few months. Players like Lucius, Lambos and Raty.  Do we focus a little too much on the U18? Maybe not enough of the big picture?

Edited by NUCKER67

18 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's VAN's turn to pick.

Johnson, Lysell, Lambos, Lucius, Svechkov, Raty and Sillinger are left.

What does Jim do? 

Johnson.  I would lose my $*** if he went any other way.  He has more high end skill than all the others here combined.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Johnson.  I would lose my $*** if he went any other way.  He has more high end skill than all the others here combined.

If we got Johnson, our powerplay would be dominant for many years. 

Johnson - Petey - Podkolzin

Boeser - Hughes 

Miller - Horvat - Hoglander

Myers - Rathbone

Out of curiosity, does anyone think McTacish benefits from the fact that he’s Canadian? Say he was the same player, but Finnish, does he still rank within the top 10? Or is he viewed as more of a Svechkov who’s kinda ranked all over the place. I feel that sometimes the Canadian kids get a bit more hype than they deserve. Everyone puts a bit more value on the rugged style Canadian. 

Edited by Kenny Blankenship
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone think McTacish benefits from the fact that he’s Canadian? Say he was the same player, but Finnish, does he still rank within the top 10? Or is he viewed as more of a Svechkov who’s kinda ranked all over the place. I feel that sometimes the Canadian kids get a bit more hype than they deserve. Everyone puts a bit more value on the rugged style Canadian. 

Nah, I think it came down to his recent performance at the U18s.  He looked fantastic out there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Nah, I think it came down to his recent performance at the U18s.  He looked fantastic out there.

Oh for sure I don’t doubt that he’s a good player, just more curious if he gets a bit of a bump due to the fact he’s Canadian. I do believe there’s a bit of a bias towards Canadians when it comes to hockey. As far as the Canucks go, something about drafting a shoot first center puts me off a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Right you are, Kenny.

There's a familiarity with these players, whereas others are more unknown. Boeser was a great pick, but many of us (me included) went "who?" at the time. 

I think picking outside of Canada excites me more even outside the first round, where there's a chance you find an underrated, under-scouted stud,

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah but he will skyrocket in the final combined rankings. Most of the more recent rankings have him in top 10.

Yesterdays combined rankings had him 14th.

1 Owen Power
2 Matthew Beniers 3 William Eklund
4 Luke Hughes
5 Brandt Clarke
6 Simon Edvinsson 7 Dylan Guenther 8 Kent Johnson
9 Jesper Wallstedt

10.Fabian Lysell

11.Cole Sillinger

12.Chaz Lucius

13.Aatu Raty

14.Mason Mctavish

15.Carson Lambos

Edited by Honky Cat

1 minute ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Oh for sure I don’t doubt that he’s a good player, just more curious if he gets a bit of a bump due to the fact he’s Canadian. I do believe there’s a bit of a bias towards Canadians when it comes to hockey. As far as the Canucks go, something about drafting a shoot first center puts me off a bit. 

Yes, there's always Canadian bias. Some hometown bias (although Virtanen has squashed a bit of that). But there's also Russian bias the other way. IMO, I'd put Svechkov over McTavish just in terms of upside, but both have solid attributes. Yet McTavish is loved by many for #9 and Svechkov is deemed to be a far reach. There's also some Swedish bias here, but it's fair based on our success with them.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I have just heard interviews on his IQ and skating ability being the two biggest factors of his C position not translating to the NHL and that lots of scouts are projecting him as an offensive winger over a C.

so it’s really not my own opinion it’s one just formed from various sources and sn650 interviews I’ve heard.

I know your high on sillinger. Do you think the Canucks will be too with the premium they put on skating ability in oat drafts and all the references they have made to our line up lacking speed this season?

who do you think bennings top 9 are?

Yeah you're very probably right about the Canucks and Sillinger. They do seem to be leaning towards more skill/skating. Central Scouting's ranking of Lysell piqued my interest. Say what you will about Stubb and his group, they aren't idiots. There has to be some reason they have Lysell so low. I don't agree with them, but I do believe there is a significant risk factor with Lysell, and some teams will be scared off. Same goes for Johnson, although the concerns for each are quite different.

I can't really begin to guess what Benning's list might look like. Fairly safe to say Power, Eklund, Clarke, Hughes, Guenther, Beniers, McTavish are on it. Edvinsson is a name that I expect is all over the place on NHL teams' lists. Gradin is arguably the most prominent voice on the Canucks' scouting staff right now, so if he and his Swedish cohort are high on Edvinsson and Lysell, then they will be near the top of the Canucks' list, if not, they will be nowhere to be found.

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

For fans and media for sure. I imagine for actual scouts his performance in the Swiss League, and especially his playoffs, was a major eye opener. But yeah it would have been mostly the Euro scouts seeing him over there. U18s allowed teams' GMs and scouting directors to confirm for themselves what they would have already heard from their scouts.

My concern with Johnson is - can he reel it in and learn?  So much skill, incredible at times, but also high risk high reward. Imagine him and Hughes on the ice at the same time. A ton of skill but they might both be a -50 lol 

Not saying it's a comparison, but Goldobin is a guy who has a lot of offensive skill, but he just couldn't learn the D game. Can Johnson learn? (some say he doesn't have a high hockey IQ)  

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

That is just it Joe

No one wants to put in the time.

I guess,  at some point...sure maybe you sign Edler to a short 1 year

But we have Hughes, Rathbone, and Juolevi, and at some point you have to chance they can swim

On RHD moving Schmidt still allows us to sign a cheaper RHD...aka Savard, who might actually work better

Exactly you make them play, mistakes happen and it will happen but the upside of them going thru these mistakes far out ways on how they can improve in the future. 

also if we end up drafting mctavish he should get a fair shot on making the team as a 4th line center next season. He will learn way more being on the main club and getting NHL minutes especially since he has the size of a NHLer already. Just like horvat was.

52 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

My concern with Johnson is - can he reel it in and learn?  So much skill, incredible at times, but also high risk high reward. Imagine him and Hughes on the ice at the same time. A ton of skill but they might both be a -50 lol 

Not saying it's a comparison, but Goldobin is a guy who has a lot of offensive skill, but he just couldn't learn the D game. Can Johnson learn? (some say he doesn't have a high hockey IQ)  

Your making it sound like a risk at #9 to select him, so either trade down a bit to try and get him or maybe he will be a steal for a team picking in the teens if he slides a bit.

I remember when Chychrun fell in his draft, I was hoping the Canucks would select Tkachuk but if they went the D route my choices would have been back then: 1. Chychrun 2. McaVoy 3. Sergachev 4. OJ

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I may have miss-spoke somewhat, in my description "Offensive upside"

But IMO, todays Dmen, who are effective, are 2 way Dmen, who can play both D and O, and are big enough to protect the net. 

I am not so much against drafting a forward with our 1st, but maybe drafting at least one, big Dman who has bite with offensive upside, maybe even 2

Just go out and get them. Benning seems to wait and see who falls to him, but I would prefer he go out and be aggressive and move things to get one..

I may not be articulating this too well...............????

I think waiting to see who falls to us is a great strategy. Likely a homerun makes it to us one of Edvinsson, Eklund, Lysell, Mctavish, Maybe even Beneres IMO tou really dont want passing on one of those guys on your permanent record. 

1 hour ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Probably more exposed for the Canadian fans...

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Yesterdays combined rankings had him 14th.

1 Owen Power
2 Matthew Beniers 3 William Eklund
4 Luke Hughes
5 Brandt Clarke
6 Simon Edvinsson 7 Dylan Guenther 8 Kent Johnson
9 Jesper Wallstedt

10.Fabian Lysell

11.Cole Sillinger

12.Chaz Lucius

13.Aatu Raty

14.Mason Mctavish

15.Carson Lambos