The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think waiting to see who falls to us is a great strategy. Likely a homerun makes it to us one of Edvinsson, Eklund, Lysell, Mctavish, Maybe even Beneres IMO tou really dont want passing on one of those guys on your permanent record. 

If Beniers is still available at 9th OA you sprint up to the podium.

22 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Your making it sound like a risk at #9 to select him, so either trade down a bit to try and get him or maybe he will be a steal for a team picking in the teens if he slides a bit.

I remember when Chychrun fell in his draft, I was hoping the Canucks would select Tkachuk but if they went the D route my choices would have been back then: 1. Chychrun 2. McaVoy 3. Sergachev 4. OJ

I wanted Tkachuk or Chychrun in the worst way. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

My concern with Johnson is - can he reel it in and learn?  So much skill, incredible at times, but also high risk high reward. Imagine him and Hughes on the ice at the same time. A ton of skill but they might both be a -50 lol 

Not saying it's a comparison, but Goldobin is a guy who has a lot of offensive skill, but he just couldn't learn the D game. Can Johnson learn? (some say he doesn't have a high hockey IQ)  

I think you are pretty off with your assessment of Johnson's defensive game. It is actually pretty decent, he has played center his whole career before this year and probably only cause Beniers was there. Attached is one scouting report on his defense.

Defensive Game

Johnson is also good in the defensive end of the ice. He does a good job of bringing pack pressure against the rush. Johnson also understands his responsibilities in his own end, supporting the defence down low and working to cut off the cycle. He is good positionally and keeps him body between his man and the net. Johnson uses his stick to cut down passing lanes as well as to poke check opponents. This is another area where lack of muscle on his frame is a detriment right now though, as he can sometimes be pushed around by bigger opponents.  When his team is able to retrieve the puck, Johnson is able to quickly transition to offence and creates opportunities by getting up the ice quickly both with and without the puck.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/04/26/kent-johnson-scouting-report/

The main concern about Johnson is he has a Petey Bod, but it hasnt stopped him from being efective. If he can add more muscle with another year of college, Johnson could be a dynamic player at 180lbs.

Edited by Bure_Pavel

I’ve flip flopped all year on who I think will be available at 9, and who the canucks would consider BPA at 9. In the extremely unlikely case of Eklund or Beniers being there, you take either and run. From there, I think it’s anyone’s guess. My money is on drafting a forward and signing a FA defensive defenseman like Larsson or Savard. My personal favourites who might seem off the board to some are Lysell, Svechkov and Sillinger. Lysell plays that high paced playoff style game that scouts will love, and I think he will be taken a lot higher than people are ranking him. Svechkov and Sillinger are defensively responsible forwards who are good around the net and have some untapped offensive potential - might fit well on a playoff shutdown line with Podkolzin, Horvat and the like.

If I had to choose players for a “do not draft” list, Edvinsson and Johnson are right at the top. Something about lacking awareness or making the simple play at the professional level is worrisome. Sure, they have potential to be home run picks, but they are extremely high risk IMO. 

If JB comes out of this with any of Eklund, Beniers, Lysell, Svechkov, or Sillinger, or even Guenther, our organization will be adding a defensively conscious player with tons of offensive potential, all of whom seem to play an uptempo style, which today’s NHL is trending towards. Lower risk, high reward.

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think you are pretty off with your assessment of Johnson's defensive game. It is actually pretty decent, he has played center his whole career before this year and probably only cause Beniers was there. Attached is one scouting report on his defense.

Defensive Game

Johnson is also good in the defensive end of the ice. He does a good job of bringing pack pressure against the rush. Johnson also understands his responsibilities in his own end, supporting the defence down low and working to cut off the cycle. He is good positionally and keeps him body between his man and the net. Johnson uses his stick to cut down passing lanes as well as to poke check opponents. This is another area where lack of muscle on his frame is a detriment right now though, as he can sometimes be pushed around by bigger opponents.  When his team is able to retrieve the puck, Johnson is able to quickly transition to offence and creates opportunities by getting up the ice quickly both with and without the puck.

The main concern about Johnson is he has a Petey Bod, but it hasnt stopped him from being efective. If he can add more muscle with another year of college, Johnson could be a dynamic player at 180lbs.

I would have to strongly disagree about the main concern with Johnson. You're right that defense isn't a major issue, but there's a lot more to it than weight. The biggest concern is his decision-making with the puck. He makes a lot of low-percentage plays. Some people think its a problem with hockey IQ but I'm not convinced. Much of what he does works at the NCAA level. A lot of it won't work at higher levels, but that doesn't necessarily mean his hockey IQ is a problem. If he's skilled enough to do the things he does at his current level, then he might as well do it. Figuring out when to chip and chase, dump it in, or make a pure possession play, is all stuff he's going to need to figure out to succeed at higher levels, but those who are high on the player will say he can cross that bridge we when he gets there.

So probably what Nucker said about -50 wasn't so much about his defensive play, but about turning the puck over.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Defensive Game

I know that +/- isn't the best stat, but he was +16 at UM as a freshman in 26 games.  I'm guessing he is going to play at UM next year, and come to whatever teams camp at 180lbs.  This kid is as dynamic as they come. My gut is that after D+1, he is considered a top 5 player from this draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I think waiting to see who falls to us is a great strategy. Likely a homerun makes it to us one of Edvinsson, Eklund, Lysell, Mctavish, Maybe even Beneres IMO tou really dont want passing on one of those guys on your permanent record. 

They say anything can happen but that’s not really true, Beniers being available at 9 is one of those things that just won’t happen. Zero percent chance. 

26 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I know that +/- isn't the best stat, but he was +16 at UM as a freshman in 26 games.  I'm guessing he is going to play at UM next year, and come to whatever teams camp at 180lbs.  This kid is as dynamic as they come. My gut is that after D+1, he is considered a top 5 player from this draft.

He had almost identical BCHL numbers as Jost and Newhook except they did it in their draft year while Johnson did it a year prior to that. He’s insanely skilled. We would be lucky to add him to our group

Sounds like players like Lysell and Johnson are gaining and could be taken higher in the draft than expected. Maybe Wallstedt too. While other players may have been knocked down a notch or two. This would bode very well for the Canucks, if so:

1. Power

2. Beniers

3. Eklund

4. Clarke

5. McTavish

6. Lysell

7. Wallstedt

8. Johnson

9. Hughes, Guenther, Edvinsson   (wishful thinking)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah you're very probably right about the Canucks and Sillinger. They do seem to be leaning towards more skill/skating. Central Scouting's ranking of Lysell piqued my interest. Say what you will about Stubb and his group, they aren't idiots. There has to be some reason they have Lysell so low. I don't agree with them, but I do believe there is a significant risk factor with Lysell, and some teams will be scared off. Same goes for Johnson, although the concerns for each are quite different.

I can't really begin to guess what Benning's list might look like. Fairly safe to say Power, Eklund, Clarke, Hughes, Guenther, Beniers, McTavish are on it. Edvinsson is a name that I expect is all over the place on NHL teams' lists. Gradin is arguably the most prominent voice on the Canucks' scouting staff right now, so if he and his Swedish cohort are high on Edvinsson and Lysell, then they will be near the top of the Canucks' list, if not, they will be nowhere to be found.

Well wasn’t the report about some attitude/off ice maturity issues?

i believe that and his production are his biggest red flags.

scouchs report explained the production well enough for me. And on sn650 interview he went on to say there are some rumbles of maturity issues.

and honestly maybe I’m guessing but I’d have to think that must stem from frustration of playing with an old school shl team that hasn’t been using him properly or sharing the puck with him even on the ice. 

and he is a kid.

but I’m not sure!

agree 100% with your rankings of those 7 being locks in our teams top 9.

and with gradin influence on Edvinsson / lysell

I hope edvinsson is gone before our pick though and same with Kent Johnson.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

If hes BPA (aka highest player on the list still available), you take him. 

Sure thing. Same goes for Cossa then as some lists have him higher.

i just doubt he will be on our list at 9.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Sure thing. Same goes for Cossa then as some lists have him higher.

i just doubt he will be on our list at 9.

exactly.  Who will be there at nine, and which of those most likely there at nine will be highest on Benning's list?  Lambos might be the guy?  I htink guys like Clarke, Power, Hughes, Edvinson, Beniers, Eklund will all be gone before we pick.  

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

They say anything can happen but that’s not really true, Beniers being available at 9 is one of those things that just won’t happen. Zero percent chance. 

Like I said maaaaaaybe! I dont think so but you can do what you want and focus on one teeny weeny aspect of my post or understand what the intent of the post was. it's a weird draft gaurnteed someone you think should have a 0% chance of being available to us will be there and in that case I hope JB runs to the podium. 

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

I would have to strongly disagree about the main concern with Johnson. You're right that defense isn't a major issue, but there's a lot more to it than weight. The biggest concern is his decision-making with the puck. He makes a lot of low-percentage plays. Some people think its a problem with hockey IQ but I'm not convinced. Much of what he does works at the NCAA level. A lot of it won't work at higher levels, but that doesn't necessarily mean his hockey IQ is a problem. If he's skilled enough to do the things he does at his current level, then he might as well do it. Figuring out when to chip and chase, dump it in, or make a pure possession play, is all stuff he's going to need to figure out to succeed at higher levels, but those who are high on the player will say he can cross that bridge we when he gets there.

So probably what Nucker said about -50 wasn't so much about his defensive play, but about turning the puck over.

Personally I think the Canucks need more skilled guys who are willing to carry the puck into the offensive zone and make high end plays to generate scoring chances. I get pretty tired of every time we get to the blue line we dump it in and chase. I agree he can be a bit selfish with the puck but on most teams he has played he was twice as skilled are everyone on the team. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Like I said maaaaaaybe! I dont think so but you can do what you want and focus on one teeny weeny aspect of my post or understand what the intent of the post was. it's a weird draft gaurnteed someone you think should have a 0% chance of being available to us will be there and in that case I hope JB runs to the podium. 

Well the only guys I see with 0% chance of going to us are Power and Beniers. There’s guys that have a small shot like Clarke, Eklund and Hughes but still doubtful. But I agree that in a draft year like this every team is going to have much different draft boards in the top 10. At 9 we could get a player that JB has as his 3rd or 4th ranked prospect. Regardless we are getting a potential stud and someone to be extremely excited about, even if he makes a pick deemed as a reach 

• Like 1

I agree with Marv, it's doubtful Power, Beniers, Clarke, Eklund or Hughes falls to us, but it could happen I suppose. Teams ahead of VAN could do something unexpected.

Really torn on what I'd prefer they do:  Forward or D, assuming those guys are gone. 

Potential F

Guenther, Johnson, McTavish, Lysell, Lucius

Potential D

Edvinsson, Lambos

Still going to get a really good player

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree with Marv, it's doubtful Power, Beniers, Clarke, Eklund or Hughes falls to us, but it could happen I suppose. Teams ahead of VAN could do something unexpected.

Really torn on what I'd prefer they do:  Forward or D, assuming those guys are gone. 

Potential F

Guenther, Johnson, McTavish, Lysell, Lucius

Potential D

Edvinsson, Lambos

Still going to get a really good player

Edvinsson scares me, I think we need to take someone with a good hockey sense and IQ. He has the tools to be a top 10 pick but the toolbox is scary. Lambos is another guy I don’t think is a top 10 guy but I’d be really happy with any of the forwards you have listed there!