Noble 6

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looking at the Canucks depth...

LW / RW - Podkolzin, Lind, Lockwood, Gadjovich, Plasek

C - Focht, Costmar

D - Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo, Utunen, Jurmo, Persson

G - DiPietro, Silovs

...they need a quality C, badly

No love for Jasek? I like hearing the late round, long shot to make it players who actually...make it! I would like to see Jasek in some pre season games next season and see how he looks. Too bad there likely won't be a Young Stars Tourney, I miss going to that in Penticton...never will forget Virtanen crunching McRegularseason then scoring the GWG on a breakaway I believe later that same game?? or a different one that year.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

exactly.  Who will be there at nine, and which of those most likely there at nine will be highest on Benning's list?  Lambos might be the guy?  I htink guys like Clarke, Power, Hughes, Edvinson, Beniers, Eklund will all be gone before we pick.  

HighonHockey take on lambos has me turned off him in top 10. Can’t find it to quote it but he had a good little write up on him kind of explaining his flaws / red flags and how the other guys will be better options at 9.

honestly there is a serious chance Hughes is there at 9.

he is not high on every teams lists from the sounds of it. I keep reference scouch but he’s a valuable resource i feel and he’s been quoted saying some teams have him at the top of the draft some have him in the latter half of the first round. 

I know it’s a weaker draft but I feel like he’s not going at a higher slot than Quinn did. As stupid as that sounds I just feel like he wont.

i don’t think NJD are taking him and I think it any team does it will be the LA KINGS right before us.

im wrong a lot though so we will see ! :)

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Not that we should be concerned since he’ll most likely go #1 to Buffalo but looks like he’ll be heading back to Michigan rather than suiting up for the NHL. Strange

Sounds smart to me to be honest. He gets to mature and develop at a rate he feels he need and educate himself while going to classes and mature as a man.

I feel dmen take longer. And extra development time most of the time is always a good idea.

and this year wasn’t even a. Proper year for kids so a year at school developing after an nhl camp and men’s summer tournament would probably be great for him.

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Did Tampa already have Vailevski when they started playing Bishop?

I’m not saying it’s not possible. I just don’t think you see a team that’s just finished grooming an nhl starter from 1st round selection on a 5 year agreement with a 5 year goalie coach signing spend a top 10 pick on a goalie.

100% I agree if they have the goalie as the bpa on their board they should go for it but I just don’t see it happening unless they feel incredibly strong about one of these goalies. And if they do hell ya I’ll be happy cause they know more than me and if it’s a monster goalie great.

we all know goaltending is key to a cup

54 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Man....... really I dont think the 2 are comparable at all. JV has rocks in his head that is obvious. I dont think edvinsson is a dummy or a party boi. He is just a normal 18 YO who often gets thrown in the deep end of the pool due to his size. He defends the rush really well. He does some risky stuff and gets lost in the ice sometimes but I dont think for a second he is un teachable like Jake. 

We won’t know for a few years, different players and maybe I went to the extreme end of no toolbox but I think it’s still valid. Broberg went 7 a couple years ago and he is a Dman with size and tantalizing traits but also lacks the toolbox. I won’t be furious if we take Edvinsson he’s just not someone I prefer. He’s still a high end prospect with high end abilities. If he’s coached well and he takes to being coached then he’s going to be a legit top 4 Dman

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

We won’t know for a few years, different players and maybe I went to the extreme end of no toolbox but I think it’s still valid. Broberg went 7 a couple years ago and he is a Dman with size and tantalizing traits but also lacks the toolbox. I won’t be furious if we take Edvinsson he’s just not someone I prefer. He’s still a high end prospect with high end abilities. If he’s coached well and he takes to being coached then he’s going to be a legit top 4 Dman

Fair enough. I'm personally more interested in Clarke, Eklund, Beniers, Hughes, Lysell, Mctavish/Svechkov, Wallstedt. But if Edvinssons our guy with Gradin's endorsement I could find a lot of reasons to be excited about it. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Fair enough. I'm personally more interested in Clarke, Eklund, Beniers, Lysell, Mctavish/Svechkov, Wallstedt. But if Edvinssons our guy with Gradin's endorsement I could find a lot of reasons to be excited about it. 

I totally agree. Of guys ranked in most top 9s that I realistically see being in our range I’d be over the moon happy with Johnson or McTavish. Wallstedt isn’t a position of need but he could end up being the best player in the draft so I’d be really happy with him. Lysell and Svechkov I think will both be available to us and I’d be very happy with either of them as well. I doubt Clarke, Beniers and Eklund are available to us but if any of those 3 are I think that’s our home run pick. And if Gradin and our other euro scouts feel like Edvinsson is the guy to take then I’m not going to be butthurt, like I said he has tantalizing traits so the potential is there for him to be as good as any of the Dmen in this draft. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I totally agree. Of guys ranked in most top 9s that I realistically see being in our range I’d be over the moon happy with Johnson or McTavish. Wallstedt isn’t a position of need but he could end up being the best player in the draft so I’d be really happy with him. Lysell and Svechkov I think will both be available to us and I’d be very happy with either of them as well. I doubt Clarke, Beniers and Eklund are available to us but if any of those 3 are I think that’s our home run pick. And if Gradin and our other euro scouts feel like Edvinsson is the guy to take then I’m not going to be butthurt, like I said he has tantalizing traits so the potential is there for him to be as good as any of the Dmen in this draft. 

That's interesting that you bring up Johnson. He's a guy I have more IQ concerns about than Edvinsson but again as you said also has "tantalizing traits"

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

That's interesting that you bring up Johnson. He's a guy I have more IQ concerns about than Edvinsson but again as you said also has "tantalizing traits"

The way you think Edvinssons IQ concerns are overstated I think Johnson’s are overstated. He has good positioning in the defensive end and does his job there. I think the valid concerns on Johnson are weight and strength but I’ve seen him play a lot and think he’s got the toolbox. I’ve seen limited games of Edvinsson but I see him lose his man in the defensive end quite a bit and he doesn’t close on offensive players well. Maybe that changes on smaller ice? I don’t claim to know all, it’s just my opinion

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

The way you think Edvinssons IQ concerns are overstated I think Johnson’s are overstated. He has good positioning in the defensive end and does his job there. I think the valid concerns on Johnson are weight and strength but I’ve seen him play a lot and think he’s got the toolbox. I’ve seen limited games of Edvinsson but I see him lose his man in the defensive end quite a bit and he doesn’t close on offensive players well. Maybe that changes on smaller ice? I don’t claim to know all, it’s just my opinion

I wonder if the Brad Shaw hiring will play into who they pick. Maybe they reach for Ceulemans or Heimosalmi? (Pure speculation) I think its very possible that many teams draft boards are very different from the rankings we see online. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, hammertime said:

I wonder if the Brad Shaw hiring will play into who they pick. Maybe they reach for Ceulemans or Heimosalmi? (Pure speculation) I think its very possible that many teams draft boards are very different from the rankings we see online. 

I love the Brad Shaw hiring with some of the young guys we have on the back end in the system already. We need a coach like that. Ian Clarke coming back is another big win for our team. I like the start to our offseason, I’m excited to see how the rest plays out. I’d love Jurmo to come to NA next year if he doesn’t have any contractual obligations to see what we have in him 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I’m sure that he would at least offer his opinion.
While we’re speculating…Ian Clark said in his interview that he likes to see the team draft a goalie 2 out of every 3 drafts so…

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

Well wasn’t the report about some attitude/off ice maturity issues?

i believe that and his production are his biggest red flags.

scouchs report explained the production well enough for me. And on sn650 interview he went on to say there are some rumbles of maturity issues.

and honestly maybe I’m guessing but I’d have to think that must stem from frustration of playing with an old school shl team that hasn’t been using him properly or sharing the puck with him even on the ice. 

and he is a kid.

That scares me quite a bit given our history with Dahlen. Would hate to draft another highly skilled entitled kid . 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

If those are the guys left, I think Benning goes for Cuelemans or Lambos.  Not much of a stretch for either.

I do really like both Johnson and Guenther. Johnson may be the most offensively gifted guy in the draft. Guenther with a longer season statistically probably could have played himself in the top 6! He’s produced a lot of points at every level over his junior career.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Not that we should be concerned since he’ll most likely go #1 to Buffalo but looks like he’ll be heading back to Michigan rather than suiting up for the NHL. Strange

I don't think anyone in this draft will be playing in the NHL next year.  Michigan will have a powerhouse team next year with Power, Beniers and Johnson.  They have a great shot at winning the NCAA Championship.

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That scares me quite a bit given our history with Dahlen. Would hate to draft another highly skilled entitled kid . 

I don’t know if that would be the same case. I don’t know enough 

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes Tampa won that trade

Oh lol. I misunderstood you. Wasn't sure but assumed you probably meant L.A. and didn't remember the circumstances around the trade. Yeah it was a trainwreck for L.A. Cernak turned out to be a shutdown monster and they got 7 games of Bishop and still missed the playoffs.

Edited by HighOnHockey

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I do really like both Johnson and Guenther. Johnson may be the most offensively gifted guy in the draft. Guenther with a longer season statistically probably could have played himself in the top 6! He’s produced a lot of points at every level over his junior career.

Guenther is a much better prospect and will almost certainly go much earlier than most here seem to think. I've questioned his offensive upside in the past, but by that I just mean I don't think he's a superstar. I've made the comparisons to Max Pacioretty and Kyle Palmieri. If you're primarily interested in upside, that might not sound all that exciting, but his floor has to be considered one of, if not the highest, in the draft.

His stick skills and skating aren't quite elite, but they are both pretty high end. But what sets him apart is his pro-adaptable offensive game. Skill is one aspect of creating offense, but hockey IQ and deceptiveness are also key in the NHL. I talk about Simon Edvinsson's problems defending high-skill, high-IQ offensive players because they're good at creating deception and misdirection and he has a bad penchance to bite and get lost in the shuffle. Well at U18s he looked pretty good for the most part but the one guy who absolutely had his number was Guenther.

Not my favorite player in the draft personally, but NHL teams are risk-averse and love safe picks. I'll be shocked if he is available at 9.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Guenther is a much better prospect and will almost certainly go much earlier than most here seem to think. I've questioned his offensive upside in the past, but by that I just mean I don't think he's a superstar. I've made the comparisons to Max Pacioretty and Kyle Palmieri. If you're primarily interested in upside, that might not sound all that exciting, but his floor has to be considered one of, if not the highest, in the draft.

His stick skills and skating aren't quite elite, but they are both pretty high end. But what sets him apart is his pro-adaptable offensive game. Skill is one aspect of creating offense, but hockey IQ and deceptiveness are also key in the NHL. I talk about Simon Edvinsson's problems defending high-skill, high-IQ offensive players because they're good at creating deception and misdirection and he has a bad penchance to bite and get lost in the shuffle. Well at U18s he looked pretty good for the most part but the one guy who absolutely had his number was Guenther.

Not my favorite player in the draft personally, but NHL teams are risk-averse and love safe picks. I'll be shocked if he is available at 9.

Hope you’re right, and Geunther is gone before we pick.  

• Haha 2