The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Think he'll be a good player Alf... Maybe not a position of need, but think he'll be a good player nevertheless...

If he’s BPA on Benning’s list, and we get him, okay.  Just hoping the BPA (on the Canuck’s list) at nine is either a centre or a D.  

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think anyone in this draft will be playing in the NHL next year.  Michigan will have a powerhouse team next year with Power, Beniers and Johnson.  They have a great shot at winning the NCAA Championship.

Michigan will also have Luke Hughes. So that’s a pretty stacked team.

• Vintage 1

I think that because Benning said he likes 9 people in the draft he will be picking someone in the consensus 10

wont be reaching for the Ceulmans,Lambos,Svetchkovs, 

I think that LA picks a defenseman if one of the top 4 are there (Clarke, Edvinsson, Hughes) They have a ton of forward prospects 

With that reasoning we won’t be getting a defenseman 

Will be between Mctavish, Johnson, Lysell, Guenther, Eklund 

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think anyone in this draft will be playing in the NHL next year.  Michigan will have a powerhouse team next year with Power, Beniers and Johnson.  They have a great shot at winning the NCAA Championship.

I could totally see mctavish make the team if we draft him to be pur 4th line center.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I’m sure that he would at least offer his opinion.
While we’re speculating…Ian Clark said in his interview that he likes to see the team draft a goalie 2 out of every 3 drafts so…

Nice.

I would actually like to draft a goalie in every draft.  Preferably not with the 1st round pick though.  Keep developing the next bright young goalie.  Goalies like Defenceman usually take longer to develop.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Today, my thoughts are:

Try to get one of these guys...

1. Beniers

2. Eklund

3. McTavish

and if that doesn't work out,  go with the D:

4. Clarke

5. Hughes

6. Edvinsson

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hammertime said:

I wonder if the Brad Shaw hiring will play into who they pick. Maybe they reach for Ceulemans or Heimosalmi? (Pure speculation) I think its very possible that many teams draft boards are very different from the rankings we see online. 

I think you're right that teams' lists will vary greatly and there's going to be some big surprises on draft day, but I don't see any connection to Ceulemans or Heimosalmi for the Canucks. No scouts based directly out of Finland, and the only picks directly out of Finland have come 3rd and 5th round. And in all Benning's tenure they've never drafted directly out of AJHL.

The M.O. since Benning has been there seems to be to pick the riskier players that fall. Unless one of the obvious top guns fall, best guesses for Canucks will be Lucius, Johnson or Lysell. But like I keep saying, we will have a bit better idea of what teams are thinking on average when Bob's final list comes out.

Josh Bell - FC Hockey -  "Highlighted by arguably the best shot in this class, Lucius is an intelligent player who knows how to get to the net and get the puck over the goal line."

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects -  "He’s large, he’s active, he shows up in big-game moments. Already looking overly comfortable in the USHL. The sky’s the limit here."

In the 2020/21 season:

USNDT Jrs. - 13 goals (18 pts) in 12 games

USNDT U18 - 13 goals (20 pts) in 13 games

Lucius was in the Top 10 for some time earlier, but an inuury dropped him in the rankings. He could be a great pick over time.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I feel like everyone quoting Benning about his "top 9" quote are maybe taking it too literally? What's he gonna say? "We like 7 players in this draft" and either tip his hand he wants to trade up, or put the fan base off that he won't get the guy he wants? Lol. Not picking on anyone, just something I find funny.

I think HoH's point on not only who has the most pro-translatable game, but also who the Canucks themselves feel they can get the most out of, is going to be the determining factor in how our pick goes.

Every year, there is players who are viewed as slam dunks who wash out, and there is the late round gems that everyone wonders "how the heck did he go so low!?" It all comes down to development. I honestly never thought about it much, but I'm really starting to appreciate HoH's viewpoint of what specific teams have done in the past, but also to think about what each team has been able to develop. When you think about it, in the last 15+ years, Canucks have done best developing hard working, 2-way players, such as Kesler, Burrows, Horvat, Hansen etc. Alot of our "skilled" picks have flopped ie. Schroeder, Grabner, Shinkaruk etc. Of course, there is exceptions, and we have done very well recently with skill, but I'm looking more at the percentages.

With this in mind, I am starting to be a lot more open to the idea of Sillinger or Svechkov with our pick, player types that we have had long-term success developing. But, with our more recent success with skill, like Petey, Boes, Hogs, I can also appreciate that being applied to Johnson or Lysell. Where it gets murky, is we don't have a lot of success with our drafted D. However, we haven't drafted a lot of D first round, so I think it skews the percentages a bit. If all the top D are gone, I feel I could honestly get behind almost any forward pick after that ie. Johnson, Lysell, Sillinger, Svechkov, Raty as we have a bit of a proven record for developing them into valuable pieces.

I know others have said it, but thanks @HighOnHockey for your valuable insights. Speaking for myself, your getting me to think a lot more big picture, rather than looking at a more individual level with prospects.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Guenther is a much better prospect and will almost certainly go much earlier than most here seem to think. I've questioned his offensive upside in the past, but by that I just mean I don't think he's a superstar. I've made the comparisons to Max Pacioretty and Kyle Palmieri. If you're primarily interested in upside, that might not sound all that exciting, but his floor has to be considered one of, if not the highest, in the draft.

His stick skills and skating aren't quite elite, but they are both pretty high end. But what sets him apart is his pro-adaptable offensive game. Skill is one aspect of creating offense, but hockey IQ and deceptiveness are also key in the NHL. I talk about Simon Edvinsson's problems defending high-skill, high-IQ offensive players because they're good at creating deception and misdirection and he has a bad penchance to bite and get lost in the shuffle. Well at U18s he looked pretty good for the most part but the one guy who absolutely had his number was Guenther.

Not my favorite player in the draft personally, but NHL teams are risk-averse and love safe picks. I'll be shocked if he is available at 9.

guenther wouldn’t make it past the Cali teams if he was sliding. I agree he won’t be available at 9

How about a double trade up?

Canucks trade Redwings 9th + MDP + 3rd for 6th. Draft one of powers, edvinsson, Hughes, Clarke. 

Canucks trade Rangers Schmidt or Myers + 2nd for 15th. Draft one of Lambos or Ceulemans. 

If we get the RHD's, in 2 years time. 

Hughes Clarke 

Rathbone Ceulemans 

Juolevi Myers/schmidt

That's an elite young defensive core

7 minutes ago, XxNaslundxX said:

How about a double trade up?

Canucks trade Redwings 9th + MDP + 3rd for 6th. Draft one of powers, edvinsson, Hughes, Clarke. 

Canucks trade Rangers Schmidt or Myers + 2nd for 15th. Draft one of Lambos or Ceulemans. 

If we get the RHD's, in 2 years time. 

Hughes Clarke 

Rathbone Ceulemans 

Juolevi Myers/schmidt

That's an elite young defensive core

Red Wings do this to draft the goalie? Perhaps... 

I’d be happy with that trade if Benning feels that the player is worth it. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Today, my thoughts are:

1. Beniers

2. Eklund

3. McTavish

4. Clarke

5. Hughes

6. Edvinsson

And if those six are gone, who then?  Off the board a bit for Lambos, or Svechkov?

I actually had a dream the other night that Canucks drafted at 9 a player that starts with a L , I’m assuming it’s Lysell.

And also that we traded boeser for a early 20

first round pick plus more

lol You know your obsession is bad when your dreaming about the draft

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Red Wings do this to draft the goalie? Perhaps... 

I’d be happy with that trade if Benning feels that the player is worth it. 

I would ONLY consider moving up if our scouts are real high on Clarke and he has fallen out of the top 5. I would then try to attach someone like Roussel and maybe OJ instead of Mikey D, feel like we should keep him and hope he can be a cheap back up G option for us in the near future. 

We really can't afford to move up, if anything we should move down a spot or 2 at a time to gain an extra 3rd rounder or something. Need as many irons in the fire as possible this draft imo, add to the prospect pool now as we may only have 1 more so so season before we really start to take off...that is the hope anyway!

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And if those six are gone, who then?  Off the board a bit for Lambos, or Svechkov?

I would pick Svech if I had to choose between the 2. C is a much bigger area of need and a nice luxury to have down the road. We have some LHD already and we can still take flyers on LHD in later rounds but this 1st round and 2nd round pick should try and be very position specific if the right players are there when we select or its not a huge reach to draft a certain player maybe a bit early

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Today, my thoughts are:

1. Beniers

2. Eklund

3. McTavish

4. Clarke

5. Hughes

6. Edvinsson

Most of these guys will be gone by 9.There should be one available to the Canucks though.

Mac T isnt even rated in the top 10 anymore, he'll probably go around 10-13 OA.

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

I think you're right that teams' lists will vary greatly and there's going to be some big surprises on draft day, but I don't see any connection to Ceulemans or Heimosalmi for the Canucks. No scouts based directly out of Finland, and the only picks directly out of Finland have come 3rd and 5th round. And in all Benning's tenure they've never drafted directly out of AJHL.

The M.O. since Benning has been there seems to be to pick the riskier players that fall. Unless one of the obvious top guns fall, best guesses for Canucks will be Lucius, Johnson or Lysell. But like I keep saying, we will have a bit better idea of what teams are thinking on average when Bob's final list comes out.

So if we are solely doing on drafting patterns and locations of our scouting strongholds. Edvinsson, Lysell, Sillinger, are the most likely targets maybe Svechkov if Chibisov likes him.