The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hope you’re right, and Geunther is gone before we pick.  

Just one month ago Bob Mackenzie did his mock and had Guenther 2nd overall on his board. I think people on this board are throwing massive shade on the winger prospects in this draft. We all want one of those top 4 dmen to be there but if those guys are gone and you reach on another one it could be Juolevi over Tkachuk all over again. I hope Benning learned from that and selects BPA whichever the position turns out to be.

3 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Michigan will also have Luke Hughes. So that’s a pretty stacked team.

Really, I didn't know that.  Michigan will be the favourites for sure.  All 4 of those players will certainly go back to make a run at an NCAA Championship before they move to the NHL.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I could totally see mctavish make the team if we draft him to be pur 4th line center.

Nah, he goes back for another year.  I don't want him wasted in the press box like what happened to Horvat and Virtanen and playing 7 minutes a night on the 4th line.  He's better off going back to junior for another year and playing big minutes on the top line.

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nah, he goes back for another year.  I don't want him wasted in the press box like what happened to Horvat and Virtanen and playing 7 minutes a night on the 4th line.  He's better off going back to junior for another year and playing big minutes on the top line.

I disagree. Practice and playing with the team would imo be better for him and the team. 

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I disagree. Practice and playing with the team would imo be better for him and the team. 

Not when you're 18.  Only top draft picks step in at 18 and contribute.  9th overall picks do not go immediately to the NHL.  I don't think there has been one 9th overall pick in NHL history that has jumped immediately into the NHL at 18.  

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not when you're 18.  Only top draft picks step in at 18 and contribute.  9th overall picks do not go immediately to the NHL.  I don't think there has been one 9th overall pick in NHL history that has jumped immediately into the NHL at 18.  

Horvat

Who would be best for the Canucks? I'll assume that Power and Beniers are long gone.

(stylistic comparables I've read)

GUENTHER - Tyler Seguin

JOHNSON - Mikael Granlund

EDVINSSON - Oliver Ekman-Larsson

CLARKE - Erik Karlsson

WALLSTEDT - Carey Price

McTAVISH - Jeff Carter

LYSELL - Mitch Marner

LUCIUS - Derek Stepan

EKLUND - Henrik Zetterberg

SILLINGER - Mark Scheifele

LAMBOS - Alex Pietrangelo

SVECHKOV - Phillip Danault

HUGHES - Tyson Barrie

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Horvat

Horvat went back to London after he was drafted.  He came back the following year at 19 and made the team.  I can see McTavish doing the same thing.  If we draft McTavish I don't mind signing Sutter to a one year deal to fill the void unless they move Miller to 3C.

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mikael Sergachev played 4 games at age 18.

Other than that it’s extremely rare.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So if we are solely doing on drafting patterns and locations of our scouting strongholds. Edvinsson, Lysell, Sillinger, are the most likely targets maybe Svechkov if Chibisov likes him.

I wouldn't count on a Russian. Would have been pretty tough to pass on Podkolzin. Benning definitely won't shy away from a Russian, but I don't think its his go-to. Also note that they've had a couple massive hits out of NCAA in Demko and Hughes, and from USHL/NTDP in Boeser and Hughes. Hughes was even from the same school as Kent Johnson. So Johnson and Lucius have to be considered candidates. 

I was thinking Sillinger initially too, but someone pointed out that they've had more of a tendency toward skill and skating lately, so maybe not (Sillinger has Pierre Dorion pick written all over him).

Also should be mentioned that just because we have a tendency from an area doesn't mean we will pick there; just that we have a more trusted evaluation there one way or another. If Gradin is high on Edvinsson or Lysell, they will be very high on Benning's list. If Gradin doesn't like them, Benning won't touch them with a ten foot pole.

I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself with that last point, but of course it isn't "solely" based on tendency, and I am still trying to learn how to find the right balance. I mentioned being shocked when Bob Murray and the Ducks picked Zegras because they had almost never picked from NTDP. No matter how strong a pattern is, it is going to get broken sometime. It isn't perfect, but its the best predictive strategy we have as fans. And Benning has every reason to be hesitant to trust his OHL and WHL scouts with another high pick after the Juolevi and Virtanen fiascos.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

David Pastrnak went 25th overall and played 46 games with 27 points in his draft year. There are always some exceptions.

58 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

How many months different? Watching how extremely mature he is in the interviews ive watched of him and the size already of a NHLer i see no reason why he doesnt get a good and educated look to make the team.

Reading you're guys discussion on McTavish have they changed the rules ? if the Canucks drafted him and he came to camp and showed real well couldn't they play him up to 10 games and than send him to Junior after that   

Edited by Nurnge

24 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I wouldn't count on a Russian. Would have been pretty tough to pass on Podkolzin. Benning definitely won't shy away from a Russian, but I don't think its his go-to. Also note that they've had a couple massive hits out of NCAA in Demko and Hughes, and from USHL/NTDP in Boeser and Hughes. Hughes was even from the same school as Kent Johnson. So Johnson and Lucius have to be considered candidates. 

I was thinking Sillinger initially too, but someone pointed out that they've had more of a tendency toward skill and skating lately, so maybe not (Sillinger has Pierre Dorion pick written all over him).

Also should be mentioned that just because we have a tendency from an area doesn't mean we will pick there; just that we have a more trusted evaluation there one way or another. If Gradin is high on Edvinsson or Lysell, they will be very high on Benning's list. If Gradin doesn't like them, Benning won't touch them with a ten foot pole.

I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself with that last point, but of course it isn't "solely" based on tendency, and I am still trying to learn how to find the right balance. I mentioned being shocked when Bob Murray and the Ducks picked Zegras because they had almost never picked from NTDP. No matter how strong a pattern is, it is going to get broken sometime. It isn't perfect, but its the best predictive strategy we have as fans. And Benning has every reason to be hesitant to trust his OHL and WHL scouts with another high pick after the Juolevi and Virtanen fiascos.

Some of this post is bang on. You’ll break a drafting tendency to land a player that you think is special. Like the Ducks with Zegras, they might not generally draft from the US national under 18s but you can break that habit for a special talent 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

7th overall, but Jeff Skinner comes to mind off the top of my head. 

• Thanks 1

The way i see it with mctavish is sure hes 18 but most of the kids that are drafted have not yet have the body for the NHL thats why those 2 years or so are good for them to grow more before they come. With mctavish that’s something u literally dont have to wait for. Hes 6’1 and almost 210 pounds. Sure he can go and dominate the OHL like he did as a 16 year old or he can come and learn about the NHL, weight gaining, defense, offense, real NHL coaching to further his development. Being used as a 4th line guy with limited minutes but top notch everything else is better for him than anything the OHL can offer him atm.

10 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Some of this post is bang on. You’ll break a drafting tendency to land a player that you think is special. Like the Ducks with Zegras, they might not generally draft from the US national under 18s but you can break that habit for a special talent 

Is Zegras that good?  Is he a player a team can win playoff games with as their key guy?  Imo he’s a perimeter fancy guy, who will struggle (like Marner) in the playoffs.  Sure he will put up points when there’s lots of open ice, but once he needs to compete for his ice, I see him fading away.  I’m way happier with Podkolzin.  He’s already proven he’s a playoff guy. 

Didn't Benning mention there were 9 players that they really liked are were in a class of their own? (If someone could share that that would be fantastic)

I would have to assume that these are the 9 (in no particular order)

1. Power D 
  2. Eklund LW
  3. Edvinsson D 
  4. McTavish C
  5. Johnson C
  6. Hughes D
  7. Guenther RW
  8. Beniers C
  9. Clarke D 

• Like 1