The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

10 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I dunno man.

Price, Flower, Brodeur, Luongo, Fuhr, Barasso, Rask, Dubnyk, Vasilevski, Spencer Knight looks like a beaut. All 1st round picks.

Rick Dipetro is more the exception than the rule.

I do like Sillinger as well though I shaved him and Svechkov off the list for simplicity as they are a bit more reaching than Lysell, Edvinsson.

All the starting goalies in the final 4 are 1st round picks (Fleury, Price, Varlamov, Vasi). I'm guessing that he doesn't fall past the Sharks at 7, but obviously I could be dead wrong. 

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Is that a vote for Wallstedt then?

You go to any lottery teams hockey forums, and picking a goalie with your 1st round pick never goes over very well with the fanbase.

However, as another poster alluded to, it could be the most defining pick your team could make.

7 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

If we had stuck with marky instead of demmer than I would say sure, draft a goalie. I just don’t see us taking a goalie that early when we have way more pressing needs. Demko is just starting to reach stardom, I don’t see why we would want to try to find his replacement at this stage. 

We aren't drafting based on current needs. We are drafting BPA regardless of position. Benning has stated this and also said he has 9 guys he really likes, so if Wallstedt is on that list and he's there, he may get chosen.

As for why we may pick a goalie. It isn't to replace Demko necessarily. We don't know where DiPietro is at in terms of NHL status yet and (knock on wood) something could happen to Demko (he has had two concussions already). If Demko is still at the top of his game when Wallstedt is ready (I expect at least 3 seasons), then we have the option of moving Demko or having Wallstedt as a backup. We have seen teams like NYI with Sorokin and Minnesota with Kaaponen, etc where there will be a transition. Another poster brought up Tampa having Vasilevskiy, which allowed them to move Bishop, which eventually acquired them a RHD in Cernak. So if Wallstedt is the BPA, then you're getting the best value for that pick and can work from a position of strength to fill a position of need (can move DiPietro sooner to fill a need now or make a move down the road when Wallstedt is ready).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I think the odds that McTavish will be available at our pick are VERY high. I don't think either of the big name D will be available - making McTavish our selection.

Pettersson

Horvat

McTavish

Hola!!!!!

I think so to thats why ive been focusing on him a lot and reading as much as i can about him. We really lacking centers after in prospects. If we take mcT our next 2 pics have to be RHD where theres quite a few to choose from in the aecond and third rounds.

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

I think so to thats why ive been focusing on him a lot and reading as much as i can about him. We really lacking centers after in prospects. If we take mcT our next 2 pics have to be RHD where theres quite a few to choose from in the aecond and third rounds.

I think we'll be pretty lucky here. We need a D man or a centre, and McTavish at 9 will be our last opportunity at either.

• Vintage 2

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m hoping Wallstadt, Gunther, and Johnson are all gone before we puck.  Not a fan of picking any of those three.  

Wallstedt won't be available. I'm not high on Johnson. Although Guenther doesn't fill one of our more glaring positional needs, I think he'd still make a fine pick.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Wallstedt won't be available. I'm not high on Johnson. Although Guenther doesn't fill one of our more glaring positional needs, I think he'd still make a fine pick.

Why are you so sure about the Wall? Detroit to me is the big player in taking him in the top 10. My buddy who is a Wing isn't convinced they would use that pick on the top 10 on him when Cossa is also very highly rated, and will likely be available with one of their other picks.

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I think we'll be pretty lucky here. We need a D man or a centre, and McTavish at 9 will be our last opportunity at either.

Sometimes centre’s go a little earlier! This team should know that as we luckily got Quinn Hughes 7th overall with teams reaching on Kotkaniemi and Hayton.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'd be down

Pete Miller Boeser

Pearson Bo Hoglander

Motte McTavish Podkolzin

Gadjovich Lind Zac

That's starting to look like a playoff team.

Too bad Motte will be an UFA next season and Miller in 23, who knows who Seattle takes too; Zac, Gadjovich, Motte, Lind, or someone else.

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Why are you so sure about the Wall? Detroit to me is the big player in taking him in the top 10. My buddy who is a Wing isn't convinced they would use that pick on the top 10 on him when Cossa is also very highly rated, and will likely be available with one of their other picks.

I'm pretty sure that if Detroit doesn't take him then the Sharks will. 

Yzerman drafted Vasilevskiy. Maybe he drafts the next possible super-goalie in Wallstedt?

• Like 1

Just now, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm pretty sure that if Detroit doesn't take him then the Sharks will. 

Yzerman drafted Vasilevskiy. Maybe he drafts the next possible super-goalie in Wallstedt?

I didn't think of the Sharks. Guess they are in need as well. I really hope he goes before us, gives us another player to choose from instead of taking the last of first tier of players.