The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Wouldn't mind Red Savage as well for a potential "3C". Hopefully he's available with our 4th rounder. I think our 3rd round pick may be too high to select him.

Draft him for his name.  That’s a great name - Red Savage.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, TGokou said:

Big difference in talent. Also Wallstedt apparently has the technical side already down which is where I believe most goalies need time to improve. If anything it means that Wallstedt will be NHL ready a lot sooner than most goalies.

Wasn’t Wallstedt kind of bad this season though, including the U18s?  

I really didn't think Wallstedt would be considered, but maybe he's one of Benning's Top 9? 

I just figured since VAN has Demko, and DiPietro and Silovs are developing, they would be set up for years, but those two might not ever become regular NHL players, let alone good enough top become starters. 

Wallstedt would ensure their goaltending is secure for many years. Teams won't do squat in the playoffs without great goaltending. 

If not Wallstedt, could they get Cossa with the 2nd?

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I really didn't think Wallstedt would be considered, but maybe he's one of Benning's Top 9? 

I just figured since VAN has Demko, and DiPietro and Silovs are developing, they would be set up for years, but those two might not ever become regular NHL players, let alone good enough top become starters. 

Wallstedt would ensure their goaltending is secure for many years. Teams won't do squat in the playoffs without great goaltending. 

If not Wallstedt, could they get Cossa with the 2nd?

Well going by what ian clark thinks hes pretty convinced that both goalies will be NHL goalies. Id take his word over most

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

In that scenario do we trade dipietro for a late first or a second and a third?  

Then we see how things play out in 2-3 years time. I'd like to see DiPietro get some NHL time to hopefully boost his value. But if a team is willing to pay a late 1st, I'd take it and run. Or perhaps a team is willing to move a player of positional need for us that is more of a known commodity.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Well going by what ian clark thinks hes pretty convinced that both goalies will be NHL goalies. Id take his word over most

You'd think Clark would publicly suggest that any of our goalies are potentially not NHL goalies? Also an NHL backup is technically an "NHL goalie" as well. With that said, I think DiPietro has what it takes as well, but I wouldn't skip on BPA because of it. If one of Benning's other "9 guys" that he likes is available as well because other teams took other players not on our list, then I guess depends on how Benning has them ranked.

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So Wallstedt is available at 9 Vancouver trades 9OA to Detroit

We get

23OA Aatu Raty

Det 2nd Heimosalmi 

We can afford to take a swing for the fences draft Stankoven/Rosen with our 2nd.

Rags 2nd  Jake Martin/Roman Schmidt (Shut down RHD)

I think if we are moving down from 9th to 23rd, we should be getting more of a known commodity that can help us sooner.

Maybe the 23rd, a 2nd rounder and Antti Tuomisto.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

He will be 30 with a 6m cap hit for 4 more years. If you look at it from an asset MGMT standpoint it cost a 3rd to protect the rest of our kids from seattle. JB gets 6m back in the palm of his hand to put towards Pete and Huggy. Maybe JB can swing a move for Foote or Fabbro's rights and re sign Hammonic. 

IMO Schmidt makes sense for the Canucks to expose and would also make the most sense for Seattle to take. 

Don't think GMJB gives up on him that easily after 1 year with the team.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

He will be 30 with a 6m cap hit for 4 more years. If you look at it from an asset MGMT standpoint it cost a 3rd to protect the rest of our kids from seattle. JB gets 6m back in the palm of his hand to put towards Pete and Huggy. Maybe JB can swing a move for Foote or Fabbro's rights and re sign Hammonic. 

IMO Schmidt makes sense for the Canucks to expose and would also make the most sense for Seattle to take. 

Don't think GMJB gives up on him that easily after 1 year with the team.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Especially when we acquired Bowey almost for the sole reason to expose him. If we are moving from Schmidt, it'll be for more value than allowing him to be a free pickup in expansion. We have alternate solutions to create cap space than to lose a legit top 4 dman for nothing.

Exactly. I don’t know why we would expose Schmidt to Seattle for nothing. If Benning did that, it’s almost a certainty the Kraken pick Schmidt up. He’s going to have a bounce back year this year. Last year was all sort of an anomaly in terms of a season. Like, the entire team had &^@#ing COVID for crying out loud, and they were expected to continue to play games. It’s crazy. After experiencing something like that, I can see this team becoming even more resilient moving forward. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wasn’t Wallstedt kind of bad this season though, including the U18s?  

Wallstedt didn't play the U18 this year. He played 22 SHL games and posted 2.23 GAA for an 18yo I'd say that's rather impressive. At the U20 WJC where its often a high scoring affair he played 2 games posting 2.40 GAA. 

Ya he's pretty good Alf.

• Thanks 1