The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Really easy to have the best player from this draft (in three years) to be a guy selected outside of the top five.  There just seems to be a Maybe attached to every guy.

Power - intensity?  Will he come out of college?

Edvinson - Brains?

Eklund - too light?

Clarke - Skating?

And the list continues right through.  

Absolutely. The best player could end up being any of the guys you mentioned and there’s probably another 7 or 8 names we could add to that list now nevermind guys that will surprise all the analysts and fans in the next year or 2. Some of these guys will boom and some will bust, hopefully our guy (whoever it is) will boom. Im Sure Kent Johnson isn’t the popular pick on this site but I love what he could bring, him and Petey could potentially be magic together, or he could bring a little more offense out of a Horvat so he tops my list of guys that could potentially be at 9, McTavish though I think he’s probably gone before 9 could really help us too, another player in the vain of Horvat would add a lot to our character and just make us tough to play against. We have some exciting potential with this pick!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Absolutely. The best player could end up being any of the guys you mentioned and there’s probably another 7 or 8 names we could add to that list now nevermind guys that will surprise all the analysts and fans in the next year or 2. Some of these guys will boom and some will bust, hopefully our guy (whoever it is) will boom. Im Sure Kent Johnson isn’t the popular pick on this site but I love what he could bring, him and Petey could potentially be magic together, or he could bring a little more offense out of a Horvat so he tops my list of guys that could potentially be at 9, McTavish though I think he’s probably gone before 9 could really help us too, another player in the vain of Horvat would add a lot to our character and just make us tough to play against. We have some exciting potential with this pick!

We've been looking for a play driving winger to play with Bo, and this Johnson kid could be that guy.  So, like you say, the player we get at nine has the potential to fill an important need for the club, be it on wing, center, or D.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Man, if Bernier is there at 9th, Canucks absolutely have to take him. I like McTavish, but how can you pass up on Berniers? LOL 

I think he has a high floor but not the highest ceiling.

so some gms/scouts could have him below certain guys in the top of the draft. 

honestly this years draft can go so many different ways I’m really excited to see how it goes down

• Like 2

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

We don’t have very many RHD prospects in the system, unless I’m mistaken? 

RHD is a sought after commodity in the league. The more we have of those, the better. It’s also a position that’s hard to fill. Trading for one usually costs quite a bit, doesn’t it? LHD more common, requires less assets. 

I wouldn’t be against picking BPA in both the 1st and 2nd rounds. If that nets us players who can play in the NHL and contribute to the team. I’m down and all for that. 

I agree 100% but if there is a forward or an unreal goalie prospect or a LHD prospect that’s head and heels better over our next ranked rhd we can’t make that reach. We need the best impact player that our scouts believe in at the pick. That’s just my opinion.

would I love a rhd to be selected there 100%. 

but it may also not be a huge position of need in 3 years.

We do have Woo coming, we do have Myers locked up fo awhile and Hughes could always slot over to the right no problem if we got him a really strong defensive partner on the left side.

i just never think drafting for need is a good idea in the first round or even top of 2nd round unless that player is close to nhl ready and it fits the timeline of that need or if on our ranking it’s very close between two guys.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Man, if Bernier is there at 9th, Canucks absolutely have to take him. I like McTavish, but how can you pass up on Berniers? LOL 

That’s the interesting part because McTavish and Beniers are the only true C prospects being mocked in the top 10.

makes me wonder if a Raty / Luscius will sneak up higher.

but ya I’d be pretty pumped if we got a quality kid and C prospect like Beniers or McTavish at 9.

im wondering if Turcotte >, =, < Beniers

i saw this on Hf and thought it was funny (not saying I agree though):

My take on this debate:

Matt Beniers = Charlie Conway

Kent Johnson = Adam Banks

Take your pick

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Really easy to have the best player from this draft (in three years) to be a guy selected outside of the top five.  There just seems to be a Maybe attached to every guy.

Power - intensity?  Will he come out of college?

Edvinson - Brains?

Eklund - too light?

Clarke - Skating?

And the list continues right through.  

Clarke is a strong skater?

watch him skate the puck out for the men’s team

there are clips too where he is under pressure form forecheckers and he evades then with ease and gets the puck up fast literally looking like Quinn Hughes. And that’s as a kid against men, professional men’s forechecking too

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

That’s the interesting part because McTavish and Beniers are the only true C prospects being mocked in the top 10.

but ya I’d be pretty pumped if we got a quality kid and C prospect like Beniers or McTavish at 9.

My take on this debate:

Take your pick

Haha that’s hilarious. You go Banks over Conway al day. Conway was trash but I think you go Beniers over Johnson without a doubt, unfortunately I don’t think we will get that option. I think Turcotte>Beniers, Turcotte had stronger prospects go ahead of him. Hughes looked the part of a real first overall pick, Kakko wasn’t far behind him, Dach looked like a legit C and Byram a high upside Dman with size and phenomenal skating ability 

1 hour ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I think Beniers is a lock to go before McTavish but I don’t think McTavish is necessarily going to be there for us. The difference between Haytons draft and this draft is that in Haytons there was 2 surefire top 2 picks so that’s gonna push him further down draft boards, in a draft year like this teams top 2s could vary insanely. The Hayton comparable wasn’t for player, it was that a Center can go higher then Wingers that are projected to go higher then them prior to the draft because of position 

I understand C can go higher. Kotkaniemi and Hayton are fantastic examples of that.

i just thought they were extreme examples because no one had hayton  ranked top 5 from what I can remember? Maybe my memory is wrong here though.

even kotkaniemi I don’t think he was ranked high on most lists but on mocks he would go to Montreal because it was leaked they were high on him and wanted a C

8 minutes ago, R3aL said:

My take on this debate:

Take your pick

Why would anyone take a cake eater?

Conway is heart. He will be what you need come playoff time.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Haha that’s hilarious. You go Banks over Conway al day. Conway was trash but I think you go Beniers over Johnson without a doubt, unfortunately I don’t think we will get that option. I think Turcotte>Beniers, Turcotte had stronger prospects go ahead of him. Hughes looked the part of a real first overall pick, Kakko wasn’t far behind him, Dach looked like a legit C and Byram a high upside Dman with size and phenomenal skating ability 

Conway has no triple deke or C material though! Haha

oh ya that’s why I’m curious the difference between turcotte and beniers. Be interesting to see who ends up being the better player long term for me 

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I understand C can go higher. Kotkaniemi and Hayton are fantastic examples of that.

i just thought they were extreme examples because no one had hayton  ranked top 5 from what I can remember? Maybe my memory is wrong here though.

even kotkaniemi I don’t think he was ranked high on most lists but on mocks he would go to Montreal because it was leaked they were high on him and wanted a C

I don’t recall seeing Hayton top 5 but it was obvious leading up to the draft that Kotkaniemi was going to the Habs. Hayton was an extreme example, I just went with it because it was recent. And although Cam Robinson has him 2 (I really like Cam, he’s excellent) he’s in the minority having him in the top 5. I believe McTavish is generally in the 8-12 range by most scouting outlets

20 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Conway is all heart and nothing else haha. He was so bad that they needed him behind the bench to win gold and not on the ice

Does whatever it takes to win a championship. That's all that matters!

22 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I don’t recall seeing Hayton top 5 but it was obvious leading up to the draft that Kotkaniemi was going to the Habs. Hayton was an extreme example, I just went with it because it was recent. And although Cam Robinson has him 2 (I really like Cam, he’s excellent) he’s in the minority having him in the top 5. I believe McTavish is generally in the 8-12 range by most scouting outlets

Wouldn't read too much into Cam Robinson's rankings. I remember very well that he had Peyton Krebs and Alex Newhook in the top 10 in his last draft ranking ahead of the draft.

Alex Newhook selected 16th overall

Peyton Krebs  selected  17th overall

Might have been the home bias that Cam ranked both canadian prospects way higher than they should have been. It was crystal clear that especially Krebs would fall because of his severe injury.

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Wouldn't read too much into Cam Robinson's rankings. I remember very well that he had Peyton Krebs and Alex Newhook in the top 10 in his last draft ranking ahead of the draft.

Might have been the home bias that Cam ranked both canadian prospects way higher than they should have been. It was crystal clear that especially Krebs would fall because of his severe injury.

Regardless of where they were picked the both probably deserved top 10 recognition. If Podkolzin hadn't fallen to us I would have been very happy with either of those 2.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Im not putting much stock into him having McTavish at 2. But those players from last year could be good rankings, we won’t know for another few years really. He doesn’t project where players will go, he projects where he think they should go. Newhook looks like a top 10 talent and Krebs looks quite good as well even after coming off a terrible Injury his draft year 

32 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Central Scouting does have McTavish at #2 for NA skaters as well. 

• Like 1