The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

On 6/11/2021 at 12:51 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

I think you are pretty off with your assessment of Johnson's defensive game. It is actually pretty decent, he has played center his whole career before this year and probably only cause Beniers was there. Attached is one scouting report on his defense.

Defensive Game

Johnson is also good in the defensive end of the ice. He does a good job of bringing pack pressure against the rush. Johnson also understands his responsibilities in his own end, supporting the defence down low and working to cut off the cycle. He is good positionally and keeps him body between his man and the net. Johnson uses his stick to cut down passing lanes as well as to poke check opponents. This is another area where lack of muscle on his frame is a detriment right now though, as he can sometimes be pushed around by bigger opponents.  When his team is able to retrieve the puck, Johnson is able to quickly transition to offence and creates opportunities by getting up the ice quickly both with and without the puck.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2021/04/26/kent-johnson-scouting-report/

The main concern about Johnson is he has a Petey Bod, but it hasnt stopped him from being efective. If he can add more muscle with another year of college, Johnson could be a dynamic player at 180lbs.

Johnson was a centre prior to moving to defense?

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true.  If the scouts determine he is indeed ready for the NHL next year then he is probably not available at #9 anyways.  He will go top 5.

That and the fact that he plays a premium position does point that way.  If it means that one of Eklund, Lysell or Johnson falls to us then great.  Getting an eventual top line winger out of this draft would be a win.  We can scrape something together at 3C in the mean time. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

That and the fact that he plays a premium position does point that way.  If it means that one of Eklund, Lysell or Johnson falls to us then great.  Getting an eventual top line winger out of this draft would be a win.  We can scrape something together at 3C in the mean time. 

The more I think about it the more I feel McTavish will be long gone before we pick...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Logic and probability says no.  

Hedman would’ve been rated head and shoulders number 1 with a bullet if he was in this draft, and I’m not even talking about hindsight here.  

Hedman was a can’t miss franchise draft choice, Edvinsson isn’t. 

There may not even be a #1 D man in this draft..Definitely top pairing though..

12 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I think that because Benning said he likes 9 people in the draft he will be picking someone in the consensus 10

wont be reaching for the Ceulmans,Lambos,Svetchkovs, 

I think that LA picks a defenseman if one of the top 4 are there (Clarke, Edvinsson, Hughes) They have a ton of forward prospects 

With that reasoning we won’t be getting a defenseman 

Will be between Mctavish, Johnson, Lysell, Guenther, Eklund 

If Eklund is available and Clarke isn't, I believe that the Canucks pick Eklund so fast.

This draft is going to be a wild crap shoot, no team has been able to really watch many of these players so every pick is going to be a real gamble. Our team desperately needs a decent top-4 shutdown defenceman with some size, or a decent center to eventually replace Bo, and someone who is aware defensively who could slot in at 3C. Basically, just pick the BPA.

There are some decent centers who may fall to us like Kent Johnson or Chaz Lucius who both have a bit of creativity (Johnson more a playmaker, Lucius a shooter), but Johnson is probably a bit safer defensively and has a better 2-way game which could be useful in the 3C role and slowly evolve into our future 2nd line center. On defence, Clarke may fall to us and is quite tempting - a right handed puck moving defenceman with some size. I think we should really reach for someone like Edvinsson who looks like a perfect Edler-replacement; not too flashy defensively but amazing size, great reach and defensive stick-work. Sadly a lot of the other guys are lefties so we'll be stacked with Hughes, Juolevi and another lefty (unless we can convert Juolevi to his off-side?), but Edvinsson has to be snatched if he's available. Of course Power would be a perfect fit, as would Luke Hughes, as they've both got much more defensive upside, but Lambos is another defensive-minded leftie who may be around our range.

Lots of options, it'll really depend on what JB's scouting team has unearthed about these guys but it may be a home-run, may be a flop this season for a lot of teams.

On 6/10/2021 at 9:39 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Okay, maybe paying a little high, but getting a Top 3 pick at the Draft is crazy expensive

I’m not sure that this draft is worth trying to trade for a top three pick. 

13 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Unless Det picks Wallstedt. They are rumored to be looking for a goalie and they are early enough in their rebuild that it makes sense.  He is Swedish btw which fits your Euro mantra. Makes sense too for them to trade down to 9 with us so we can get Clarke (if still available) and give them the 9th plus. Possible. And btw Dhalliwal is almost always wrong.

Unless Detroit go with Beniers or Hughes. New chief North American scout Ryan Rezmierski was longtime DPP for the USNTDP, and was also a coach for MU, so there are pretty strong connections to those two in particular. As I mentioned earlier, I agree it is most likely they pick from Europe, but far from a sure thing. Yzerman will want to start relying on his own hires.

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I’m not sure that this draft is worth trying to trade for a top three pick. 

I agree, Canucks could still somehow end up with Hughes or Clarke at #9. A bit of a longshot, but teams ahead of VAN have their own plans. Worst case, I think, is that VAN ends up with Edvinsson, McTavish or Guenther.  Not too shabby.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, Canucks could still somehow end up with Hughes or Clarke at #9. A bit of a longshot, but teams ahead of VAN have their own plans. Worst case, I think, is that VAN ends up with Edvinsson, McTavish or Guenther.  Not too shabby.

If Clarke falls to us at 9th, that would be a &^@#ing steal

But what would have to happen for him to fall to 9th? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

McTavish or Guenther please. I’d pass on Edvinsson. 

26 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

McTavish or Guenther please. I’d pass on Edvinsson. 

Think it was rick dahliwal at some point shared the Canucks are high on McTavish and Edvinsson.

I’m not high on Edvinsson either but if Gradin green lights picking him and he’s there at 9 we take him and run 100%.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

If Clarke falls to us at 9th, that would be a &^@#ing steal

But what would have to happen for him to fall to 9th? 

I did a mock draft with him sliding to 9 but it’s unlikely. Imo he is the best player in the draft. 

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Think it was rick dahliwal at some point shared the Canucks are high on McTavish and Edvinsson.

I’m not high on Edvinsson either but if Gradin green lights picking him and he’s there at 9 we take him and run 100%.  

Trust Gradin that much eh. 

What about if McTavish and Edvinsson are available at 9? Who do you choose and why? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1