The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

20 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think Edler has been underrated for quite awhile.  He has had 4 or 5 straight coaches, all with different styles, who relied on him as our top defenseman.  PP, PK, and the most overall minutes essentially for 12 years, through ups and downs, wins and losses and many teammates and coaches.

If GMJB thinks Edvinsson is better than Edler and is the bpa, I hope he picks him regardless of current team need.

In fact, if he does take Edvinsson, get him on the defenseman factory, Kelowna Rockets, for the next year or two, like they did for Edler.

25 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Sure, but Edler has been a godsend at the 91st overall player.  We have to keep in mind that only a few teams have Lidstroms, Prongers, Karlssons, etc... most teams top defenseman are not Norris Trophy winners.  They are just very good defensemen, which includes Edler.

That's true. Edler used to drive me crazy with his defensive gaffes and slow feet but I've come to realize there are not many complete defenseman out there. He has definitely done a yeomans work for us.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I think he does everything a bit better than Edler. 

I would hope so considering he is very likely to go top 10, it is like he might turn out like we all had hoped Edler would be early in his career. Still had a good career no doubt but unless its for under 2m and does NOT have a NMC or full NTC it is time to walk away and see what all them young LHD's can do for us and we can bring in a cheap LHD veteran for 1 year, maybe they bring back Jordie Benn for under 1m?

1 minute ago, Dats hockey said:

Just curious how you guys think about Kent Johnson and how he would mesh with Green. I see this as not a fit 2 conflicting styles of player and coaching

Any coach will prefer players who work hard on and off the ice, are smart, skilled, and competitive.  If Johnson is those things, then Green (and any coach) will play the guy lots. Does Johnson have those qualities?  

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Any coach will prefer players who work hard on and off the ice, are smart, skilled, and competitive.  If Johnson is those things, then Green (and any coach) will play the guy lots. Does Johnson have those qualities?  

Johnson competes and knows his role in the Dzone, if there was a knock it’s just his size and maybe his willingness to try too much in the offensive zone and if he’s willing to learn, which id assume he is, then he will learn to pick his spots for offensive creativity and not do too much at times. TG and Johnson would get along fine 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Johnson competes and knows his role in the Dzone, if there was a knock it’s just his size and maybe his willingness to try too much in the offensive zone and if he’s willing to learn, which id assume he is, then he will learn to pick his spots for offensive creativity and not do too much at times. TG and Johnson would get along fine 

If all other factors are equal, always draft the most skill.  Sure seems like Johnson has elite skill.  

Johnson works hard on the ice for sure - maybe sometimes too hard ?  He is really active on D, leads transition and moves a lot on Offence. He is far from a Goldy type player who can't contribute at both ends of the ice. 

I think the big question will be can he grow and learn to be part of a system the same way that Hoglander has - that will make or break his deployment with Green.  I think if the scouts think that might be the case he will be gone top 5 no prob tho as that would put him into EP level potential.

I really like K.J as a prospect and would be very happy if we picked him. 

Edvinsson scares me the most of any of the top 10 if i'm honest.  Maybe that is just Jake recency bias or maybe I just watched the 3 games he was horrible in. I have heard he has been more consistent and made fewer mistakes in recent games.  I don't see the Edler comparisons - I still think O.J is a really good Edler comp and despite a few struggles this season still looks better ( and fitter ) than Edler did at a similar age.  I think a better comparison for Edvinsson is Tyler Myers - his staking and defending reminds me a lot of Myers and if you get peak Myers he will be a very good pick - if you get brain fart Myers, then look out... 

• Thanks 2
20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

His defense is a big need improvement but smart skill maybe not the fastest. Try’s to do a little to much when needing to be simple

• Vintage 1
6 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Johnson is a Goldobin equivalent 

Green would play Roussel over him 

Oh God, definitely don't want a guy who refuses to play the game without the puck. Goldy was horrid unless the puck was on his stick.  And even then he was only just okay at that. That's exactly why the Avs got destroyed by the Knights.  The Avs top guys don't play very well without the puck.  Maybe a guy like McTavish would be a better pick than Johnson? 

In my views of Johnson I would say there are few similarities to Goldy. My concerns in drafting him would be - can he pull a complete game together, can he play as part of a system. Is he going to get caught too much in transition. Can he put on enough weight to compete with the big heavy teams in the playoffs.

I also think Mason Mctavish would be a great pickup for us . . . However if you want to make loose comparisons you could very much say he will be Brendan Gaunce 2.0. I think we already a pretty lightweight team which showed in last years playoffs - so maybe MM makes more sense for us, where as KJ will make more sense to a team above us that needs an injection of skill and can take a hit on size and strength due to the supporting cast ( Col, LA, SJ etc)

Given everything i'm fairly sure that it will come down to one of these two players that falls to us or Benning will reach a bit further and grab a Lucius, Lambos, Lysell or someone else who's name begins with L :picard: 

51 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Just curious how you guys think about Kent Johnson and how he would mesh with Green. I see this as not a fit 2 conflicting styles of player and coaching

Comes down to trust with Green. Look how long it;s taking him to trust Juolevi.

I'm not sure Green would trust Johnson (his high risk pays and defensive part of the game), and would probably want him in Utica/Abbotsford for the next few years to learn, like Jake. uggh

Edited by NUCKER67
56 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Johnson is a Goldobin equivalent 

Green would play Roussel over him 

Johnson is nothing close to goldobin. Johnson plays in all 3 zones and Johnson is also in another league offensively and is a better skater then Goldobin was. That’s an awful comparison 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If all other factors are equal, always draft the most skill.  Sure seems like Johnson has elite skill.  

He has Petey type skill and plays a similar game to Peteys in terms of effort in all zones. Obviously he’s not Petey but just in terms of comparable game type

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
41 minutes ago, Eddie said:

In my views of Johnson I would say there are few similarities to Goldy. My concerns in drafting him would be - can he pull a complete game together, can he play as part of a system. Is he going to get caught too much in transition. Can he put on enough weight to compete with the big heavy teams in the playoffs.

I also think Mason Mctavish would be a great pickup for us . . . However if you want to make loose comparisons you could very much say he will be Brendan Gaunce 2.0. I think we already a pretty lightweight team which showed in last years playoffs - so maybe MM makes more sense for us, where as KJ will make more sense to a team above us that needs an injection of skill and can take a hit on size and strength due to the supporting cast ( Col, LA, SJ etc)

Given everything i'm fairly sure that it will come down to one of these two players that falls to us or Benning will reach a bit further and grab a Lucius, Lambos, Lysell or someone else who's name begins with L :picard: 

The only miss in the first round after Benning overhauled the scouting department is OJ, which was largely health related.  If he has someone off the board he's high on, I trust him.

• Like 2