The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Does whatever it takes to win a championship. That's all that matters!

They won the championship despite him not because of him. The bash brothers played a bigger role then him, the backup goalie played a bigger role, a kid that couldn’t stop played a bigger role, a kid they picked up at a steeet hockey game in the middle of the tournament played a bigger role, a cowboy played a bigger role, a movie theatre attendant played a bigger role. Conway was just there haha 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Central Scouting does have McTavish at #2 for NA skaters as well. 

That’s right I forgot he took a big leap on the latest rankings. I’ve been saying I think he’s gone before we pick. Most rankings he is outside the top 5 but Central Scouting does a great job every year at putting their lists together

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Central Scouting does have McTavish at #2 for NA skaters as well. 

Yup, McTavish is almost certainly gone before we pick.  It's looking more and more like we will be left with a choice between Johnson and Gunther.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

It's Weber, Subban, Hoglander, O'Reilly, Bergeron, Keith, Neal.  Debrincat, Hart.

So....we got a good shot at something

Roman Schmidt, Logan Mailloux, maybe Scott Morrow are right around there.  All are big RHD.  Go for the highest skill level at 9, big RHD at 40.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

They won the championship despite him not because of him. The bash brothers played a bigger role then him, the backup goalie played a bigger role, a kid that couldn’t stop played a bigger role, a kid they picked up at a steeet hockey game in the middle of the tournament played a bigger role, a cowboy played a bigger role, a movie theatre attendant played a bigger role. Conway was just there haha 

Conway was the glue of the team. He gave up his spot so the cake eater could play. He recruited the knucklepuck kid. Everyone on the team knew his contributions towards their success. Classic case of needing to see the game beyond the stat line ;)

Plus Coach Bombay was sleeping with his mom to keep loose and be able to focus on coaching. Charlie didn't let that be a distraction to the team. Ultimate team player!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I don’t recall seeing Hayton top 5 but it was obvious leading up to the draft that Kotkaniemi was going to the Habs. Hayton was an extreme example, I just went with it because it was recent. And although Cam Robinson has him 2 (I really like Cam, he’s excellent) he’s in the minority having him in the top 5. I believe McTavish is generally in the 8-12 range by most scouting outlets

Well I linked two 2s a 7 and a 8 safe to say Hayton wasn’t even being talked about like that pre draft. I’m curious to see bob mac final rankings cause those are pretty reflective of the leagues draft boards.

I think McTavish will be higher on his final one

38 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Wouldn't read too much into Cam Robinson's rankings. I remember very well that he had Peyton Krebs and Alex Newhook in the top 10 in his last draft ranking ahead of the draft.

Alex Newhook selected 16th overall

Peyton Krebs  selected  17th overall

Might have been the home bias that Cam ranked both canadian prospects way higher than they should have been. It was crystal clear that especially Krebs would fall because of his severe injury.

Honestly I was super high on both those guys too and still am. Imo he ranked them well. Time will tell still though 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Well I linked two 2s a 7 and a 8 safe to say Hayton wasn’t even being talked about like that pre draft. I’m curious to see bob mac final rankings cause those are pretty reflective of the leagues draft boards.

I think McTavish will be higher on his final one

He was in the 9-12 range in a deeper draft, McTavish is still in the 8-12 range in multiple scouting services. Similarly talked about players in their draft processes 

D2FA4CC7-2041-4045-82B0-5EA6E12D4599.png

42 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Wouldn't read too much into Cam Robinson's rankings. I remember very well that he had Peyton Krebs and Alex Newhook in the top 10 in his last draft ranking ahead of the draft.

Alex Newhook selected 16th overall

Peyton Krebs  selected  17th overall

Might have been the home bias that Cam ranked both canadian prospects way higher than they should have been. It was crystal clear that especially Krebs would fall because of his severe injury.

Cam's rankings are almost always from a fantasy prospective as he used to be a writer at Dobberhockey (fantasy site). I'm not sure if that tune has changed as I don't think he writes for them anymore, but I know he used to rank largely to upside in fantasy vs real life value. He is very knowledgeable though, I personally value his rankings pretty high.

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Ranking the C's I'm not talking about the Johnsons and the Eklunds just guys who project to play C in the NHL.

1 Beniers

2 Mctavish

3 Sillinger

4 Svechkov

5 Raty

6 Samoskovich

7 Borgault

8 Salminen

9 Lazutin

10 Helenius

re.

Is Sillinger a projected C too? I was under the impression that he wasn't a pure centre like Beniers or McTavish.

edit: same with Raty.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Is Sillinger a projected C too? I was under the impression that he wasn't a pure centre like Beniers or McTavish.

edit: same with Raty.

I mean I guess you could lump Samoskovich in there too but that being said I see these guys more as Centers who can play wing more so than wingers who can play C.

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I mean I guess you could lump Samoskovich in there too but that being said I see these guys more as Centers who can play wing more so than wingers who can play C.

I mean, many projected Petey to play wing once he got to the NHL. Boy am I glad they were proved wrong!

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup, McTavish is almost certainly gone before we pick.  It's looking more and more like we will be left with a choice between Johnson and Gunther.  

Id say maybe 50-50 there are some good players in the top 9. If McTavish and Wallstedt are gone, then we get a choice of Johnson and Guenther which is fine by me. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup, McTavish is almost certainly gone before we pick.

I'm not so sure about that. But in the event he gets taken by a team like Columbus, Detroit or San Jose, it'll push another good player down. Very possibly a D man like Clarke. I think LA takes a skilled winger at 8 like Johnson or Guenther.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Id say maybe 50-50 there are some good players in the top 9. If McTavish and Wallstedt are gone, then we get a choice of Johnson and Guenther which is fine by me. 

I'd rather Guenther. I think he's a top-5 player in this draft. Adding another righty would balance out our top-6 too.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm not so sure about that. But in the event he gets taken by a team like Columbus, Detroit or San Jose, it'll push another good player down. Very possibly a player like Clarke. I think LA takes a forward at 8.

I'm don't think that there's a certainty that McTavish goes in the top 6 or 7 either.

Hopefully, some of the teams preceding us go off the board a bit. This is how we landed Hughes and Podkolzin 

2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'd rather Guenther. I think he's a top-5 player in this draft. Adding another righty would balance out our top-6 too.

Id personally prefer Johnson but good with either both have game breaking skills. Id maybe choose the one that interviews the best we cant afford another Virtanen or someone who thinks they are above the team. Great character guys like Boeser and Horvat have worked out well for us.