The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Top 20. Cole Sillinger, C, Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)
Another good goal scoring prospect whose stock has probably been affected badly by the pandemic. I do think he is a tier below Lucius with even worse staking. So baring his bloodline or other insider scouting knowledge i find it hard to believe he would go before Lucius, Johnson and McTavish

I would put Sillinger as my alternative top 9-11 guy if all the other higher ranked top 10 forwards and defensemen are gone. I have stated previously I would not take a goalie in the top 10 and I purt a premium on the centre position. 

Sillinger to me is in the Horvat mold and is a guy you can win with. That said I would be happier with the likes of McTavish, Johnson, Guenther et al but Sillinger will be a very good player and is a guy who could help the Canucks and should not be overlooked shoud all these guys go ahead of him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Amaneey said:

Simon Edvinsson, LHD, Frolunda-SHL Feb. 5, 2003 | 6-foot-4 | 198 pounds 

Skating: Average

Puck Skills: Average

Hockey Sense: Average

Compete: Average 

Edvinsson was impressive in the junior ranks in Sweden. He was good, but not amazing at varying pro levels and was an anchor for Sweden’s U18 team internationally. He stands out instantly as a 6-foot-4 defenseman with legit offensive skill. It’s rare to see a player his size lead a rush or make a play off the blue line and dangle through opponents consistently like he does. Edvinsson is also quite a good skater for his size. His straightaway speed is just OK, but he’s got great edgework, showing the first step and quick turns to elude pressure and create clean exits and entries. Defensively his size and skating allow him to close gaps and make a lot of stops and he’s not afraid to be physical. He’s not a dynamic playmaker, but Edvinsson can make the heads-up first pass and shows some power-play poise. In a sentence, Edvinsson projects as a quality top-four defenseman and on a power-play unit with the potential to play higher in an NHL lineup. 

I don't agree with this at all.  Edvinsson is quite elusive on skates and his skating just looks awkward due to his size.  If you watch him play, he accelerates quite well and his edgework is fantastic.  Top speed may be limited, but he's a defenceman, so acceleration is more important. 

Compete is also much higher than just average.  Again, just watch him play.

Puck skills is higher than average too.  He stickhandles very well in traffic.

In the write-up, he even talks about all of this lol :blink:

I'd rate him more like this:

Skating: Above Average

Puck Skills:  Above Average

Hockey Sense:  Average

Compete:  Above Average

TIER 3:  Projected top of the lineup player

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I don't agree with this at all.  Edvinsson is quite elusive on skates and his skating just looks awkward due to his size.  If you watch him play, he accelerates quite well and his edgework is fantastic.  Top speed may be limited, but he's a defenceman, so acceleration is more important. 

Compete is also much higher than just average.  Again, just watch him play.

Puck skills is higher than average too.  He stickhandles very well in traffic.

In the write-up, he even talks about all of this lol :blink:

I'd rate him more like this:

Skating: Above Average

Puck Skills:  Above Average

Hockey Sense:  Average

Compete:  Above Average

TIER 3:  Projected top of the lineup player

If Edvinsson gets picked by us, it is in the hopes that he can be Edler 2.0 down the road

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think he does everything a bit better than Edler. 

I think Edler has been underrated for quite awhile.  He has had 4 or 5 straight coaches, all with different styles, who relied on him as our top defenseman.  PP, PK, and the most overall minutes essentially for 12 years, through ups and downs, wins and losses and many teammates and coaches.

If GMJB thinks Edvinsson is better than Edler and is the bpa, I hope he picks him regardless of current team need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think Edler has been underrated for quite awhile.  He has had 4 or 5 straight coaches, all with different styles, who relied on him as our top defenseman.  PP, PK, and the most overall minutes essentially for 12 years, through ups and downs, wins and losses and many teammates and coaches.

If GMJB thinks Edvinsson is better than Edler and is the bpa, I hope he picks him regardless of current team need.

That just goes to show you that we have been lacking high end defensive skill for awhile. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Don't get me wrong.  Edler has been one of this franchises' best defencemen of all time.  He has been a steady top pairing defenceman for years for us.

Edvinsson, IMO, does everything a bit better than Edler.  Whether or not he puts it all together in the NHL for an entire career remains to be seen, but I believe that is the reason why Edvinsson was ranked as high as #2 or #3 this past year on draft rankings.  IF he puts it all together, I see him as a #1 all situations defenceman.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That just goes to show you that we have been lacking high end defensive skill for awhile. 

Sure, but Edler has been a godsend at the 91st overall player.  We have to keep in mind that only a few teams have Lidstroms, Prongers, Karlssons, etc... most teams top defenseman are not Norris Trophy winners.  They are just very good defensemen, which includes Edler.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

In fact, if he does take Edvinsson, get him on the defenseman factory, Kelowna Rockets, for the next year or two, like they did for Edler.

25 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Sure, but Edler has been a godsend at the 91st overall player.  We have to keep in mind that only a few teams have Lidstroms, Prongers, Karlssons, etc... most teams top defenseman are not Norris Trophy winners.  They are just very good defensemen, which includes Edler.

That's true. Edler used to drive me crazy with his defensive gaffes and slow feet but I've come to realize there are not many complete defenseman out there. He has definitely done a yeomans work for us.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I think he does everything a bit better than Edler. 

I would hope so considering he is very likely to go top 10, it is like he might turn out like we all had hoped Edler would be early in his career. Still had a good career no doubt but unless its for under 2m and does NOT have a NMC or full NTC it is time to walk away and see what all them young LHD's can do for us and we can bring in a cheap LHD veteran for 1 year, maybe they bring back Jordie Benn for under 1m?

1 minute ago, Dats hockey said:

Just curious how you guys think about Kent Johnson and how he would mesh with Green. I see this as not a fit 2 conflicting styles of player and coaching

Any coach will prefer players who work hard on and off the ice, are smart, skilled, and competitive.  If Johnson is those things, then Green (and any coach) will play the guy lots. Does Johnson have those qualities?  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Any coach will prefer players who work hard on and off the ice, are smart, skilled, and competitive.  If Johnson is those things, then Green (and any coach) will play the guy lots. Does Johnson have those qualities?  

Johnson competes and knows his role in the Dzone, if there was a knock it’s just his size and maybe his willingness to try too much in the offensive zone and if he’s willing to learn, which id assume he is, then he will learn to pick his spots for offensive creativity and not do too much at times. TG and Johnson would get along fine 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Johnson competes and knows his role in the Dzone, if there was a knock it’s just his size and maybe his willingness to try too much in the offensive zone and if he’s willing to learn, which id assume he is, then he will learn to pick his spots for offensive creativity and not do too much at times. TG and Johnson would get along fine 

If all other factors are equal, always draft the most skill.  Sure seems like Johnson has elite skill.  

Johnson works hard on the ice for sure - maybe sometimes too hard ?  He is really active on D, leads transition and moves a lot on Offence. He is far from a Goldy type player who can't contribute at both ends of the ice. 

I think the big question will be can he grow and learn to be part of a system the same way that Hoglander has - that will make or break his deployment with Green.  I think if the scouts think that might be the case he will be gone top 5 no prob tho as that would put him into EP level potential.

I really like K.J as a prospect and would be very happy if we picked him. 

Edvinsson scares me the most of any of the top 10 if i'm honest.  Maybe that is just Jake recency bias or maybe I just watched the 3 games he was horrible in. I have heard he has been more consistent and made fewer mistakes in recent games.  I don't see the Edler comparisons - I still think O.J is a really good Edler comp and despite a few struggles this season still looks better ( and fitter ) than Edler did at a similar age.  I think a better comparison for Edvinsson is Tyler Myers - his staking and defending reminds me a lot of Myers and if you get peak Myers he will be a very good pick - if you get brain fart Myers, then look out... 

• Thanks 2