The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Just now, spook007 said:

Maybe, but he showed with Podz, that he was willing to wait... However, if he feels there's only a 50/50 chance his pick makes it in a couple of years, yes I can easily see him trade the pick as well...

I know I get real excited once I start to get to know of the Top Prospects at the Draft, thinking the Canucks will get a good one. And that might still happen, and in a way I hope it does.

My preference would be for Benning to fix his mess without sacrificing the future. We'll see what he does. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I agree with most of this. But if we trade for Reinhart after adding Miller then we lose out on 2 ELCs that should help the team and add over 10 million to our cap. I love Miller and am

happy with the trade but I worry about our cap outlook when the cap is going to be stagnant for the next couple years. We are re signing Hughes and Petey this year but Bo and JT and Podz and Hogz and Rathbone all need to be re signed and other then Pod the rest need to be done in the following 2 off seasons. Then maybe Gadjovich or Lind or OJ take a step forward in the nhl and they get paid more then what we’d think right now. We need to be cap conscious. I’ll take a player at 9 even if he needs a year or 2 of development with the chance he’ll come in even in a few years and help us at a million dollars over risking what Reinhart does for us

Yea but the player at 9 will likely need 2-3 years development and there are still no guarantees.

If Benning trades for Reinhart our top 6 is essentially set for the next 5 or 6 years. It also makes us more competitive while our young stars are in their prime.

No guarantees that player would be a top 6 player until they’re 24-25. That would mean a guy like Horvat is past his prime.

Unless there’s a D man there that we can’t pass on I’m open to trading the pick. Benning has shown he can find very good roster players in the 2nd round (Hoglander/Demko).

We would still be in line with what most competitive teams spend on their top 6.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

I think Button's latest mock is pretty dam good. He usually throws in a few curve balls to get people talking, like have L'Heureux top 10 - seriously hope he doesn't go to CGY tho, playing him and Tkchuck all the time would be hair pulling ... Lysell looks like the whipping boy this year - but i do think there is a good chance he could plummet to 20+ 

Pronmans on the other hand i thought was terrible. 

I'd do the Reinhart trade for #9 - I wouldn't add tho, unless its 'dead' salary outgoing.  I do really like the prospects that are available in our range but due to the pandemic and other factors they are likely 2 years out and then playing 8 mins a night for a year from there. Sam would be a great fit all over our top 6 and makes us a lot better straight away.  

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea but the player at 9 will likely need 2-3 years development and there are still no guarantees.

If Benning trades for Reinhart our top 6 is essentially set for the next 5 or 6 years. It also makes us more competitive while our young stars are in their prime.

No guarantees that player would be a top 6 player until they’re 24-25. That would mean a guy like Horvat is past his prime.

Unless there’s a D man there that we can’t pass on I’m open to trading the pick. Benning has shown he can find very good roster players in the 2nd round (Hoglander/Demko).

We would still be in line with what most competitive teams spend on their top 6.

If we are moving 9OA might it be better to target a top four D man, or the winger like Rhino?

What about Seth Jones?  He would cost more though

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

Holy man Craig is not high on Lysell at all. I don't want him at 9, but I still think he's a top 12 or so talent. Craig has him at the end of the first round.

Button had Virtanin in the second round. In fact he was the one and only source who had Virt so low. 

Seems about right now though.

Maybe he 7s on to something with Lysell....

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sure but we have no depth at that point and are strapped to do much. Our top 6 would look great but it looks more then fine now and I’d rather our bottom 6 upgrade, our defence upgrade. I just think there’s more pressing needs. Although I like Reinhart. We would just do things differently.

Also, everyone on this forum (myself included) rave about the way JB drafts. I think most people on this forum are well aware that his trades and signings are his weakness. He should make as many picks as he can and our homegrown team will contend. He keeps trying to expedite the rebuild which in the end means he’s taking shortcuts and that way doesn’t work. I want this team to win a cup and I think making your picks is the way to do it. Trading 2 firsts in 3 years in the cap era (while your team isn’t a contender) is a huge mistake IMO 

Edited by Marv-the-wet-bandit
  • Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

If we are moving 9OA might it be better to target a top four D man, or the winger like Rhino?

What about Seth Jones?  He would cost more though

I mean we need both so we either get one with a trade and the other through free agency, it doesn’t really matter.

Any impact player we can get that doesn’t cost us additional pieces like Hoglander or Rathbone I’m good with.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think Button's latest mock is pretty dam good. He usually throws in a few curve balls to get people talking, like have L'Heureux top 10 - seriously hope he doesn't go to CGY tho, playing him and Tkchuck all the time would be hair pulling ... Lysell looks like the whipping boy this year - but i do think there is a good chance he could plummet to 20+ 

Pronmans on the other hand i thought was terrible. 

I'd do the Reinhart trade for #9 - I wouldn't add tho, unless its 'dead' salary outgoing.  I do really like the prospects that are available in our range but due to the pandemic and other factors they are likely 2 years out and then playing 8 mins a night for a year from there. Sam would be a great fit all over our top 6 and makes us a lot better straight away.  

Pronman is terrible. Nothing but hot takes like usual from him. I gave up on his draft rankings years ago it seems like he just does it for attention. I mean, I understand a lot of this is based on the person doing the rankings personal opinion, but to have Cossa one spot ahead of Wallstedt is debatable and two spots ahead of Edvinsson seems insane to me.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I mean we need both so we either get one with a trade and the other through free agency, it doesn’t really matter.

Any impact player we can get that doesn’t cost us additional pieces like Hoglander or Rathbone I’m good with.

What if we could get Seth Jones for 9OA + Rathbone?  (Jones extended, of course)

I don't see how we can trade for Rhino, and afford a quality D man from the UFA ranks.  Aren't wingers cheaper?

7 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Sure but we have no depth at that point and are strapped to do much. Our top 6 would look great but it looks more then fine now and I’d rather our bottom 6 upgrade, our defence upgrade. I just think there’s more pressing needs. Although I like Reinhart. We would just do things differently.

Also, everyone on this forum (myself included) rave about the way JB drafts. I think most people on this forum are well aware that his trades and signings are his weakness. He should make as many picks as he can and our homegrown team will contend. He keeps trying to expedite the rebuild which in the end means he’s taking shortcuts and that way doesn’t work. I want this team to win a cup and I think making your picks is the way to do it. Trading 2 firsts in 3 years in the cap era (while your team isn’t a contender) is a huge mistake IMO 

Well Benning should be able to draft players to fill the bottom 6. Those players are also much easier to acquire in free agency. I think he’s already got a good jump start on that with guys like Highmore/Lockwood/MacEwan/Lind etc.

As for defense that will have to be filled over time through drafting a developing. Maybe next offseason when more cap opens up we go out and sign one there.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Well Benning should be able to draft players to fill the bottom 6. Those players are also much easier to acquire in free agency. I think he’s already got a good jump start on that with guys like Highmore/Lockwood/MacEwan/Lind etc.

As for defense that will have to be filled over time through drafting a developing. Maybe next offseason when more cap opens up we go out and sign one there.

Cap looks flat for the next couple years. Look at his signings for depth forwards, they not only get overpaid they also get some form of a NMC. I’d rather us make sure we can get our own guys locked up that are coming off the books the next 2 off-seasons. If I thought Reinhart pushed us over the edge I’d do it. He makes us better but I don’t think he puts us where we need to be. He makes every team

better but to what degree. We just disagree on this subject, and that’s fine

Just now, Alflives said:

What if we could get Seth Jones for 9OA + Rathbone?  (Jones extended, of course)

I don't see how we can trade for Rhino, and afford a quality D man from the UFA ranks.  Aren't wingers cheaper?

I don’t think we will be looking to sign an 8 million dollar d man unless we ship out someone like Schmidt or Myers.

Reinhart should be able to be signed at a fairly reasonable price with a hometown discount.

The D men we should be targeting are guys like Cernak, Savard, or Parayko. Guys that won’t likely cost a 1st and will be on more reasonable contracts. We already have Hughes and Rathbone as very good puck movers. We need a balance with gritty stay at home guys.

• Like 3

Multiple things trouble me about Jones : 

- Cap Hit ( rumours of 9-10M)- we'd end up spending too much on D unless we can move some $$$ out.  

- Another Offence first D. Add that to Hughes, Rathbone, Myers, Schmidt - thats a lot of wanderings from the back end that leads to some of the disasters we saw early season. 

The dude is a great player for sure tho. 

Sam would be cheaper - he can play center as well giving us some different lineup options and injury backup and he adds a level of smarts and passing that currently only Petey really brings to our top 9.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jones for Juolevi, and 9OA, I'd do that too. I think guys like Savard and Hamonic are more realistic.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think we will be looking to sign an 8 million dollar d man unless we ship out someone like Schmidt or Myers.

Reinhart should be able to be signed at a fairly reasonable price with a hometown discount.

The D men we should be targeting are guys like Cernak, Savard, or Parayko. Guys that won’t likely cost a 1st and will be on more reasonable contracts. We already have Hughes and Rathbone as very good puck movers. We need a balance with gritty stay at home guys.

Hypothetically what do you think a hometown discount looks like from Reinhart? He’s going to sign his extension shortly after the trade I think and he’s coming off his best numbers per game, he’s also a versatile player so even at a discount he’s going to get a raise on his 5.2 million he made this year. And then there’s also the chance he doesn’t give a hometown discount. He can play close enough to home if he goes to LA or Ana or Cgy if he wanted to. He has options of being close enough to home that he doesn’t need to give a discount. Now if he would sign a 6 or 7 year extension at a discount, under what he makes now, then I’m all for it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Jones for Juolevi, and 9OA, I'd do that too. I think guys like Savard and Hamonic are more realistic.

Jones at 8 million on the cap or Rhino and Hamonic at 9 million?  In which case are we better?  

6 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Hypothetically what do you think a hometown discount looks like from Reinhart? He’s going to sign his extension shortly after the trade I think and he’s coming off his best numbers per game, he’s also a versatile player so even at a discount he’s going to get a raise on his 5.2 million he made this year. And then there’s also the chance he doesn’t give a hometown discount. He can play close enough to home if he goes to LA or Ana or Cgy if he wanted to. He has options of being close enough to home that he doesn’t need to give a discount. Now if he would sign a 6 or 7 year extension at a discount, under what he makes now, then I’m all for it

4 years at 5.8M or 3 years at 6

12 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

4 years at 5.8M or 3 years at 6

That will give us 7 players of at least 5.5 million and 8 over 5. Hopefully Hoglander and Rathbone don’t ask for much on their extensions if that’s the case. Imagine OJ becoming a top 4 type Dman, won’t be able to afford him. If Podkolzin is the beast a lot of us hope and think he could become then it makes it a logistical nightmare to keep all of these young players to add Reinhart. I sure hope we just keep the pick

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

No thanks to Reinhart, I think he would cost too much and our bigger need is a RHD.

To those penciling him in as our third line centre, how much do you think Bo and Petey will want seeing his Reinhart make 5+?

• Cheers 1