The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

2 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

Too bad Motte will be an UFA next season and Miller in 23, who knows who Seattle takes too; Zac, Gadjovich, Motte, Lind, or someone else.

Seattle I think takes Schmidty poo. They shouldn't have any cap issues and he's IMO BPA.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, gurn said:

Just take the best player, whatever position he plays. If that is Wallstedt, fine by me, the team could trade off Depeitro to try to fill the immediate need, or any 7 of our extra bottom 6 guys.

thats why as a GM one needs to know the trade market value of your pick, if we pick Wallstedt and he becomes a dud before we can off load him then it is a useless move

I would trade the pick if there is no one there we want

4 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

thats why as a GM one needs to know the trade market value of your pick, if we pick Wallstedt and he becomes a dud before we can off load him then it is a useless move

I would trade the pick if there is no one there we want

There's also the chance we pick him and he becomes a franchise goalie.

Just like for any position, it can be a hit or a bust pick. We could just as easily pick someone "we want" and that player could be a dud as well.

• Like 1

I keep forgetting Demko was a 2nd rounder (#36).  Imagine the amazing goaltending duo of Demko / Wallstedt under Coach Clark for years to come. 

Damn our lousy defense

EDIT - I just realized that Wallstedt would eventually like to be a starter, and so one of them would probably be traded down the road. Either one though, would fetch a hefty return, I'm sure.

Edited by NUCKER67

1 minute ago, AC Readership said:

Canucks would be foolish not to protect Nate in my opinion.

He will be 30 with a 6m cap hit for 4 more years. If you look at it from an asset MGMT standpoint it cost a 3rd to protect the rest of our kids from seattle. JB gets 6m back in the palm of his hand to put towards Pete and Huggy. Maybe JB can swing a move for Foote or Fabbro's rights and re sign Hammonic. 

IMO Schmidt makes sense for the Canucks to expose and would also make the most sense for Seattle to take. 

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We aren't drafting based on current needs. We are drafting BPA regardless of position. Benning has stated this and also said he has 9 guys he really likes, so if Wallstedt is on that list and he's there, he may get chosen.

As for why we may pick a goalie. It isn't to replace Demko necessarily. We don't know where DiPietro is at in terms of NHL status yet and (knock on wood) something could happen to Demko (he has had two concussions already). If Demko is still at the top of his game when Wallstedt is ready (I expect at least 3 seasons), then we have the option of moving Demko or having Wallstedt as a backup. We have seen teams like NYI with Sorokin and Minnesota with Kaaponen, etc where there will be a transition. Another poster brought up Tampa having Vasilevskiy, which allowed them to move Bishop, which eventually acquired them a RHD in Cernak. So if Wallstedt is the BPA, then you're getting the best value for that pick and can work from a position of strength to fill a position of need (can move DiPietro sooner to fill a need now or make a move down the road when Wallstedt is ready).

I suppose that’s a good way of looking at it. I just feel like there’s some risk involved with taking a goalie that high, especially when we have so many other areas of need. Though if you potentially get the most value, whether that’s trading either him or Demko down the line, that does make lots of sense. 

Say Benning does take Wallstedt.

Demko is 25, and assuming it takes Wallstedt 3-4 years to make the NHL (backup) - Demko will still be under 30 and in his prime.

A Demko / Wallstedt duo could be the goaltending tandem when the Canucks are ready to make that run. A few years of those two, giving them a chance to win every night. 

Then after they win a Cup, they trade one for a King's ransom. 

(I find my opinion changes constantly on who I want lol  lots of good choices)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm pretty sure that if Detroit doesn't take him then the Sharks will. 

Yzerman drafted Vasilevskiy. Maybe he drafts the next possible super-goalie in Wallstedt?

How do the first 8 shake out if Wallstedt goes in that group?

power

beniers

edvinson

wallstadt

Eklund

Hughes

Clarke

Mctavish

I see these guys as the top eight.  Their order might move around but I think they are all gone before we pick.  

Who are the highest ranked guys left for us?  Johnson, Gunther?  Who might we pick that’s a bit lower ranked, if not those two:  Lambos, Ceulemans?  

2 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

I suppose that’s a good way of looking at it. I just feel like there’s some risk involved with taking a goalie that high, especially when we have so many other areas of need. Though if you potentially get the most value, whether that’s trading either him or Demko down the line, that does make lots of sense. 

I mean if we are really boiling it down what the canucks really need is.....

1: Stay home RHD..... Jake Martin, Roman Schmidt.

2: Checking 3C..... Salminen, Helenius, 

3: Playmaker Pastujov, Koivunen

Several of these guys will likely be there for our 2nd. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Say Benning does take Wallstedt.

Demko is 25, and assuming it takes Wallstedt 3-4 years to make the NHL (backup) - Demko will still be under 30 and in his prime.

A Demko / Wallstedt duo could be the goaltending tandem when the Canucks are ready to make that run. A few years of those two, giving them a chance to win every night. 

Then after they win a Cup, they trade one for a King's ransom. 

(I find my opinion changes constantly on who I want lol  lots of good choices)

Or Wallstadt is Markstrom, who was said to be great when very young, and he doesn’t mature until he is 28.  Really don’t want us to draft a goalie with our top pick.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

power

beniers

edvinson

wallstadt

Eklund

Hughes

Clarke

Mctavish

I see these guys as the top eight.  Their order might move around but I think they are all gone before we pick.  

Who are the highest ranked guys left for us?  Johnson, Gunther?  Who might we pick that’s a bit lower ranked, if not those two:  Lambos, Ceulemans?  

if all those are gone by 9, I'd be fine with Jim trading down later in the 1st if he could pick up some extra 2nds. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

power

beniers

edvinson

wallstadt

Eklund

Hughes

Clarke

Mctavish

Been told kings are very high on both johnson and gunther. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Or Wallstadt is Markstrom, who was said to be great when very young, and he doesn’t mature until he is 28.  Really don’t want us to draft a goalie with our top pick.  

There are plenty of examples that are successes of first round goalie picks. All four goalies left in the playoffs are 1st round picks. There's risk for any other positional pick as well to become duds.

Wallstedt's ceiling is a #1 goalie, which would be very good value if he reaches that, where the other positions are available could just be middle pair dmen or middle 6 forwards. They may fill more of a "need", but then you're not potentially looking at BPA value.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if all those are gone by 9, I'd be fine with Jim trading down later in the 1st if he could pick up some extra 2nds. 

I'd agree if there's a willing trade partner, otherwise, I'd be fine picking Benning's 9th guy that he likes also.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I mean if we are really boiling it down what the canucks really need is.....

1: Stay home RHD..... Jake Martin, Roman Schmidt.

2: Checking 3C..... Salminen, Helenius, 

3: Playmaker Pastujov, Koivunen

Several of these guys will likely be there for our 2nd. 

Wouldn't mind Red Savage as well for a potential "3C". Hopefully he's available with our 4th rounder. I think our 3rd round pick may be too high to select him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Big difference in talent. Also Wallstedt apparently has the technical side already down which is where I believe most goalies need time to improve. If anything it means that Wallstedt will be NHL ready a lot sooner than most goalies.