The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I mean, many projected Petey to play wing once he got to the NHL. Boy am I glad they were proved wrong!

Are they??? Is he???? 

Ill use 2020 stats because EP missed more games than he played this year. 

JT Miller took 718 faceoffs winning 59.2% 

EP took a whopping 141 faceoffs winning 41.8% 

IMO EP is far from ready to handle 1C duty without a dedicated C riding shotty with him.  

• Upvote 2

So on the subject of ranking/picking BPA vs positional need....  

Benning’s team in the past has done this: they meet for their pre-draft discussion and after hours and hours of conversation come to a top 45-50 ranked list.  
The rest of the players are ranked based on their position, so they’ll have RHD ranked amongst each other.  

That’s why I think that Canucks will draft BPA for the first two rounds and maybe even the third round because I’m almost certain that they will have someone left from their top 45-50 list.  

This was a very interesting detail that was revealed in one of their behind the scenes videos (or an interview? ) 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Will Guenther be better than Boeser?

If not, then pass

Hard to project. I think he will be a more well rounded player in the NHL. Kid has a great head for the game, plays a style that will likely translate well. Goes to hard areas, and has lethal offense to boot. Boeser took a huge leap the last season though. He looked much more well rounded and IMO was our best forward this year overall.

I think Guenther will be a top 5 player in this draft when everything is said and done. I really like his game and realistically at 9 he is beat case scenario after only Clarke dropping to us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Id personally prefer Johnson but good with either both have game breaking skills. Id maybe choose the one that interviews the best we cant afford another Virtanen or someone who thinks they are above the team. Great character guys like Boeser and Horvat have worked out well for us. 

I want to like Johnson more but I have a hard time figuring him out as a prospect. My physio/chiropractor guy knows Kent because they work out at the same facility in Burnaby, and he sounds like a really, really good kid. Sounds like the opposite of a troubled partyboy like Jake. Humble, hard-working, and obviously very talented. But I don't have a scouts eye, and I don't know how good he projects to be - making me shy of him. I could definitely see one of the teams in the 6-8 range picking him though.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Are they??? Is he???? 

IMO EP is far from ready to handle 1C duty without a dedicated C riding shotty with him.  

I want miller to C and petey to play wing. I dont know why everyone is so obsessed on moving our leading scorer to 4c

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I want to like Johnson more but I have a hard time figuring him out as a prospect. My physio/chiropractor guy know's Kent because they work out at the same facility in Burnaby, and he sounds like a really, really good kid. Sounds like the opposite of a troubled partyboy like Jake. Humble, hard-working, and obviously very talented. But I don't have a scouts eye, and I don't know how good he projects to be - making me shy of him. I could definitely see one of the teams in the 6-8 range picking him though.

Johnson is potentially the best offensive player in this draft in terms of hands/shiftiness. He has great agility and with his IQ he uses all his strengths at a high level. I’m a big fan of the kid, he has absurd skill 

Just now, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Johnson is potentially the best offensive player in this draft in terms of hands/shiftiness. He has great agility and with his IQ he uses all his strengths at a high level. I’m a big fan of the kid, he has absurd skill 

I don't have him going before us in my mock, but I think LA takes him if Guenther is gone. Heck, they might even prefer him over Guenther...

3 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I've been hearing the same as well, but I feel the Nucks need different elements. Although, Benning was very high on Zegras and both players share many of the same elements...

2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I don't have him going before us in my mock, but I think LA takes him if Guenther is gone. Heck, they might even prefer him over Guenther...

Yeah it’s a tough year to project where guys will go. Regardless there’s going to be good players to choose from at 9. A team ahead of us could love Lysell or Lucious and take them. Hell we could love one of those players or one of a handful of other players not mentioned on here. Going to be very interesting and exciting 

1 minute ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Yeah it’s a tough year to project where guys will go. Regardless there’s going to be good players to choose from at 9. A team ahead of us could love Lysell or Lucious and take them. Hell we could love one of those players or one of a handful of other players not mentioned on here. Going to be very interesting and exciting 

I'm huge on Lysell. He's a player I'd be over the moon with.

21 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Are they??? Is he???? 

I want miller to C and petey to play wing. I dont know why everyone is so obsessed on moving our leading scorer to 3c

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, hammertime said:

I dunno man.

Price, Flower, Brodeur, Luongo, Fuhr, Barasso, Rask, Dubnyk, Vasilevski, Spencer Knight looks like a beaut. All 1st round picks.

Rick Dipetro is more the exception than the rule.

I do like Sillinger as well though I shaved him and Svechkov off the list for simplicity as they are a bit more reaching than Lysell, Edvinsson.

Lets go back to 1995 and folks can decide for themselves. 20 years makes for a good sample size, and it's just too early to say for goalie picked in the last five years (although yes, Knight is looking super legit). So looking at '95-'15, only goalies picked in the top 20.

Good picks:

J.S. Giguere 13

Roberto Luongo 4

M.A. Fleury 1

Devan Dubynk 14

Carey Price 5

Andrei Vasilievsky 19

Somewhat debatable:

Martin Biron 16

Kari Lehtonen 2

Jonathan Bernier 11

Jack Campbell 10

Wasted picks:

Patrick DesRochers 14

Mathieu Chouinard 15

Brian Finley 6

Rick DiPietro 1

Brent Krahn 9

Pascal Leclaire 8

Dan Blackburn 10

Al Montoya 6

Marek Schwartz 17

Riku Helenius 15

Chet Pickard 18

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

He was in the 9-12 range in a deeper draft, McTavish is still in the 8-12 range in multiple scouting services. Similarly talked about players in their draft processes 

D2FA4CC7-2041-4045-82B0-5EA6E12D4599.png

We don’t have final rankings yet for all the same.

im just saying if McTavish goes top 5 I don’t think anyone will bat an eyelash when Hayton went we were like HOLY F NO WAY we getting ZADINA OR HUGHES!!

it was really surprising.

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

im just saying if McTavish goes top 5 I don’t think anyone will bat an eyelash when Hayton went we were like HOLY F NO WAY we getting ZADINA OR HUGHES!!

I agree, I think McTavish is gone by our pick and I agree that Hayton was surprising but had he not gone 5 he wouldn’t have slid much further, it’s rumoured that the Canucks really wanted him. And he was also in a deeper/better draft class. McTavish has less competition to fight against so of course it won’t shock the world if he goes top 5. It’s probably more likely he goes just outside the top 5 but regardless he’s going to go high 

7 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I think P.L. Dubois is a better comparison, in that Hayton was a surprise right up until the draft. Dubois flew up the rankings late in the season and ended up ranked first in N.A. according to Central Scouting (Matthews was listed as Europe). Nobody who was paying attention was surprised when Dubois went 3rd. McTavish ends up ranked 2nd in N.A. according to Central this year. Nobody who is paying attention this year will be surprised if McTavish goes top five or close.

Edit: oh, wait, that's exactly what you were saying. This is what happens when you jump into the middle of a discussion half-cocked.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lets go back to 1995 and folks can decide for themselves. 20 years makes for a good sample size, and it's just too early to say for goalie picked in the last five years (although yes, Knight is looking super legit). So looking at '95-'15, only goalies picked in the top 20.

Good picks:

J.S. Giguere 13

Roberto Luongo 4

M.A. Fleury 1

Devan Dubynk 14

Carey Price 5

Andrei Vasilievsky 19

Somewhat debatable:

Martin Biron 16

Kari Lehtonen 2

Jonathan Bernier 11

Jack Campbell 10

Wasted picks:

Patrick DesRochers 14

Mathieu Chouinard 15

Brian Finley 6

Rick DiPietro 1

Brent Krahn 9

Pascal Leclaire 8

Dan Blackburn 10

Al Montoya 6

Marek Schwartz 17

Riku Helenius 15

Chet Pickard 18

I suspect though that if you make a similar list for any position, you'll get a similar breakdown. The only advantage for forwards or defense is there is more room for them to crack a roster thus a higher chance to make the NHL in different roles even if they were drafted for those roles.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I want miller to C and petey to play wing. I dont know why everyone is so obsessed on moving our leading scorer to 3c

How about moving our leading scorer to 1c?

And Petey to 2c where he could assumedly find easier minutes with Bo and Pearson playing hard 3c offensive/match-up minutes

Just not sure who all the wingers are on both those top 2 lines

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm not so sure about that. But in the event he gets taken by a team like Columbus, Detroit or San Jose, it'll push another good player down. Very possibly a D man like Clarke. I think LA takes a skilled winger at 8 like Johnson or Guenther.

If Clarke falls to us at 9 i will give up booze for a week.  Okay a day.  Okay an hour.  Okay I'll give up my Vegan diet.  There, that's it.  

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1