The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

14 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'm more focused on C and D if we are drafting top 10. Looking at fwds good teams are built down the middle.

For me I really like Svechkovs game he and Podkolzin united would  be a dream come true 3rd line. 

Chaz is just an absolute snipe show I probably have him too high but then again I might not have him high enough. 

Raty again much like Svechkov he's the guy we need 200ft C. He has struggled a bit this year after being ranked 1st OA. This year is a wacky one for a kid playing in Liiga during a pandemic. I think he's much better than his current ranking what impresses me most is how mature his game is his positioning and play away from the puck his game seems to really transfer well to the pros coaches will love him. He's a fantastic playmaker which we need. 

Guenther is a human highlight reel I should probably have him in Chaz spot as he is a much better skater.  However RW is pretty crowded for us. So that's the main reason he didn't make my top 12.

On Raty, there were plenty of smart hockey people saying last summer that no way would Raty even be in the race for first overall. It was just Craig Button and a few others prominent voices pushing the hype. I have to admit, I bought it at first. I only saw him a couple games at World Juniors, and I thought he looked good enough so I took the experts at their word. But then I read a couple sources I trust saying to take a second look. And sure enough, then came this season. I don't mean to hate on him (maybe I'm just bitter that I was fooled and now over-correcting), but there's just nothing that exciting there. Maybe this will come back to bite me, but I don't believe he's as good a defensive forward as Svechkov, Beniers, Sillinger or Guenther. But yes, he's a solid 200-foot player with a pro-style game and well-rounded arsenal of good, but not elite skills. To me that just sounds like the recipe for... an NHL player.

On Lucius, you're right it's really tough to call, given he missed most of the season. Looking at recent track records for players who missed most of their draft years and still went very high, I can recall off the top of my head Alex Galchenyuk, Ryan Murray and Brett Connelly. I'm generally with you though, huge fan of the player from what I've seen. Reminds me a little bit of Brayden Point. I would also agree that Guenther is the better skater, but there's lots to like about Lucius' skating. Three different reasons he could be an elite NHL goal-scorer: 1. excellent shot, 2. offensive awareness - he has that uncanny knack for hiding in traffic then suddenly slipping into holes for a scoring chance, and 3. closely related to (2), skating agility - he's so quick and smooth, and able to pivot suddenly into openings; slippery, you might call it. And I also think he's so much better a play-maker than the stats show, he just scores so many goals because the plays he make tend to be give and goes that come back to himself for the finish.

• Cheers 1

Full disclosure, I haven't really watched any of these players.

Clarke would easily be the best organizational fit for us. Adding a young RHD that we should be able to build a second pairing around would be invaluable. That gives us Hughes on one pair and Clarke on the other, both playing with complimentary partners to round out to the top 4. After that it looks like Rathbone and Juolevi will be in a dogfight for the right to be the young defender on the third pairing for the near future. Hopefully one of them would be able to play more minutes effectively with Clarke down the line. Clarke would also take a lot of pressure off of Woo, who is our only real RHD prospect. He's showing well, but still a couple years away most likely. That suddenly becomes an influx of 2-3 young defenseman over 1-3 years, which is great. 

Thinking about the draft in general, there were rumours back in 2019 that Zegras was the guy the Canucks wanted. They ended up with Podkolzin who looks pretty good, but he's a different style of player. If they wanted Zegras back then, it would appear as though some high end skill and creativity would be in consideration now since it wasn't addressed at the 2020 draft. That puts a name like Johnson in my head as someone who fits that bill. 

This draft seems exciting but also dreadful with all the uncertainty. Usually you can focus in on 3-5 or so guys at our spot, but it really could go down any way this year. 

• Upvote 1

Prospect of the day. This is a kid to watch for me. We could really use a playmaker. If the Canucks manage to win their way outside a top 10 pick this year. This kids name will be one I will be listening for with each pick that passes.  One of the younger players in the draft too.

Arguably one of the best passers of this draft class, Pastujov’s confidence and poise with the puck is already at an elite level. His passes are crisp and clean, and he anticipates his teammates well. Pastujov can take the puck end-to-end, and defenders will struggle to push him off pucks. His ability to separate himself from opponents and create space for himself is excellent.

He’s also a dual scoring threat — Pastujov will either pass off to one of his teammates, or put the puck in the back of the net himself. Even more deadly is his ability to find teammates when not on the rush. Pastujov can turn defenders inside out with spinorama or behind-the-back passes through the crease for his teammates to tap in.

Pastujov also reads the ice well and puts himself in opportune positions when he doesn’t have the puck. A strong skater, Pastujov can drive to open areas of the ice to receive passes from teammates. His agility and edgework gives him solid lateral mobility, and Pastujov can change directions quickly while maintaining control of the puck. His stride could benefit from more power and explosiveness from his first few steps, but when Pastujov gets moving, he’s difficult to catch.

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Jan. 23rd: "Pastujov is a goal scorer with offensive creativity. The 17-year-old leads the USA Hockey National Team Development Program Under-18 team with 30 points (16 goals, 14 assists) and four power-play goals in 18 games."

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - Jan. 21st: "Pastujov is incredibly clever with the puck and can play either the power or finesse game. He is a quick skater with a clean stride but his biggest assets are his hands and hockey sense. He simply knows how to get open, exploit opposing weaknesses, and create an open shooting or passing lane."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Nov. 27th: "Another player who presents dual threat ability. Excellent hands and a big-time release."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Oct. 8th: "He stands out because of his skill and playmaking. He is the kind of player who can hold onto pucks for an extra second to make a play, can run a power play and has the hands to beat defenders 1-on-1 consistently."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 14th: "Pastujov is one of the better passers in the draft and he consistently makes plays through several defenders to lead his teammates into space. He’s also one of the younger players in the draft despite already being fairly physically mature. "

Dat hustle. Somehow this isn't offside? 

https://smahtscouting.com/2020/12/20/scouting-report-sasha-pastujov/

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/512165/sasha-pastujov

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Prospect of the day. This is a kid to watch for me. We could really use a playmaker. If the Canucks manage to win their way outside a top 10 pick this year. This kids name will be one I will be listening for with each pick that passes.  One of the younger players in the draft too.

Arguably one of the best passers of this draft class, Pastujov’s confidence and poise with the puck is already at an elite level. His passes are crisp and clean, and he anticipates his teammates well. Pastujov can take the puck end-to-end, and defenders will struggle to push him off pucks. His ability to separate himself from opponents and create space for himself is excellent.

He’s also a dual scoring threat — Pastujov will either pass off to one of his teammates, or put the puck in the back of the net himself. Even more deadly is his ability to find teammates when not on the rush. Pastujov can turn defenders inside out with spinorama or behind-the-back passes through the crease for his teammates to tap in.

Pastujov also reads the ice well and puts himself in opportune positions when he doesn’t have the puck. A strong skater, Pastujov can drive to open areas of the ice to receive passes from teammates. His agility and edgework gives him solid lateral mobility, and Pastujov can change directions quickly while maintaining control of the puck. His stride could benefit from more power and explosiveness from his first few steps, but when Pastujov gets moving, he’s difficult to catch.

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Jan. 23rd: "Pastujov is a goal scorer with offensive creativity. The 17-year-old leads the USA Hockey National Team Development Program Under-18 team with 30 points (16 goals, 14 assists) and four power-play goals in 18 games."

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - Jan. 21st: "Pastujov is incredibly clever with the puck and can play either the power or finesse game. He is a quick skater with a clean stride but his biggest assets are his hands and hockey sense. He simply knows how to get open, exploit opposing weaknesses, and create an open shooting or passing lane."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Nov. 27th: "Another player who presents dual threat ability. Excellent hands and a big-time release."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - Oct. 8th: "He stands out because of his skill and playmaking. He is the kind of player who can hold onto pucks for an extra second to make a play, can run a power play and has the hands to beat defenders 1-on-1 consistently."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 14th: "Pastujov is one of the better passers in the draft and he consistently makes plays through several defenders to lead his teammates into space. He’s also one of the younger players in the draft despite already being fairly physically mature. "

Dat hustle. Somehow this isn't offside? 

https://smahtscouting.com/2020/12/20/scouting-report-sasha-pastujov/

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/512165/sasha-pastujov

Great post but C or RDH in the 1st round (imo) and Iam glad JB is making the pick - no more term to FAs over 30.  

22 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Great post but C or RDH in the 1st round (imo) and Iam glad JB is making the pick - no more term to FAs over 30.  

While agree once we get outside the top 10 it's highly likely the top C's Eklund, Beniers, Johnson, Svechkov and D's Clarke,  Luke, Edvinsson, Power, will be snapped up. 

There are other needs the team has they could choose to address.

like a high end playmaker as we have some talented shooters in our top 9 and a dearth of sauce. 

or You really can't go wrong with a goalie named WALL....... 

There could be some high end wingers still floating around Guenther Lysell.

There are other options that may be better than grabbing say Morrow or Ceulemans with our 1st just because they play the desired position. 

If we draft outside top 10 I would highly consider Wallstedt if he’s there. 

He’d be about the same age difference as Demko when we drafted him and had Marky. 7 year difference. 

Would be a good succession plan and would solidify our goaltending for this decade and going into 2030. 

Definitely a super long term pick. 

13 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we draft outside top 10 I would highly consider Wallstedt if he’s there. 

He’d be about the same age difference as Demko when we drafted him and had Marky. 7 year difference. 

Would be a good succession plan and would solidify our goaltending for this decade and going into 2030. 

Definitely a super long term pick. 

I don't think Benning has the luxury of making a long term pick. Demko looks like he could be a Vezina candidate in the near future. We need to put the best possible team in front of him, rather than looking for a replacement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I don't think Benning has the luxury of making a long term pick. Demko looks like he could be a Vezina candidate in the near future. We need to put the best possible team in front of him, rather than looking for a replacement. 

It wouldn’t be looking for a replacement anytime soon. 

I wouldn’t expect Wallstedt to jump in and play for a few years and he’d start as a backup I reckon. 

Demko is 25 and Wallstedt is 18. By the time Wallstedt would be 25 Demko would be 32. 

It would be more of a succession plan than anything. After the top 10 the draft falls off so I wouldn’t be opposed to him if he were outside the top 10. 

That said yeah this only really makes sense super long term. Not sure Benning can afford to think that ahead. 

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It wouldn’t be looking for a replacement anytime soon. 

I wouldn’t expect Wallstedt to jump in and play for a few years and he’d start as a backup I reckon. 

Demko is 25 and Wallstedt is 18. By the time Wallstedt would be 25 Demko would be 32. 

It would be more of a succession plan than anything. After the top 10 the draft falls off so I wouldn’t be opposed to him if he were outside the top 10. 

That said yeah this only really makes sense super long term. Not sure Benning can afford to think that ahead. 

Yeah I'm not saying it would be a bad pick, but Benning is fighting for his job. We have more immediate concerns than at goalie. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Yeah I'm not saying it would be a bad pick, but Benning is fighting for his job. We have more immediate concerns than at goalie. 

Yeah I understand that.  We definitely should be looking to draft a good goalie prospect within the next 1-3 drafts. Demko is getting old enough where we should. 

7 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

but Benning is fighting for his job.

Just what evidence do you have that states J.B. has changed anything; in order to 'fight for his job"?

Over his time here, I've seen nothing to indicate he has ever been worried about his gig, and not worried about making the team better.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Just what evidence do you have that states J.B. has changed anything; in order to 'fight for his job"?

Over his time here, I've seen nothing to indicate he has ever been worried about his gig, and not worried about making the team better.

He's had the position of GM of the Canucks for 7 years, and while his drafting has been spectacular, team success has left some to be desired.
Now, I have been an ardent supporter of Benning, including early in the season when fans were calling for his head, but I'm sure he's feeling some pressure.

1 hour ago, NaveJoseph said:

He's had the position of GM of the Canucks for 7 years, and while his drafting has been spectacular, team success has left some to be desired.
Now, I have been an ardent supporter of Benning, including early in the season when fans were calling for his head, but I'm sure he's feeling some pressure.

Feeling pressure is different than 'fighting for his job".

Any G.M. that protects his job at the cost of orginizational strenght will have a very difficult time finding future employement in the league.

20 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

almost like it takes a team a long time to go from the bottom to the top.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, gurn said:

Feeling pressure is different than 'fighting for his job".

Any G.M. that protects his job at the cost of orginizational strenght will have a very difficult time finding future employement in the league.

Maybe I used too strong of a phrase, but let's not get into semantics here. 

I wasn't trying to suggest JB will make desperation moves that destroy our future, only that pressure will influence him to think more short term. 

• Upvote 1